The opposite of the relic: Who else here tries to keep their guitars looking like new?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Handsome McClane, Jul 11, 2021.

Tags:

How do you prefer your guitars to look?

1. Relic'd and worn even if it's brand new.

6 vote(s)
    3.1%
  2. Looking shiny and new always.

84 vote(s)
    43.3%
  3. Prefer one in good shape but I don't get upset if something happens to it. Natural relic is OK.

77 vote(s)
    39.7%
  4. Don't really give it much thought.

17 vote(s)
    8.8%
  5. Shut up and play yer guitar.

27 vote(s)
    13.9%
  6. I like turtles.

16 vote(s)
    8.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jbylake

jbylake Fabulously Famous Nobody Silver Member

...if you play them, the gremlins will still be on the look out for some fresh paint to eat and wood to dent. Unless one is getting beat up setting in a stand, or hanging on a wall, that case isn't always going to be on guard duty for your guitar.:D

2. mplsrube

mplsrube Strat-Talk Member

I have a few that are worn in pretty well, with scratches & dings. I love them exactly as they are. I also have a few that I baby and keep in their cases. Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm schizophrenic and so am I.

Bob the builder and Archtops like this.
  3. Stevn

Stevn Senior Stratmaster

Me too. They are fine music playing furniture.

Stonetone and Handsome McClane like this.
  4. Stevn

Stevn Senior Stratmaster

I’m pretty “chromey” hahahahaha

5. Stevn

Stevn Senior Stratmaster

Those are so nice!

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  6. Strums

Strums Strat-O-Master

I buy them new or like new and keep them like that regardless of age. They are always kept in tune as well.
    Buyers from CL have asked me to call them anytime I want to sell a guitar. Crazy.

My only beater is an Eastman acoustic that sits out all the time.

Handsome McClane and Colnago1 like this.
  7. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Strat-O-Master

I try to keep all my guitars looking as close to new as possible. Each has a hard shell case for storage. I'm an at home only player and have never dinged a guitar so far as I'm careful of what's around me when playing.

8. brians

brians Senior Stratmaster

All my guitars have been used by me well so they have scratches and the odd ding.
    Its inevitable if you play and jam with them.
    So also, I try really hard to avoid these things but I don't have expectations that it's not going to happen. So I live with it.

I am much more cautious with my acoustic for some reason, but it doesn't get a lot of play, and it's my one guitar that is mark free.

But, I am fanatical about cleaning, not only guitars, mostly everything I have.
    To the point of excess that sometimes is overboard.

Cleaning and polishing my guitars is a part of my music enjoyment

Archtops and Colnago1 like this.
  9. Colnago1

Colnago1 Senior Stratmaster

I enjoy everything to be clean as well. The cleaner the better!

brians and Archtops like this.
  10. jbylake

jbylake Fabulously Famous Nobody Silver Member

I notice a lot of folks refer to their guitars as tools, and not particularly focused on being OCD careful with them. Well, that's a fact (that they're tools), but I also consider, especially a few of mine, artistic pieces also.

Especially if you're a working Pro and touring 9 or 10 months out of the year, they're going to take a beating, especially for Head Banger's, Punk People, heck even Bluesmen. Not much you can do about it. So if I had a 50's Strat or Les Paul, I certainly wouldn't take them on the road with me, but I'm not a working Pro, and nowadays, I have the luxury of babying mine in the house.

11. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Blooze daddy Silver Member

All my guitars have some nicks or dings. I just wipe everything down after use.

12. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

As an at home only player every one gets the case queen treatment. Whatever happens happens.

Except the 1973 Les Paul Custom. Has been naturally relic'd (used).

13. Stratbats

Stratbats Senior Stratmaster

Tramp.

Ebidis likes this.
  14. StratMike10

StratMike10 Dr. Stratster Gold Supporting Member

I'm a live and let live kind of guy, but when I see someone posting pictures of their guitars and the plastic and sticker are still on the pickguard, I feel the urge to post that meme of batman slapping robin.

15. StratifyMe

StratifyMe Strat-Talk Member

I like them shiny and new. I take care of everything I own.

16. jackietreehorn

jackietreehorn Strat-Talk Member

I don’t. I have a six year old. Live in Minnesota. Play in a basement. But with this in mind, my only American made guitar is a Peavey bass and a bass from an unknown builder, both cost less than a MIM.

If I had an AM professional or a Gibson Les Paul it might be a different story. In fact, I did pick up a Gibson SG special once - great shape. I liked it a lot, but the stress of knowing my kid was going to destroy the nitro and eventually knock it over and break the headstock made me keep it in the case so I never played it. So I finally sold it.
    I don’t relic my guitars on purpose and I try to avoid bashing them up. I mean no Monterrey Pop festival for me in my cellar, but when I find a Barbie hanging off my strat I don’t sweat it either.

Bob the builder likes this.
  17. brashboy

brashboy Strat-Talker

I'm not quite that OCD, but I like my guitars looking new. When I was a kid in the 50s, I had to wear a lot of hand-me-downs from older cousins, and got other used stuff they didn't want anymore. I suspect that fueled my need to have things that look new. No ripped shirts or jeans for this boy...

But if you play and handle them enough, guitars will pick up wear scratches, dings and what-not. I don't obsess about it. They are dear friends, however they look.

brians and Handsome McClane like this.
  18. pblanton

pblanton Strat-Talker

Mic-drop.

19. Slartybartfast

Slartybartfast Strat-Talker

I laugh when I see a corny relic guitar on reverb and they say "this baby is in mint condition!" How the f**k do you even know??? They love that "cool relicing", but if a Les Paul has a gouge or dent, then people want a discount if it's real! They could have dropped it the night before for all we know. Being old enough to have had guitars that showed real road miles and real wear and tear, I've always thought the relic thing was stupid and still do. I was taught as a kid when my Dad's already battered Stratocaster was given to me to take care of your damn guitar, and I still do, best I can, but stuff happens.

Handsome McClane likes this.
  20. Slartybartfast

Slartybartfast Strat-Talker