"THE" Strat sound versus "THE" Tele sound.

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Digiplay, Jan 16, 2021.

1. tinkertoy

tinkertoy Strat-O-Master

I have a freeway tele 6 way switch in my strat.

1 bank does the 3 traditional tele sounds and the other does the b/m, m, and n/m.

It doesn't really sound like a tele except for the bridge/neck sound.

StratoMutt likes this.
  2. HazyPurple

HazyPurple Without stress... my life would be empty Silver Member

The 'ashtray bridge' is a factor on a Tele' imo.

Nate D likes this.
  3. Chmason85

Chmason85 Strat-Talker

I forgot to mention that I wired this pickguard up and built a swamp ash hardtail strat with it for the purpose of having a strat feel and tele sound. At the end of the day, still a strat fwiw. But that’s fine because I love strats.

4. CigBurn

CigBurn Total Hack

My main tele outputs a bit higher than any of my strats. Pushes the pedals/amp a bit more which changes how I play somewhat. Playing the same song with either I tend to work the guitar to make the sound I expect. Jamming out a solo though I let them be more themselves and work with whatever it is they are giving me.

So my answer is sure, they can be made to sound similar and when needed, cool. I prefer though to see where the differences take me.

rafasounds likes this.
  5. tanta07

tanta07 Strat-O-Master

My Tele started its life as a standard 2 pickup Tele, hence the "modified."

Do you have more info on the mod you're talking about. I'm intrigued, especially with having the bridge and neck pickups engaged simultaneously.

Since I became Start-obsessed, my poor neglected Tele doesn't see much action anymore.

6. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

If you float, there's probably a tiny bit of subtle vibrato from picking and string vibration, but I really doubt there's any harmonic content from them. You could place a thin piece of foam on them to completely dampen them to test and see if there's any change in sound.

StratoMutt likes this.
  7. Hudman_1

Hudman_1 Strat-O-Master

I read that Gibson made the Les Paul to compete with the Telecaster.

8. Hudman_1

Hudman_1 Strat-O-Master

I’m in the camp that believes it’s hard to get the Tele twang or Tele jazz tones out of a Strat. I believe it’s easier to imitate a classic Strat tone with a Tele by rolling the volume down a bit. Either way, I believe both have their own distinct distinct voices. This is a valid reason to own one of each.

rafasounds likes this.
  9. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

Many big name players have said that a hardtail Strat, while sounding mostly like a Strat, sounds a little different. I have seen some even say or suggest that it goes a little into Tele territory, but won't bother finding the exact quote or who said it. It's kind of in the collective consciousness. So I'm content with that - sounds like a Strat but different. I have always thought the springs on a Strat do add something to the sound, but of course I'm no scientist, engineer or even pastor, so I can't say for sure.

10. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster

I've heard twangish Strats (Al Anderson through a tweed could do this) and smooth, sweet Teles. Each one could approach the other's tonal territory, but neither could actually cop any of the other's tones.

The Tele has two different pickups with completely different tones and, in parallel, a third tone. I've never heard a Strat that could overcome the laws of physics and get any of those tones. Add the Tele ashtray/3-saddle bridge assembly and it moves the tone even farther away from a Strat.

My CP50s Strat can put the neck and bridge pickups in parallel. I've read people's opinions that that 'should' produce a Tele middle position tone. I don't hear that at all.

qblue likes this.
  11. Digiplay

Digiplay Strat-Talker

Hi rafasounds!

It's ironic you bring the springs up :)

While I was just strumming my new Strat, as well as my Nash Tele (both unplugged), I noticed that there are some strange (to me :) ) harmonics/resonance/sounds coming out of the back of the Strat from the back cover plate area.

I also noted that when I pressed the body/plate tightly against my body, that resonance was not as noticeable, and the body definitely sounded more resonant/louder.

Any ideas/solutions/comments?

rafasounds likes this.
  12. rafasounds

I had this happen to me before. Sometimes, for unknown reasons, there can be these "wolf tones" or random notes ringing from somewhere in the guitar. It can come from springs. Sometimes finding and replacing the spring resolves the problem. Sometimes the sound is hard to trace.

13. Digiplay

Digiplay Strat-Talker

I wonder if stuffing the cavity with cotton/filler would get rid of the ringing?

14. rafasounds

Feel it in your hand first. Play a string or note until the ghost note comes out. While it rings, touch the springs one by one with your hand. When the unwanted note stops, you've found the culprit. Then you remove this one and replace, or try putting some foam or cotton inside.

15. Digiplay

Digiplay Strat-Talker

I just found this interesting video rafasounds:

rafasounds likes this.
  16. scooteraz

scooteraz Senior Stratmaster

@Digiplay, I built this Strat to solve the conundrum in your OP....

upload_2021-1-18_18-56-22.jpeg

If I were more skilled, I wouldn’t need this....LOL

rafasounds, StratoMutt and Digiplay like this.
  17. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

if you go binka binka binka binka bink bink down by the bridge with your picking hand you can get a tele sound out of almost any guitar.

soulstew and rafasounds like this.
  18. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Well, you have that Strat Volume knob in the way or you could play all of Hendrix's tones plus all the Tele stuff. Look at how often he would have hit that knob. Most Strat players learn not to hit the knob by restricting their picking to remain between the middle pickup and the neck pickup or maybe the neck. Different tones than back by the bridge pickup or saddles.

Here is a Tele making the tones of a hundred guitarists and dozens of guitar models.
    You may notice that picking goes from saddles to neck just like Hendrix did, without that Strat volume knob in the way.

Tguitarfloyd likes this.
  19. Digiplay

Digiplay Strat-Talker

I've never looked under my Elite Strat pickguard, but as it can accept a humbucker, perhaps the routing will be large enough to mount a Tele pickup if I decide to ever go that route.

20. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

Well considering a lot of people think Hendrix used a Strat on Red House (it was an SG and/or Flying V) and EJ used a Strat on Cliffs of Dover (it was an ES 335 except for 12 seconds of the solo) yet both played these songs live with a Strat I’d say good players can make any guitars sound pretty much however they want with some knob twists on both guitar and amp.