1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

The Stratosphere?

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by The Panhandler, Apr 16, 2020.

1. wrvond

wrvond Senior Stratmaster

If you bought all the parts to build a car it would cost far more than the finished product from a dealer's lot.
    You know all this, it just isn't registering yet. ;)

nadzab and CB91710 like this.
  2. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Most Honored Senior Member

I get that. But AutoZone doesn't buy cars off the lot and disassemble them to sell the parts.

I guess The Stratosphere must be have Fender Dealer status that allows them to buy wholesale from the factory. I couldn't buy a Fender and sell the parts for a profit. Could I?

wrvond likes this.
  3. mapleglo

mapleglo Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I think a lot of what they buy is "B" stock, so the entire instruments are a lot cheaper than new.

4. wrvond

wrvond Senior Stratmaster

Good points.
    I do remember when Stratosphere first started. They didn't have nearly the inventory they have now. I wasn't even sure they were going to make it.

I shoulda bought stock!

CB91710 and Nadnitram like this.
  5. ryunker

ryunker Senior Stratmaster

First, their customer service before i discovrred my issue was good. Once discovered after neck installed and setup, needed fret work big time. Mind you I paid $200 for this new neck, same cost as fender direct, so i chose to give them the business. Same funds, no problem. I had the guitar assembled and setup, (again paid local shop).

The frets buzzed like mad, virtually unplayable. Shop (Fender authorized) said, well we can just file warranty and fix it. I was again ok with that solution. I contacted stratosphere and the true colors came out. Zero help, found this advertised "New neck" was new price, with zero warranty or assistance. So a piece of lumber.

Stratosphere was and to this day has done zero, and accepted my new cash, and i was out again over half the cost of the neck to get the neck straightened out. It has been fine since, but it costed me an extra hundred bucks.

Never again.

Thanks for asking. I dont like going around bashing people trying to make a living, but this deal still gets me fired up.

CB91710 likes this.
  6. stratomatt

stratomatt Strat-O-Master

Stratosphere is legit.

7. roadhog96

roadhog96 Senior Stratmaster

Everyone who has had a good business transaction with them is happy but if you didn’t why would you. I purchased a set of Fender locking tuners from them a few years ago that were listed as like new condition and what a joke that turned out to be. The set was missing all the washers and nuts to install them. 2 of the tuners had marks in them. I contacted them immediately and they questioned me as if it were my fault. Am I sure I didn’t drop them on the floor, or throw them out by mistake, could they be under the packing material. They wouldn’t admit they could have made a mistake or offer any restitution. How hard would it have been to check in the shop to see if they were left on a bench when they were removed. They came off a guitar so the parts had to be there originally. I had to get eBay involved to get my money back. I returned them and a few days later they were listed on eBay again without the washers and nuts. I will never do business with them again or recommend them.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    Deafsoundguy likes this.
  8. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Currently, they list a Vintera body w/hardware for $349
    Neck is $299
    Loaded pickguard is $179
    That's $827 plus tuners and gig bag, the Vintera lists for $899.

That's pretty close. Other builds I've priced out have been over MSRP by 10-20%, and a few, such as an SG Standard, are significantly under ($300 less for the SG if I'm not overlooking anything)

Nadnitram likes this.
  9. paulnb57

paulnb57 Strat-Talk Member

[​IMG]
    This all Rosewood (WD) neck came from The Stratosphere, expensive by the time I paid shipping and import charges, but it’s perfect.

CB91710 and Deafsoundguy like this.
  10. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Strat-Talker

you better know what you're buying before you buy it. I bought a body from them once that was clearly light yellow in the pictures. When it arrived it was manila envelope / computer case beige/tan. NOT YELLOW at all. I was not happy. With that said, they take returns extremely well, so I like that about them except for the lost $30 in shipping costs of course.

11. Tinman207

Tinman207 Strat-Talk Member

Yea, I have always thought the same thing. I have purchased from them in the past and it's always a little painful because the price for a neck or body is jacked up and doesn't equate to what it would proportionally cost in the full guitar. It's actually an interesting business model they figured out and they have been doing it for some time. The funny thing is you could buy all the parts from them at a cost higher than the whole guitar is worth, and then sell the guitar as a "partscaster" for less than the guitar would have been new from the factory.

12. mapleglo

mapleglo Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

The "sum of the parts" thing doesn't seem to work in this case.

CB91710 likes this.
  13. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Strat-O-Master

Have a look at some of the custom guitar parts makers. You can probably get a custom neck or body made for the same price. There will be different costs, risks, and some more work needed, but IMO you are likely to be treated better as a customer and end up with a higher quality item. I bought from Stratosphere couple of times. In my case it was not a disaster, but I think they are too expensive for the service they offer.

14. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

I used to buy from them quite a bit, and was always satisfied - haven't done a partscaster in a while. My best-playing Strat has a Classic '60s neck from The Stratosphere...it has the most beautiful dark rosewood I've ever seen. They can be expensive, but like anything, if you don't like the price, you're free to take your business elsewhere.

15. Funk McNasty

Funk McNasty Senior Stratmaster

I ordered a Strat Body from The Stratosphere a few years ago. Fast shipping and the body was as described—no issues with them. My only gripe with them is that they don’t accept Reverb bucks for their Reverb.com listings! (Which annoys me because my family and friends always get me Reverb gift cards for birthdays and Christmas!)

Not sure how they obtain their inventory, but it’s all legit brand manufactured stuff, not counterfeit. They seem to have a wholesale deal with someone. But, they’re a trusted source for legit parts on the internet and have been for at least 15 years if not longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  16. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member

I purchased an American Standard loaded body a couple years ago. It was exactly as advertised: accurate weight and description. My only minor niggle with the body is the rib cut contour (from the factory) is a bit chunky. That's on Fender though (crappy QA) but other than that it's a beautiful Sienna Burst.

I look at their bodies listed once or twice a month and Fender is using mostly dense (heavy) swamp wood now. :thumbd: Plus, their prices have inflated up a bit and their stuff is no longer a 'really good deal'.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  17. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

I've bought a few things from them ,but the necks an body prices are 2 much .

18. integra evan

integra evan Strat-O-Master

[​IMG]

This is my #1. It's a 2014 LP Standard, the husk I got from Stratosphere. They have good deals on Gibson husks (especially on LP 50's and 60's Standards, those seem to sell right away).
    The pictures on their site aren't the best, and they did certainly not do this husk justice. I've bought quite a few other things from them, Strat bodies, necks, parts, and pedals. Never had an issue, and they were always super friendly. Speedy shipping and speedy on returns a couple times I returned items.

CB91710 likes this.
  19. Dougeryb

Dougeryb Strat-O-Master

Just bought a new neck from them. I switched course after purchase from rosewood to maple and they took care of my order promptly.

When I got the neck, it was physically perfect looking. Definitely un-used.

After install... Ive got to say, I hit the jackpot. It is absolutely the best neck I've gotten straight out of the box. Straight as can be, no dead spots, no sprout, and probably the most level frets I've played straight from the factory (I mean, Im really happy). I REALLY like my new neck from the Sphere.

If I had to nitpick, the nut was a little rough, but thats it.

This is my 4th or 5th purchase from them (one body, one neck, couple sets of tuners and pg's), and I havent had any issues with their product quality or service yet.