Join Strat-Talk Today

The never-ending ratchet of conspicuous consumption

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Nate D, Aug 14, 2019.

1. mshivy

mshivy Most Honored Senior Member

I think we consume too much. I’m as frugal as I can be, living with Mrs Shivy and two daughters.
    I do have an obsession now with Overdrive pedals, but I’m not stopping. I wish I could, but I can’t stop!!

My 9 year old gets slime and LOL Dolls every week- she knows how to play her mother and grandma

Elvie, CigBurn, abnormaltoy and 2 others like this.
  2. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

How this point hit home for me is that I need to focus on playing and expressing myself. I think I’ve kind of lost that recently.

I have no problem with working hard and buying whatever you may like, but in terms of my gear what am I trying to say? What am I trying to accomplish. I’ve got a lot of amps and guitars and will probably buy more at some point. I do, however, want to ensure I’m missional about it.

You, @Electgumbo are one of the furthest things from what I was trying to say. You’re a missionary and I love what you do. :)

3. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

@Nate D

I guess somebody comparing us working stiffs and people with Teslas and private jets got my goat! I’m sure the majority of us belong in the working stiff camp. What the rich people do is beyond me. I do play their kids wedding receptions cause they pay good and it’s easy work.

I’m run on the motto “Get while the getting is good.” It may not always be that way so if I see I can swing it I swing.

It may effect me in the long run but what rich people do really doesn’t. I’ll never be one of them. The best I can hope for is to walk away from the table with something in my pocket too leave for my girls. What people with a G6 do is their business.

Neil.C, JB74, CigBurn and 3 others like this.
  4. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Senior Stratmaster

No. Don't even try to kid yourself. I've done some time in retail and continue to do site visits and customer service work in my current gig. There are just as many rude a-hole baby boomers as there are Gen X'ers as there are Millenials as there are Generation Z kids. It's a learned behavior from their parents, or lack of parenting.

5. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Senior Stratmaster

As someone who very recently made at least three long rambling posts in a thread I started on the intricacies of an upgraded bridge assembly, I'm guilty as charged. However, in my "old age" I now know how to call myself out when I am doing something just to do something for the sake of fiddling with gear vs. actually trying to accomplish something towards musical inspiration. An upgrade in gear is only useful if it's going to inspire your playing, which is the point of the whole thing.

I think this can translate to other areas of life. For most people, a car is an appliance. It would indeed be wasteful to spend beyond your means for a status symbol if it's not even something you really enjoy. Get a used Toyota Camry and be done with it. But if it's your outlet and your hobby, go crazy. Get a hot rod.

If your lawn is only there to keep the dirt from washing off your property during the rain, then forget about it. Mow over those weeds and don't give it a second thought. If you enjoy the results of a well groomed garden and it's a point of enjoyment (not stress put on you by your HOA) then knock yourself out.

But yeah, learn to recognize when you're wrapped into some sort of keeping up appearances thing and when to back away from things that aren't particularly important, even if people turn their nose up at you for rocking the '99 Civic and brown yard.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  6. rolandson

rolandson Still Breathing Strat-Talk Supporter

I've thought about this; the trappings of wealth...pleasure seekers in pursuit of personal entertainment....

Which I know is an over simplified stereotype, but being a judgemental ass I feel it's my duty.

Because I feel terribly guilty when I drive (my 10 year old Prius) past a group of people living in cardboard boxes and maybe a tarp to keep the rain out. (I felt it important to emphasize that I don't drive a Porsche or a Tesla, my intrinsic guilt and all)

And I think to myself...

There are too many of us. We keep it up and there won't be any of us.

sgarnett and abnormaltoy like this.
  7. 808K

808K Strat-O-Master

I was with a friend who was car shopping at a used car lot. At the far end of the lot was a two year old Maserati that was gorgeous. And at a ridiculously low price. I could have made the deal...but I just could not see myself driving that kind of car. Yes, it would be fun, a great ride...but it’s just not my personality.

I know a business owner worth nine figures who owns two Hyundais. No other cars. I respect that.

The key word in this conversation is “conspicuous.”

abnormaltoy, aiabx and rolandson like this.
  8. rolandson

rolandson Still Breathing Strat-Talk Supporter

can't help it...sorry.

abnormaltoy and 808K like this.
  9. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Except that to the extent there's harm done, it's from the actual consumption and the impacts of that consumption. The "conspicuous" part of it is just about appearances and really doesn't change the impact is has on folks a lot lower on the food chain. I mean, if the guy driving the Hyundais (who I don't believe make a hybrid or electric - apologies if I'm wrong) could afford to be driving a Prius or Tesla instead, the impact of driving those more conspicuous cars would be less than keeping down appearances by driving his Hyundais...

All of which is getting pretty far away from Nate's original point here, but it's come up...

-Ray

Elvie, Cerb, Nate D and 1 other person like this.
  10. sgarnett

sgarnett Strat-O-Master

That’s what concerns me. My daughter is only 15 ....

Nate D and abnormaltoy like this.
  11. sgarnett

sgarnett Strat-O-Master

There’s too much glass in my house to be throwing stones. Little by little though, I try to keep improving in little steps.

duzie, Nate D and abnormaltoy like this.
  12. merlinus

merlinus Strat-Talk Member

One secret of happiness is to want what you already have.

13. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I live in a 1,600 sq ft house in an older neighborhood in Santa Rosa. My wife drives a 2016 Mazda MX5, and I drive a 2004 Honda Civic Coupe with 57K miles on it. I don't care what anybody thinks of me from my appearances... as Garrison Keillor had one of his characters say, in response to being asked to join a Lake Wobegon country club with a membership fee of $1,000, "If I wanted people to know I had a 1000 dollars, I'd walk around town with the money on the end of a forked stick."

14. fezz parka

fezz parka Making a record.... Strat-Talk Supporter

We all do. :)

JB74, Nate D and abnormaltoy like this.
  15. AncientAx

AncientAx Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I buy what I want but I don’t want much ....

Elvie, Nate D and abnormaltoy like this.
  16. nungesser

nungesser When I became of age my momma sat me down Strat-Talk Supporter

"This heaven gives me migraine"

17. mshivy

mshivy Most Honored Senior Member

Just remember :

If you don’t buy that guitar,
    Somebody else will!

Elvie, JB74, Nate D and 1 other person like this.
  18. Antstrat

Antstrat Senior Stratmaster

Exactly. And it could end up abused, living in a broken home. We owe it to all strats to buy as many as we can because we will provide a loving home.

Elvie, mshivy, Nate D and 1 other person like this.
  19. Antstrat

Antstrat Senior Stratmaster

Point well taken. Could be a regional thing from my perspective. I live in ground zero tech boom mecca and it's a hot topic amongst us baby boomers here, things have changed for us locals drastically and rather quickly too.

20. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

Ive read maybe half the first page.
    What ive experienced....all my life, is most people need "things" to define their character.
    For instance, when i rode bikes, i was never good enough to be a part of the gang because my bike wasnt up to their standards.
    Later in life, my my car stereo wasn't good enough.
    The list goes on.
    But you know what?
    I kept up the guitar practice and ended up bangin all their girlfriends.....so #&@$ em.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.