Join Strat-Talk Today

The road to success according to Gibson

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Guy Named Sue, Aug 8, 2019.

1. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

They should have gave them all to Pete; maybe he'd die of lead poisoning.

3bolt79 likes this.
  2. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Basking 'neath the almighty yellow yolk Strat-Talk Supporter

First off, can we stop spreading rumors that we've read on other forums that have no basis or proof? Such as Gibson using lead paint.

Second, I think this sort of behavior is ridiculous from a company such as Gibson who pride themselves on the quality of workmanship and the quality of products they use. And use that to make us caugh up big money.

These mind games they play about how rare the wood they're using is, South American mahogany and precious rosewood. And they really show their respect to the rainforest and the environment when they destroy guitars in this type of fashion.

I'm sick of it. They should be ashamed of themselves.

3bolt79, sgarnett and abnormaltoy like this.
  3. aiabx

aiabx Strat-O-Master

I was wondering if there was a reliable source for the lead paint explanation.

3bolt79 and abnormaltoy like this.
  4. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I've been saying the same thing . Give it a rest people

kris ford, Yaralag, Nate D and 3 others like this.
  5. DaveTone

DaveTone Strat-O-Master

As is most social media.

Nate D, circles and abnormaltoy like this.
  6. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth breathin' knuckle dragger Strat-Talk Supporter

Start your own company and run it how you wish.

Yaralag, Silvercrow, Nate D and 3 others like this.
  7. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

It's a products liability issue. Insurance companies do not like when discontinued products are put out to the public. It opens them up to lawsuits. It does not matter if the product was discontinued due to it being dangerous or if it was discontinued due to lagging sales a good plaintiffs attorney will make the claim that the company decided to discontinue a product then gave said product to their client. Once a company discontinues a product the insurance carrier does not want that product put in the hands of the public anymore. I know it sounds crazy and doesn't seem right but this is the sue happy world we live in. Don't blame Gibson. Also wasn't it stated in the other thread with the bulldozer video that it was not Gibson who did this but a contractor hired to demolish the old building and Gibson ended up either suing them and sent a letter condemning their actions.

DaveTone, Yaralag, Silvercrow and 5 others like this.
  8. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Basking 'neath the almighty yellow yolk Strat-Talk Supporter

I wasn't aware that there was another thread about this. Only saw the video today. But I get your point, I don't live in the US but I do get your point about lawsuits.

9. Stratoskater

Yeah Vid1900 posted it last week I believe. There is an article from Premier Guitar that states the guitars were damaged beyond repair and the parts were not salvageable and had to be destroyed then there is another one I think where someone says Gibson responded to the video claiming the contractor did not have permission to video it and post it and they are suing them for damages because they have gotten tons of hate emails and negative posts on forums. The video is from April I think. I'm actually shocked Gibson's lawyers have not gotten it pulled yet.

I agree with you 100% that destroying goods simply to write it off is not a good thing. In this case however I do not think Gibson was doing anything wrong and the contractor who decided to line the guitars up and run over them while making a video of it, then post that video should get the crap sued out of them.

10. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Senior Stratmaster

Well we all know that the road to hell is paved with good intentions. I guess the road to success is paved with Firebird X's.

11. Crow1949

Crow1949 Strat-Talk Member

Really if you are going to destroy unsellable product it ought to be done privately - ie throw then in an incinerator - but this run over idea is offensive to anyone who thinks anything of guitars.
    From quality issues, forcing electronic tuners and legal threats etc Gibson really, really does need a "Vice President of Common Sense" to avoid keep shooting themselves in the foot and maybe, just maybe try and communicate with the customer before it's too late. I've just bought a Fender Vintera Strat - flawless and affordable.

12. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Senior Stratmaster

Ok, silly pun aside, I will attempt to be the voice of reason here.

This is not Gibson absentmindedly showing off destruction. It was mismanagement of the process and a lax approach to documentation. The guitologist did an interview, which I could only listen to like a minute of, with the guy who posted the video. He was an employee of Gibson and doing his job to help shut down the factory they were closing. The exec on site is the one who said "Hey, everybody take video of this. We will need evidence of the work for write off purposes, etc." And then one of those guys decided it would be a kick to post it online. Dude had no idea of the s-storm this would have caused. Mainly because he is not an altogether big picture thinker.

What SHOULD have happened is that if they needed to destroy the guitars, there should have been ONE designated videographer for documentation purposes and then ALL copies of said video should have gone straight into the possession of Gibson.

This does not take into account any of the "But what about the children?!?!" type protests and questions. That's for someone else to decide. I won't shed a tear for the lost Gibsons because there are literally millions of crap guitars already in the world.

If it REALLY bothers you that much go pick up a used Squier, give it some good strings and a setup, then donate it to your program of choice. I'm actually thinking about doing so myself.

3bolt79 and Stratoskater like this.
  13. vid1900

Gibson issued a press release that the guitars were manufactured with **unsafe components** and had to be destroyed.

Every component on those guitars can be found on other Gibson products, except that bowling ball paint?

3bolt79 and Stratoskater like this.
  14. GuitarMechanic

GuitarMechanic Most Honored Senior Member

Fender woud break them with a hammer or something and throw them into the bin behind the factory in Corona

3bolt79 likes this.
  15. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

Good points^!

So easy to jump to conclusions and fly off at the 'corporate evils' being committed, but there are considerations and things in play you can't even imagine.

My wife works for one of the 'top 5' pharmaceuticals in the world. People often rant at her at the exorbitant prices "THEY" charge for drugs, blah blah blah. But they get a quick education on the cost of R&D, clinical trials, FDA regs, DEA regs, time /costs of patenting and the relatively short time a drug is 'out' on patent before mandatory release. Not to mention you pay top dollar for 'top intelligence' relative to scientists, research Doc's etc.

Different perspective.

My wife headed a program to distribute outmoded lab equipment for donation to schools (colleges and high schools) for free, as the cost of some lab equipment is preclusive for a lot of educational facilities. All they have to do (the receivers) is sign a waiver of liability, as her company cannot be responsible for equipment once it leaves their hands. I was shocked at the nasty responses they got FROM POTENTIAL benefactors- screaming about waiver requirements, etc. Yet, the cost of even a basic GCMS is astounding, and prohibitive for many institutions.

Brian

3bolt79 likes this.
  16. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Perhaps they should have given Fender the contract then?

17. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

It's not the paint. Some of the electronics may have been put together with leaded solder -- so not ok for California or Europe. Also may (now) be a cover up story. Because of the large amount of sophisticated electronics on those guitars, if they stripped the pc boards out those are riddled with gold that reclaimers covet. Crush them under a back hoe and all those contaminates go into the groundwater.

They could have set up a little product rework project, to pull the parts and sell them second hand. They could have bid that job out and gotten paid -- just like companies upgrade computers 'every three years' and the computer brands hire a third party to yank hard drives and sell the hulks on ebay.

+1. They could have stripped the over the top electronics and sold the guitars in a kit that the buyer puts in conventional pots/caps (supplied but not wired up) and those guitars would have sold for several hundreds each -- there might have been more demand for a stripped down rock machine than that even, "an exclusive model". I heard that the basic guitar function felt great to play, it was the overly complicated electronics that made for the jokes, like the robot tuner LPs later on.

18. ZlurkCorzDog

ZlurkCorzDog INMATE #7XX7XX7 Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm triggered. :oops:

serveimage (2).jpeg

abnormaltoy likes this.
  19. Stratoskater

This “run over” idea was not Gibson. Gibson issued a statement that it was done solely by a contractor hired to demolish the old building and as was stated above the video was sanctioned or shot by Gibson. From what I have read Gibson is furious about the video and has threatened a lawsuit against the contractor.

3bolt79, abnormaltoy and vid1900 like this.
  20. vid1900

I"m not buying the lead solder thing.

Lead solder is still legal in the USA, except for Cali, so that would not constitute an "unsafe component" if they wanted to give them to schools in 49 other states.

We use it every single day at my shop.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.