The One

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Hillebert, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Hillebert

Hillebert Strat-Talk Member

Hi you all,

My Name ist Nik, I am from Germany and I´d like to introduce to you my American Standard Strat built in February 1990 according to the long lost Inspection QC Hangtag.
    I bought her in a Guitar Shop at Place Pigalle / Paris in Spring 1991 and I remember the place had a large number of Stratocasters hanging from the ceiling.
    I tried like 10 different ones including one Blackmore Type in Olmypic White which I really liked also.
    But when I first touched the relativly thick neck and fretboard of this Beauty in Silver (i guess it was Inca Silver), I knew this is the one.
    In 1993 I installed a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails in Bridge Position and I added some Sperzel Locking Tuners.
    I sanded off the Silver for some stupid Reason in 1995 and painted the pickguard Yellow / Blue and the Body Red/Green, ugly as hell.
    So I sanded this off again some years later and only left some of the primer.
    The Coating is thick as hell... So what we see now is what I guess might be a Body made out of 2 pieces probably half Poplar and half Basswood?
    I played her on a regular basis in numerous Bands as my main Guitar (replaced a 1981 Gibson SG) until like 2003.
    We have seen a lot of places and met a lot of friends...with less time for music and more work to do she got retired more and more. In 2010 I got me a 2009 Gibson Firebird which i played on randomly. The Strat kept waiting in her molded case.
    This Summer I decided to revive her, so i released her from her coffin and disassembled her completly.
    Removing the Tremolo I noticed that the holes of the Pivot Screws were stripped.
    On the Bass side a complete piece of wood was shoved out along the grain towards the Tremolo Block (the Movement got stopped by it i guess), so I took this piece of wood and glued it back in using Wood Glue and then epoxied both bushings back in.
    So far it seems to work and stay in place...
    I got her a new pickguard, Knobs, Selector Tip, Volume Poti some Custom Shop 69 Single Coils and a new Tweed Case (the original molded Case fell into pieces). The sound of the guitar even dry is very rich and bright with a very good sustain.
    With the new pickups she sounds amazing, they truly deliver the late chunky Hendrix Style (Hey Baby...). I even love her more than when I got her over 30 Years ago. She gets played through a 1995 Blues Deluxe and a Blackstar HR1 MKII.
    Thanks for reading.

Nik
    strat#1.jpg strat#2.jpg 01.jpg

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  2. Malurkey

Malurkey Senior Stratmaster

Welcome! :thumb:

3. jbylake

jbylake Fabulously Famous Nobody Silver Member

4. Archtops

Archtops Strat-Talker

Welcome aboard Nik! Good project for one you had for so long. Best of luck!

5. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Welcome and nice work!

Regarding the body - I would imagine it's all one species of wood, just since the guitar was destined to have a solid finish they didn't care about grain matching or using pieces with nice wood grain, just that it was a stable body blank. So in 1990 it could be alder or it could be poplar; that was about the time frame when Fender started mixing in poplar as the supply of alder was low for a few years (sorry, I don't remember why alder was in short supply for a few years there in the early 1990s).

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  6. Ruscio

Ruscio Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

Welcome to ST, nice work on a great guitar!

7. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Most Honored Senior Member

Welcome to S-T.
    You certainly have a unique Strat.
    Thanks for sharing.

8. Hillebert

Thanks for the kind feedback you guys!

9. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

Now THAT'S some real relic mojo! Welcome to the forum.

10. aviamsi

aviamsi Senior Stratmaster

Welcome to the forum.

11. myredstrat

myredstrat Senior Stratmaster

12. pn8830

pn8830 Strat-Talker

Welcome! This is a unique guitar for sure!

13. futures

futures Strat-Talk Member

Thank you for sharing your passion. In theory, guitars aren't overly complicated, like many things if given proper consideration. I remember my folks wanted to toss out and replace a 1K BBQ.. I replaced the gas hose and burners.. $50 later problem solved. I explained that it was pointless to replace things when broken.. and not bother to learn how to take care / maintain them.. you end up in a vicious cycle..

That said, there were some upgrades I wanted to try.. every time I looked for parts.. I end up finding a guitar with the features I was looking to try for about as much or less than the upgrade costs.. so I maybe have one too many guitars :) I envy the folks who can stick to just one or two guitars and give them all the love..

14. Sureshot33

Sureshot33 Strat-Talker

That's some great work. Love it!
    Welcome!

15. Rbert0005

Rbert0005 Strat-Talker

Do you get a commission for using the word her?

Bob

16. mplsrube

mplsrube Strat-Talk Member

Sehr schön

17. Hillebert

Thank you all again for the kind feedback.
    Regarding the "IT/HER" question: I certainly have a strong relationship to this piece of wood. It has been there for the most of my grown-up life and is absolutly the one thing (besides my family of course) I would grab if my house would burn down. I got it when I was 21, now I am 51...Also the circumstances under which I got it / her were quite remarkable. Has somethin to do with passion and love, won´t bore you with details. :)
    Anyway @ John: I think the body actually is poplar since the wood is very soft (remember the worn out / broken pivot holes). I am very happy that it is not veneered and made out of only 2 pieces. The sound and soustain is very good...
    This weekend I realized that it defintily needs some fret levelling (can´t seem to even out the D/G/B Strings from buzzing on the higher frets beyond 12# Fret on lower frets I have some remarkable wear (playin too much Blues in Am :)) So I will have to learn how to do that since I don´t want to take her/it to the luthier... pick.jpg
    I will post some pics when the neck is off...in the meantime: A pic from the old guard of mine...
    Wish you a enjoyable week!
    Nik

ZlurkCorzDog, JJ119 and Baelzebub like this.
  18. Hillebert

I just realized that the high E-String does not match the pole-piece on the middle and neck pickup. I can´t puzzle out how this can occur.
    Does anybody have a logical explanation for this? I does not seem to affect the tone though...

IMG_8296.jpg

19. aviamsi

aviamsi Senior Stratmaster

Welcome welcome.

20. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

Loosen the neck bolts and move the neck in the pocket toward the bass side. Neck is just a little crooked.