1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

The shape of things to come? Thinlines.....

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Deafsoundguy, Oct 17, 2020 at 11:47 PM.

1. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy Strat-o-nutster Silver Member

Wondering what people think of this new trend in some cities - rip down old houses with history and charm and put up these new “thin houses”. These are starting to appear all over the place around Area 51. Sometimes, people just have a small piece of property and want to build something on it, other times people are able to divide up their already small lot and make these thin homes smack in the middle of two homes which already were close enough. But I have witnessed some nice old homes coming down and 2 thin houses going up in place near where I used to live.

The thin houses look good I guess, Unusual styles, hopefully good quality. I don’t care what people want to spend their money on, but my only issues are these look so out of place it kinda blows me away that the city would allow it, especially after seeing the picture, there’s no parking where parking is tight anyway. I don’t get it. All the homes around the ones in this picture are homes built in the 30’s and 40’s mostly and some of the hottest realty around town (read “trendy” area). Some the folks who own these old homes are pretty hardcore about keeping them craftsmen style, so again, these styles just don’t go together. And, way way too close for me. Thoughts?
    66EE6997-FAED-4D10-AC98-F9DA091784F8.jpeg

2. Boubou

Boubou Strat-O-Master Silver Member

I like the communal Johnny on the spot . Hope it doesn’t get too cold in winter

3. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Area 51?
    Eviscerated scrotum?

4. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member Gold Supporting Member

I haven't seen houses quite that small before. But those kinda remind me of some I've seen in my area that look to me like they were built to save space - and many of them have the garage in the back rather than the front. Those look fairly small.. I think they look a bit weird, but I guess if they work for some people, they're good.

Also, that silver Prius looks like it has an Oregon license plate..?

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  5. Ted J

Ted J Strat-Talker

I think you might have a bit of trouble navigating those steps into the garage on the right hand one

jbylake, otto6457 and Deafsoundguy like this.
  6. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

They have built and are still building townhomes around here like that. They're 14-15 fee wide and two or three stories high. I've been in some.

Thoughts? It's like living in a mobile home turned on end. I wouldn't own one then and I wouldn't own one now. They're worse than a row home.

7. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

They look like sheds to me.

mjea80, sam_in_cali and Deafsoundguy like this.
  8. Deafsoundguy

Haha! I didn’t even notice that! Yeah.... must be for a 4x4...

Ted J likes this.
  9. Deafsoundguy

Yes, close in SE PDX. About 45th off Hawthorne. But there’s lots of these all over now. Had to move East. I used to live on Hawthorne/Mt Tabor. Couldn’t stand the mounting density and 1000 people walking by my house everyday.

All these houses that thin are pretty long. It’s a unique deal for sure, but they just look so out of place in that neighborhood. I can guarantee you, that age group 35 to 45 is who’s buying them.

10. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Strat-Talker

Area 51, spooky! Maybe they are being made for alien life.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  11. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Home builders in my area have totally abandoned anything that could possibly be considered a "starter home." My tiny neighborhood is of modest homes and is 35 years old and everything since then and especially the last few years, is three times as large and three times as expensive. They are out of the reach of a huge swath of good solid people that hold good jobs. I would guess the skinny houses are in reaction to the dearth of less expensive housing.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  12. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

Not what I was expecting.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  13. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Senior Stratmaster

Row houses are nothing new. They can actually be quite charming and most of them didn't even have sideyards. Witness the Victorians in San Francisco. I find this trend to be on an order of less obnoxious than the opposite, which became de rigeur in Silicon Valley, which was to buy up a 1000+ or - sf house on an 6000 sf lot and build a 4 or 5000 sq monster home.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  14. Deafsoundguy

Yes, but you can clearly see that they are using some nice tone woods in their construction, so there is that....:)

nuculer terrist and Ebidis like this.
  15. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-O-Master

Tiny houses are a trend right now, at least for some people. I guess one of these skinny houses is for someone that finds a real tiny house too small but wants to look trendy and keep housing costs down vs a standard home.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  16. Boubou

Boubou Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Anyways, it’s not for you guys, where would you put all your guitars and amps ?

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  17. clydethecat

clydethecat Strat-O-Master

Steps leading to a garage door? That's gonna be a rough drive.

Deafsoundguy and bgmacaw like this.
  18. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member Gold Supporting Member

Ah. By "Area 51", I was thinking Nevada. I live in the Portland area but haven't seen houses quite this small. I've seen similar looking houses though.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  19. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

There's an area by me that has very old houses. I would much rather see old homes that have history restored and refurbished but I suppose it depends on the condition of the house. There's one house in particular I pass all the time that was boarded up due to a sewage problem. It had been like that for a LONG time. Just this past month, someone started renovating it. I was expecting to see it bulldozed to the ground and rebuilt from scratch but nope ... new siding and whatever they have going on inside. I hope that works out for the occupants... not sure i'd want to live in something with that kind of history.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  20. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

I actually think they're kind of cool, though I commiserate with those who own Craftsman style houses across the street from them. Besides not fitting in with the aesthetic, it adds to the density of the neighborhood.

These are like tiny houses on steroids. A more palatable alternative to condo life, and cheaper than a larger, historic home. The minimal space between houses is not appealing, but it's better than sharing common walls.

Just curious, do you know if these are part of a builder's project with "yuppies" as their market or if they're part of some government program to move low income people into the 'burbs?