Join Strat-Talk Today

The Six Point Bridge Secrets thread

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Dulles, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Dulles

Dulles New Member!

I've lived with Floyd Rose style bridges most of my life but I'm gaining respect for the old style 6 point and want to learn how to get the most out of it. Here are some questions:
    1. What is the optimum screw head height?
    2. What is the optimum float angle for front and back minor thirds or greater pitch swing?
    3. When pulling up the bar and going up a minor third, your reset leaves the bass side sharp: Do you increase the bass or treble side spring tension on the claw? Explain what happens mechanically in your reply.

EAllen likes this.
  2. rockon1

rockon1 Strat-Talker

Curious myself. One day I'll set one up. I think a well cut nut (no binding, proper angle cut) and locking tuners are in order for me first. I do know that I'll have to "tone it down" on the bar if I do though-it aint no double locker no matter how well its set up. Saw a video Carl Verhayen made I thought was interesting.

RhinestoneStrat likes this.
  3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

There are no secrets, the thing has been around for 65 years.

CFFF, CB91710, Stratoskater and 5 others like this.
  4. Dulles

Dulles New Member!

Well, if there aren't any secrets, why didn't you answer the questions posted above? :)

I've seen that video and he doesn't really answer the questions I've posed either. It is useful information but he only takes us part of the way.

5. fezz parka

fezz parka Making a record.... Strat-Talk Supporter

No secrets.

You just need to adjust the bridge properly. Remove the strings and springs. Tighten the screws one at a time until the plate lifts from the body, then back off until the plate returns to the face of the body. Then back off the outer screws a quarter turn. Back off the four inside screws a half to full turn. Put on your springs and string it up. Adjust the claw to float or deck it.

I float so that when I pull up on the bar, I get a full step on the G and B and a half step on the E.

That's it.

Nick Evans, CFFF, 3bolt79 and 9 others like this.
  6. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

I didn't realise that I was under an obligation to do so, or I would have missed my dinner to save you ten minutes on Google.

7. kurher

kurher Strat-Talker

1. What fezz instructed above, unless (Questions 1 & 2 are directly linked) you want a much higher increase in pitch.
    While there is no optimum angle afaIk, it's usually better when the string angle on the saddle is not extreme.
    2. See #1. This depends a lot on the string gauge, geometry and action.
    3. If this is reproducible after a proper setup, the mounting holes of your bridge could be worn in an irregular fashion.
    The bridge block doesn't bend so angling the claw is not a valid solution. Also, don't forget to double check the nut so you can rule it out when troubleshooting.

3bolt79 likes this.
  8. fezz parka

Asked and answered above. But its not exact. Its a personal preference. You want the bridgeplate to rest on the relieved shank of the mounting screw and to not make contact with the head.

Asked and answered above.

This reset you speak of...doesn't happen to me. And I beat the crap out of it.

No. ;)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  9. LostNspace

LostNspace Strat-Talk Member

John Cruz:

Torvald and Dulles like this.
  10. Bodean

Bodean Just A Simple Man Strat-Talk Supporter

11. Tuner Sandwich

Tuner Sandwich Strat-Talker

No whammies.

[​IMG]

12. Dulles

Dulles New Member!

Thanks fezz parka but my setup is not stable and I'm trying to figure out why. Carl Verhayen pitches his vibrato to get a minor third sweep up and down (1 step on the .009, 2 steps on the .011, 3 steps on the .014, 2 steps on the .022, 3 steps on the .030 and 4 steps on the .040). I managed to get that sweep with a 7mm screw height and changing the screw height changes the sweep. The problem I'm having is described by the question in my original post. I'm going sharp on the bass side after my dives and the claw does change things but not in any predictable way. I sauced my nut but I don't know how to determine if it's still binding or if the cut angles are off. Any hints?

Hey Thrup'ny Bit, you have no obligation to post unhelpful crap either but for some reason that came easier for you. Keep that in mind the next time you're near my thread with your keyboard :)

13. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

Look up frudua on youtube.
    Some people here say he is full of crap, but i used his methods on my strats and they do just fine. Here is proof.

14. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    Ahem. Answer (or attempt to) the man's questions or pick another thread to post in.

15. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

OK, that is very likely a nut problem. What's happening is that as you flatten the pitch, the pressure the strings exerts on the nut reduces, so the strings move freely. As you release the bar, the pressure of the strings in the nut grooves increases, so the strings get trapped. You can check if this is so by checking the pitch of the A string behind the nut before and after. You may need to clean the nut grooves with some Wet & Dry paper. Before I get too detailed, can you see if you check this really is where the problem lies?

EDIT: If your string is flat behind the nut after the bar bend, that means some of the return to pitch wasn't distributed evenly along the string, to the 'speaking length' between the nut and the bridge must now be slightly SHARP [corrected text]. However, this phenomenon can be disguised slightly by the fact that the springs will adjust to the new tension of the strings slightly. That means the bridge will not have returned all the way back to its initial position, making the unwound strings very slightly flat, which you should also check.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  16. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

Mmm. I think you’re being a little touchy with only 4 posts on the board. Suggest you loosen the reins a little and you’ll enjoy it more! Peace...

CFFF, CB91710, Mansonienne and 5 others like this.
  17. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

That whammy demo is always hilarious to hear. :)

heltershelton and simoncroft like this.
  18. Chief101

Chief101 Senior Stratmaster

Clearly @Thrup'ny Bit ‘s unique sense of humor was under-appreciated by the uninitiated. Stick around @Dulles you will learn to love him. He’s the Uncle with a glass of scotch at all the family get togethers.

CB91710, Chont, fezz parka and 2 others like this.
  19. SilvaStrat

SilvaStrat Strat-O-Master

i do have a problem with the standard six screw bridge because when you pull up or down o the bar it slides up or down the screws, then I found this Babicz tremolo that have the screws notched, you may want to look for some notched screws. , that will allow you to set upjust like a Floyd rose
    IMG_1832.JPG IMG_1831.JPG

20. fezz parka

It's binding somewhere. Your likely culprit is the nut. I've never had one bind at the bridgeplate with the screws set up like I describe above.

Verheyen is all wet with his angled claw stuff. Watch the Frudua video. Simon has some good points above.

It's important to remember that the original bridge has its limitations. If you turn the strings to rubber on a dive, you've exceeded the limits. A full step up or down you're safe. If its setup like I describe you'll come back to an acceptable spot. You exceed it...well you know. :)

Its like with a Bigsby. A half step either way you're ok. Any more and you're not.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    3bolt79, CB91710, Chont and 1 other person like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.