Join Strat-Talk Today

The road to success according to Gibson

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Guy Named Sue, Aug 8, 2019.

1. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster

Man I'm getting sick of folks condemning things they know little to nothing about. These businesses are complicated and often technical and decisions are made based on factors that anyone outside of the company wouldn't even know existed or understand. My God folks, quit being so damn critical of what others do unless your are an authority on the specific subject!

Yaralag, Stratoskater and vid1900 like this.
  2. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

People keep saying these were crappy guitars that wouldn't sell, but Reverb is offering them for $8,000. And the fact these things are still for sale, indicates to me there's likely not a problem with the finish either.

My guess is there's limited demand for guitars in the $8,000 range, and most people buying guitars at that price point want something vintage or at least traditional. And especially not guitars that are loaded up with dodgy electronics. It's also likely that Gibson had some sort of agreement with a distributor not to sell them below a certain price point. That sort of provision goes into distribution agreements all the time, distributors don't want to get undercut. I kind of think the bankruptcy judge should be angry about this, Gibson was supposed to sell off what it could in order to pay off creditors.

I think it's all a shame, these guitars are kinda cool looking. I would have given $200 for one.

3. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

They were $3000 at introduction, and latter they were at $2100

I hope no one pays $8K for one.

They guys who tore the factory down probably kept 20 of those friggers

Stratoskater likes this.
  4. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

That’s where the ones on Reverb are coming from most likely :D

vid1900 and dirocyn like this.
  5. Elvie

Elvie Strat-O-Master

Judging by the sort of rubbish Stratosphere has sold me in the past Fender has other ways of disposing of their trash.

6. AlexJCRandall

AlexJCRandall Senior Stratmaster

However being critical in many cases exposes uncomfortable truths hiding behind supposed factors that are unknown.

But in this case, there is nothing overly complicated save for the overcoming of apathy. Perfectly good firsts quality guitars that could be shipped out just as easily as any other order to a store were destroyed.

There seems to be an undercurrent also of trying to make excuses for mechanically being unable to move them on. The utter ridiculessnes of a guitar being perfectly fine to sell to anybody but be unable to be donated because of lead......you'd have to be an utter halfwit to swallow that one.
    Makes you think someone here might be on a payroll, as that rumour seems to be brought up many times only from 1 source.....as if saying it more times makes it any less wrong on multiple levels.

7. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Why do these numbskulls feel the need to “improve” an already PROVEN classic?

8. aiabx

aiabx Strat-O-Master

So people who already have the classic will buy the new "improved" version.

9. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

I'll admit.

I'm on a payroll.

Gibson gave me all 1019 of those guitars, in payment for posting a tutorial on headstock repair.

I had about 50 of them hanging on the wall of the room where I store the kids for the daycare I run from my home.

I noticed that all the kids were **nursing** off the guitars. Literally they could not take their mouths off them.

A parent saw the kids nursing was was alarmed (both by the kids behavior and apparently my nonchalant shrug), and called the State inspector.

I worried that I would have to pay to have the guitars disposed of should they be found to have been manufactured with an addictive pigment binder or possibly lead paint.

Driving across town at 3am with a semi-load of possibly contraband guitars, I reached the soon to be demolished old Gibson factory. It took me and two tweakers over 2 hours to unload all those cursed guitars.

I wanted to just make a pile, but the tweakers insisted on lining them up perfectly in rows.

As the sun rose, we softlocked the gate and waited on the rooftop across the street for the demo crew to arrive.

The crew stood there, scratching their beards. We overheard one of them say it was like a guitar crop circle.

The foreman finally spoke up. "These ain't Country guitars, these here are Rock N Roll guitars. Let's kill them!"

The demo crew grunted in delight, knowing that these guitars would soon be dead. They stepped on them, they spat on them. One guy pulled his pants down, and began to take a dump on them, when another worker kicked him over backwards into his own waste. The dumper struggled to pull his jeans up, but the other workers kept tripping him back to the ground.

As the backhoe operator showed up on the site, he stood there, hands on his hips. "You boys know we's got us a backhoe here. Git the hell out of my way; this here's man's work."

All the demo guys stood around making videos on their phones.

I paid my 2 tweakers and left them in the city to do what they do.

That's exactly how I remember it.

marabino and axejock like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.