The salesman said, no guitar is the same.

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by garyhoos1, Dec 14, 2019.

1. garyhoos1

garyhoos1 Huffing n Puffing.

Just been into the guitar shop and there is a new guy working their anyhow I was playing an SG with the sideways vibrola lovely guitar and neck, now I've played a few of these new original series gibsons and they are back in the hunt.

So I said have you got an SG in with the maestro wammy to which he replied no but that type your playing the sideways type is better, so I replied they are both crap which kind of shook him.

Then I asked if that was the best price and he replied yes so I mentioned a well known store were they are £260 cheaper then he replied but you won't have played it because your buying on line and no Gibson is the same he also said I tried six Les Paul's and they were all different ?

Now I think that is false information anyone played a new Gibson original lately ?

mshivy, Dewey, abnormaltoy and 2 others like this.
  2. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Some folks are just not meant to be in sales.

abnormaltoy, fos1, simoncroft and 4 others like this.
  3. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

Technically correct, all guitars are different, sometimes it's subtle other times very obvious.

Neil.C, jbylake, Lewbypls and 10 others like this.
  4. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I cannot see myself purchasing a guitar online unless I was just willing to take a risk, like a very cheap guitar or a ridiculously low price.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  5. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

Bought almost all mine online, been real happy too.
    The only catch for me is I might have to pack it up and send it back which is a PITA.

I should add something that's odd as well, I always adjust to the guitar, I think most guitarist adjust the guitar to them, so they want to play several until they find "the one".
    That doesn't work out for me.

There was only one guitar that felt perfect to me the minute I picked it up, it was an Ibanez Artist back in the 90's, but I was too poor to buy it, but I still remember it.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    _MS_, abnormaltoy, simoncroft and 3 others like this.
  6. sgarnett

sgarnett Senior Stratmaster

Yes, every guitar is different. Every tree is different, and every slab cut from it is different.

For that matter, part of what made some of the vintage handwound pickups so great was that each was different. Even for the newer stuff: I have four 57/62s, and each has a different coil shape.

A lot of those variations, by themselves, could be called cork sniffery. Mix ‘em all up in one guitar, and most will still sound average, a few will suck, and a few will be great.

People drive themselves nuts trying to find that one thing that makes a huge difference. Instead, it’s the gestalt of countless inconsequential differences. Sometimes the special ones will even be “wrong” in some way: wrong weight, wrong grain, winding out of spec, weird setup, who knows?

Read any thread about setup, and you’ll be advised to do it by feel instead of by measure. There’s a reason ....

7. Dadocaster

I am old and I worked in music stores when I was not old... Had my paws on a lot of guitars and while I don't worry much about how they sound, since I feel that can usually be fixed, I do have to enjoy holding the thing.

(I do think I have become less picky regarding feel as I have collected a bunch of junky guitars and easily switch between them.)

8. garyhoos1

Years ago yes but nowadays there pretty much near the mark as far as I'm concerned :thumb:

mshivy, 3bolt79 and abnormaltoy like this.
  9. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist Strat-Talk Supporter

What @33db said, they are all different, not just Gibsons. Play 10 strats of the same model and they'll all sound and feel slightly different.

I own a 2019 SG, it was the only one in the store so I didn't get to compare. I love it but it ain't flawless.

TIMB, 3bolt79, CB91710 and 3 others like this.
  10. Dadocaster

There is less deviation now for sure.

At the same time, SOMETIMES A GUITAR JUST MAY NOT LIKE YOU!!!

You wouldn't pick a pet online...

3bolt79, CB91710, fos1 and 2 others like this.
  11. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

He is correct. They’re made of wood, assembled by people, etc.

But some companies get pretty consistent.

3bolt79, abnormaltoy and simoncroft like this.
  12. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

I bought a pet rock online once.

13. garyhoos1

I've tried a few of the original series with the maestro and I am thinking of buying on line, what flaws my friend.

3bolt79, abnormaltoy and Cerb like this.
  14. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

Absolutely every guitar is different. I always try multiple copies of the same guitar whenever I can, because they vary so much - everything from the cosmetics to the feel, finish, build.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I like to support my local guitar stores wherever possible - so I don't go into the shop, try all the guitars and then go home and buy online. I prefer to deal with the guys in the shop (assuming they are helpful) and I will often get a deal anyway.

Case in point; the last guitar I bought was a .strandberg* - readily available online, with a no quibble return policy, direct from the company. But I wanted to try a few, so I went to Guitar Guitar and spent a couple of hours trying pretty much every model they had. In the end I was able to not only see if the guitar suited me, but also which sounded the best for my playing, and the finish I liked.

I thought about it for 24 hours, looked at the price online, and then went back to the shop, to buy the exact guitar I had tried that I thought was the best. I told them I wanted to buy it, and without prompting, I was then offered the choice of 0% finance, or £100 off the price. So I got a better deal than online anyway, and I knew exactly what I was getting.

To be fair the .strandbergs*s are made uniquely and very consistently in Indonesia, so they are probably as close to identical as you can get, but the principle remains.

15. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

It must be said that Gibsons are, in my experience, the most variable guitars. If you get a good one, they can be really good. But there are a LOT of not so nice ones out there.

I've bought 3 Gibsons in the last 4 years, and only 1 was what I would consider to be close to "flawless", i.e. no significant finish flaws, the neck was flat, the fretwork didn't buzz too much. My DC Faded (admittedly the cheapest Gibbo) has poor unfilled rosewood on the fretboard, the strap buttons come unscrewed all the time, the neck is so tilted that the bass side of the bridge is flat against the body while the treble side is 2mm high just to give the same action. But it plays great, and with some work by me it's a good guitar. And it was the best of 3 I tried...

16. integra evan

integra evan Strat-O-Master

Every guitar is in fact different even among same models....especially Gibson. Variations in neck carve, neck angle, finishing work etc are all present.

TIMB, 3bolt79 and abnormaltoy like this.
  17. garyhoos1

I support the high street shops myself and would hate to see them disappear but £260 is a massive saving and I totally understand what your saying :thumb:

3bolt79 and abnormaltoy like this.
  18. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist Strat-Talk Supporter

A few very minor finish flaws that are hardly eorth mentioning but there is one wonky tuner, it feels worn out. Yhen there are two dead f-notes, at the 10th fret of the g string and 15th fret of the D string. Dead notes around the 12th fret is apparently not uncommon on SG's so trying different ones will pay off.

19. Dadocaster

They are carving necks by hand???

3bolt79 and abnormaltoy like this.
  20. integra evan

integra evan Strat-O-Master

Yeah they hand finish them. CNC takes care of most of the leg work, then people do the final work.

abnormaltoy likes this.