Join Strat-Talk Today

The Strat history and models

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Fretmeltkid, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Senior Stratmaster

You know the Welsh rugby team are going to need some new talent soon :p

2. T Guitar Floyd

T Guitar Floyd Senior Stratmaster

Can you show us pictures, with head shape, body, routing and other details? Someone on here may know.

davidwhitson likes this.
  3. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

Agreed. I am not familiar with any The STRAT before the middle of 1980; I would like to see the neck dates you have of late 1979 as well as the detailed shots of your guitar.

Don't go by the Norman's videos - unless it's a pre-CBS they don't bother to take the necks off and check dates. Fender used "E0xxxxx" serial numbers on The STRAT through most of their model run (if they didn't use E0 then they typically used a G number; some of the last of them may have E2xxxxx serial numbers). I have only seen 1980 and 1981 models, and every one I have seen had the Lead-style headstock (with the straight lower edge). That was from seeing and playing them between July 1980 and April 1981 - played 4 of them; after April 1981 the shop I was dealing with lost their Fender franchise; the shop that took it over never did stock a The STRAT; I guess they spent all their Fender stocking $$$$ on re-creating the "International Colours" Strat ad (they stocked all of the colors from that series - and it was the end of the big headstock models just before the Dan Smith came out at the end of 1981).

davidwhitson and T Guitar Floyd like this.
  4. davidwhitson

davidwhitson Strat-Talker

How about some photos to support your position?

5. qblue

qblue Senior Stratmaster

6. Fretmeltkid

Fretmeltkid Strat-Talker

There is nothing on that website that i can find about "The Strat"

7. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

The correct designation for the model you are asking about is "The STRAT", in all capital letters.

8. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

Fretmeltkid is correct - there is nothing on that site about "The STRAT" as it ends in 1979 - with very inaccurate data as the big headstock Strats went on through the end of 1981. The writer of the guitarhq.com was going by the serial number decals, which of course is wrong because S9xxxxx was used on Strats until the Smith Strat came out in 1982.

Fretmeltkid - you need to provide photos of your The STRAT, including ones showing the neck and body dates. If you have one with a 1979 neck date with the Smith Strat headstock than it would be a really odd/rare thing. As I mentioned I don't recall there being a The STRAT until the summer of 1980 - but they certainly could have been producing them in the fall of 1979 for an anticipated January 1980 introduction date, but then they missed that date and didn't wind up actually releasing them until the summer due to production issues (I think there might have been some issues with mass producing the Dan Armstrong-designed electronics). But one with a 1979 neck date should have the Lead-style headstock and not the Smith headstock.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    davidwhitson likes this.
  9. Danmax

Danmax New Member!

David, I like that book. I guess I can check Amazon to see if anyone still sells it. Headstock's is something I never knew went through minor changes, other than *small/large Headstocks*, **Neck shapes, C-V-D & so on**. As for anything else, most of it is new to me because I have always bounced back & forth with Les Paul's & then Strat's. As far as when I own, 3 Strat Bodies from the 70's, an 85 or 86, [probably an 86 Strat Fender Squier MIJ, 89 MIK Fender Strat, then up to my 1999 70's RI, [Probably MIM but not sure since I am relying on the seller telling me the truth with no paperwork to back t up. The rest are **2000, **2000-01-**2001-02 MIM, 2004-05 MIM, **2008 MIA Black Strat Body, [for my David Gilmour Build]
    That's one reason I wanted to find some books to buy that are all about Strat's. With everyone & his brother making Strat shaped Bodies, it's always a ''Coin Toss'' on the ''Authenticity.'' Not to forget Pickup's & Pickguards. I'll start a new post with the 3 70's A Strat's I have so I can show you what I have. In the meantime, if there's also another Strat book I could buy, I'd love to get the name of it so I can hunt one down. Thanks for the pictures there Dave....

10. balston11

balston11 Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

I recommend The Stratocaster Guitar book by Tony Bacon
    The Story of The Fender Stratocaster by Ray Minhinnett and Bob Young
    and whilst not just Strats The Ultimate Fender Book by Paul Day and Dave Hunter

11. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Yep, got that, they now do a general acoustic one, a Tele and a LP one too. Surprising amount of info and tips in an unusual, compact, form.

Alan Crossley likes this.
  12. Wrighty

No, but I can now get my fan belt set right!

dueducs and Alan Crossley like this.
  13. Alan Crossley

Yes, but with little or no thanks to the manual !

14. Wrighty

True! Just found out that a fan belt is the female equivalent of a jock strap apparently

15. Alan Crossley

You’re obviously well on top of the Haynes manual science of interpretation!

16. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

No, he's just completely crackers. Somebody forgot to lock the door again.

17. Wrighty

You know something, they should do one on women, probably stretch to several volumes and leave us none the wiser!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.