The myth of MIA being better....

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by The-Kid, Dec 6, 2018.

1. photoweborama

photoweborama Strat-Talker

First off, I don’t care who makes it, a factory setup is near worthless. There are too many factors that change the guitar in storage and shipping. You should always have a new, or new to you guitar setup if you want to get the optimum out of the guitar.

Every single brand new guitar I’ve setup always needs something adjusted. And a large majority of my customers don’t even take their new guitars home. They bring them straight to me first.

Also, my customers tell me it’s harder to find a good guitar among the more expensive ones than the cheaper ones. But all of them set up right are going to play fantastic.

Oh, and that $20,000.00 1960 Strat I’ve worked on a few times really does exist. This is it: IMG_0023.jpg [emoji6]

2. davidrf

davidrf Strat-O-Master

I don't get why a very important aspect is always overlooked in this discussion: weight. Of all MIM and MIA Strat I had or tried in my life, in 90% of the cases the MIA were lighter than the MIMs (probably due to the more selected woods), and this is a very important factor IMO.

AfroBill likes this.
  3. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

The problem is that most comparisons are made between American Pro and MIM std or Squires. The Pro is about twice as expensive as a MIM std and the MIM is about twice as expensive as the Squire. In no case would that be a fair comparison if the purpose os said comparison is to deduce the best counrty of origin.

I have owned and in some cases still own guitars from Japan and China that if I had bought them new, would have cost me about the same as a new MIA Fender (I also own a MIA Fender and have played several others).

So IME, the "foreign" guitars as you foreigners :) tend to call them are no different, not better nor worse, to MIA guitars if you choose to compare similatly priced instruments.

The-Kid and Andrew Wasson like this.
  4. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

Probably, & then the Americans nicked it off us & did it all cheaper. That's what happened with the Industrial Revolution - we started it & then American businesses jumped in & undercut what we were doing. Typical.... :rolleyes:

So it would be no great surprise if it turned out that we invented ethnocentrism (it does seem likely, doesn't it?) & now the crown has been stolen from us by those folks over The Pond.

Oh well..... :(

abnormaltoy and The-Kid like this.
  5. Stratbats

Stratbats Senior Stratmaster

Agree 100%! Charlie Parker on a Grafton Acrylic alto is still Charlie Parker...

abnormaltoy likes this.
  6. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Senior Stratmaster

I love Gibson SG’s.

3 of the 4 i own, I bought online so I didn’t get to try them before owning them, each of them is stellar.

I have tried several Epiphone SGs in local stores and I haven’t found one I like, and would never buy one online.

I do like Epiphone guitars, just not their SG’s

I do not own any MIA Fenders, but I have a 1999 CIJ I would consider to be MIA quality. I do have a MIM strat and Tele.

When I’m in a store, I don’t think I have ever picked up a MIA Fender. I don’t hate them, they just don’t interest me.

I absolutely LOVE the Vintage Modified line of Squier guitars and am constantly drooling over them.

I hate the Affinity line of Squiers, I think they are junk.

So only Gibson SG’s are good enough for me, and for Telecasters and Stratocasters, Squiers are awesome!

Go figure...

abnormaltoy likes this.
  7. ocean

ocean Most Honored Senior Member

When I was shopping for my stratocaster, didn't know much about guitars or origins , just bought what I thought felt playing, ended up buying a MIA standard, but if didn't buy the American one, probably would have bought a classic vibe out of China I believe over the MIM one. Just what I liked not where it was made.

abnormaltoy and Andrew Wasson like this.
  8. 8livesleft

8livesleft Strat-Talk Member

I have a 2018 Mexican Strat now but used to own a 97 American Standard. I've also tried a 2003 Japanese strat, Squier Vintage Strat and a new American Strat just prior to my choosing to get the MIM strat.

That said, I honestly can't say that one is better than the other. They're all different.

And it's not just the origin but the time, which I find critical as well.

I like my current strat. It plays and sounds great. But so do all the others, even the Squier.

So, really, there's enough variation there from all makes, models, years for you to find what's best for you.

ocean, T Guitar Floyd and abnormaltoy like this.
  9. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Weight is a pretty important consideration for a lot of people but I don’t think it bears a direct relationship to quality or cost. I’ve got two Strats both MIM. One is a 90’s entry level guitar (probably basswood or Poplar) that weighs in at about 6lbs. The other is the higher end, Classic Player 60’s model with an alder body which weighs in at about 7lbs. I don’t think I ever weighed my American Standard but I can’t imagine it being lighter than my entry level MIM Strat. The American Pro’s I’m looking at these days feel heavier than my current guitars.

10. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Sounds familiar lmao

abnormaltoy likes this.
  11. jjudas

jjudas Strat-O-Master

I like Mexican Fenders. I also like Vintage Modified Squiers and SEs for mods. I do not like snobby attitudes about both brands. Some Squier people talk bad about Fenders and their price and quality. Some Fender people say Squiers are kid's guitars. I like both brands. I do not like the snobbery on both sides.

12. bsman

bsman Senior Stratmaster

upload_2018-12-9_9-44-58.jpeg

Attached Files:

abnormaltoy and The-Kid like this.
  13. Mike H

Mike H Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

Everyone knows that the only Strat worth owning is made from Ubobtainium wood with Vibranium pickups and Adamantium strings.

AfroBill and Hedgehogz70 like this.
  14. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

An interesting way to think about it is this:

You can get a real Fender as a MIA or MIM, as Fender owns those factories.

But the MIC and MII are not made by Fender, they are just guitars made in a factory that builds guitars for 100 other brands around the world. They stick a decal on it that says Fender, but it's not really a Fender.

That is why for some of the Squires, even Fender can't get you a replacement pickguard, lol

15. mijstrat72

mijstrat72 Strat-Talker

Here's one for ya...my Japanese built fender strat has American made pickups that were wound by a Mexican...and it plays just as well as any American made strat (or any strat for that matter) that I've played over the last 30 years.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  16. Count Glockula®

Count Glockula® Strat-O-Master

Have you owned an American made Fender? I do and I have no complaints on quality and sound. All of my USA Strats are in original condition and not going to change anything.

ocean, Namelyguitar and abnormaltoy like this.
  17. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

09FD9C68-3F2D-4024-94E6-D344E65BF7C5.jpeg

18. Dalendl

Dalendl Strat-Talker

Yes I have. 3 of them to be exact. All 3 had issues that I had problems with. Now to be fair, this was back in the 70's.
    None of them are still around.

19. Davey77

Davey77 Strat-O-Master

To be fair? funny none of my 70's Fenders have ever had a problem of any kind. Owned since the 70's.

20. T Guitar Floyd

T Guitar Floyd Senior Stratmaster

Aaah . . . so, that's the burr under your saddle. :whistling: :)