Join Strat-Talk Today

The Strat that keeps following me

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Pdsor, May 22, 2020 at 5:31 PM.

1. Pdsor

Pdsor Strat-Talk Member

Kind of a long story, but amusing. I saw an interesting Strat for sale back in January on Facebook. It was an Apple Green FSR 50s MIM Strat and they were asking $375, which seemed pretty reasonable. I got the serial number from the seller to help figure out what it was, but ultimately decided not to get it due to financial considerations. A few weeks later, I see someone listing what looked like a similar guitar, this one had a photo of the serial number, it matched. This guy was asking $600, but he did not identify it correctly on the listing either. A few weeks after that, I see it listed again, still $600, but different seller and new photos. I am starting to think that I dodged a bullet, that there has to be something wrong with it.

Well, yesterday I was browsing Music Go Round and there it is again. https://www.musicgoround.com/produc...assic-50s-stratocaster-electric-guitars-green I am sure they were not one of the Facebook sellers. I’m kinda tempted to call them out of curiosity, but I probably won’t. Anyway, I am very curious what it is about this thing that makes folks buy it and sell it right away.

3bolt79 and circles like this.
  2. tanta07

tanta07 Strat-Talker

Do they normally give that little specific information on guitars on that site? I have that exact guitar, same color and everything, and it's a great guitar. I also paid about $600 for mine. For that price, it's a bargain.

3bolt79 and bsman like this.
  3. Pdsor

Pdsor Strat-Talk Member

Yeah, I would never have them ship a guitar. I have seen something interesting and gone in to check it out, but their descriptions are not great.

3bolt79 likes this.
  4. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

It's sad that there are so many scams. The recurring postings are red flags. Then again, so many people trying to flip guitars (and anything ) for profit.

If you could have it your hands. Play it, assess it. It could be a good buy.

Gotta see it in person.

3bolt79 likes this.
  5. bsman

bsman Strat-O-Master

Do you still have the item? I will arrange to have my agent pick it up, and will send you a $1200 cashier's check drawn on the Bank of Lagos. You can keep an extra $100 as your fee....

6. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Most Honored Senior Member

just a bit of info.....If I remember correctly, Music Go Round sells stuff on consignment. It might be the seller that had it listed locally, but now they are going through MGR....

If you look at the top of their page, you can see they are affiliated with other second hand sites....

My buddy has bought pedals through this site....

3bolt79 likes this.
  7. Pdsor

Pdsor Strat-Talk Member

They are a franchise, not sure if they do consignment or just buy from folks outright. I have sold a couple of things to them, consigning never came up.

crawdaddy and 3bolt79 like this.
  8. Groovey

You must be a Nigerian Prince?

9. bsman

bsman Strat-O-Master

No you have me mistaken for my brother. I'm the sergeant of an American squad of infantry to found millions of dollars in one of Saddam Hussein's palaces and needs a place to stash the money...

Deafsoundguy and 3bolt79 like this.
  10. tanta07

tanta07 Strat-Talker

Since they are a well-known national chain, I would trust in their return policy if you get it in your hands and it's got major flaws.

It's a little concerning that it's been flipped so many times so quickly, but it is a made-in-Mexico Strat in a color that's probably not very desirable to most people (except weirdos like us...heh), and it's being sold at a pretty good discount (they were selling new for $899, I believe).

I think the price tag is good enough to roll the dice on perhaps scoring a very cool guitar, and if it does have major problems, make use of the company's return policy; nobody gets hurt.

jtoomuch likes this.
  11. Pdsor

Pdsor Strat-Talk Member

I am not actually in the market any more, but I just can’t stop checking out what’s for sale. Probably not going to end well. :)

wrvond likes this.
  12. Groovey

Oh. Well. In that case let me send much dollarz.....

13. tanta07

tanta07 Strat-Talker

Oh, God, can I relate to THAT. LOL

Kester and WilseyFanPDX like this.
  14. tinkertoy

tinkertoy Strat-Talker

I've been watching a guitar on reverb for a while.

I was tempted to snag it,but it sold before I could. I checked it sold.
    Well, a few weeks later, it shows up again.
    Then sells
    Then shows up AGAIN.

I emailed them and asked why it keeps coming back, with obviously no reply. What can you say?

Staying away from this one.

Pdsor likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.