The negative post: What are you just not good at???

Cesspit

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 4, 2016
Oxford England
I am mediocre at everything I do, no flashes of genius or moments of glory. Been that way since as long as I can remember. The list of things I am rubbish at is endless so I won't even start.

At 66 I am well aware and used to my failings, fortunately you don't have to be very good at guitar to impress non players. Story of my life really.

stratosurf

Strat-O-Master
Nov 28, 2018
Surf City, NY
To everyone who said singing while playing, I'm with you. It's just flat out impossible and I marvel at people who can do it.

For the record, I can walk and chew gum at the same time. I can even walk and sing at the same time, and I'm sure I could sing and chew gum at the same time. But sing and play at the same time? Maybe in my next life. ;-)

Numbercruncher

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 28, 2017
Spokane, WA
I have played a long time and I'm not going to set the world on fire but I get my message across. I can write songs, I can play leads, I can play bass and record and play in front of people, no sweat. Old junker guitars that I work over end up playable and OK but not world beaters.

What can't I do????

I can't really paint. I see people doing really nice finishes with rattle cans and such and I have tried many times and I have some fatal flaw in my painting.

I also can manage to turn a 15 minute pickup install into a 2 hour odyssey. With things that are all nicely held and in a plane and easy to see I can do a decent solder, but give me the guts of a guitar and all bets are off. It EVENTUALLY gets done but it's silly that it takes me so long.

I guess I can also include comping jazz. Work on it a bit but I find it difficult.

How about you? What are you not good at??

I suck at saying no to people. I have struggled with that my whole life and need to have my guard up so people don't try to take advantage of me.

NC

Numbercruncher

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 28, 2017
Spokane, WA
I play a lot of instruments...Guitar, bass, trumpet, keyboards of all kind but I could'nt never figure how to play harmonicas..I tried a lot, but it always turned as a desaster...

Good for you. Not being able to play the harmonica is like not being able to play the bagpipes. It is also like not being good at hitting yourself in the head with a hammer.

NC

Dadocaster

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2015
Sachse TX behind the cemetary
To everyone who said singing while playing, I'm with you. It's just flat out impossible and I marvel at people who can do it.

For the record, I can walk and chew gum at the same time. I can even walk and sing at the same time, and I'm sure I could sing and chew gum at the same time. But sing and play at the same time? Maybe in my next life. ;-)

This is another thing that I do easily. I can sing while playing rhythm guitar and also while playing bass. Often harder on bass but I have done it.

Sarnodude

Most Honored Senior Member
Sep 26, 2015
Mukilteo
I am an inconsistent guitar player..some days I surprise, other days I disappoint.
I also lack the discipline to learn theory.

dirocyn

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 20, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
I'm a jack of all trades, better than average at a couple. I can do anything I care to try, as long as you don't need it done quick or pretty.

I am not as good at reading music as I'd like to be. And I kind of glaze over when people start talking music theory.

And I'm bad at connecting people's names with their faces.

MugHimself

Strat-O-Master
Jul 15, 2020
Connecticut
Hardest thing for me hands down is serving the song above my ego. Left to my own devices I will clutter every inch of sonic space with lead lines that just don’t need to be there. When composing I can edit my way around the clutter to create the right part but it tends to be a throwing it at the wall and seeing what sticks situation more than a natural feel for what space needs filling