The Stratosphere's curious business model...

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by AxemanVR, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Mahoot

Mahoot Strat-Talk Member

Nice build btw.

AxemanVR likes this.
  2. hcski25

hcski25 Strat-Talker

One other thing I'll add about why I like Stratosphere...I prefer fat necks and at least a 1 11/16th nut width. Outside of the custom shop, good luck getting a stock, new Fender with those specs. So for me, it's a perfect scenario....buy a like new genuine body or loaded body and then add a Warmoth neck. No need to pay a premium for a full guitar with warranty only to sell the neck and void my warranty anyway.

Buzzgrowl, nadzab and AxemanVR like this.
  3. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

Oh I agree you got it at a better price for sure. You should definitely feel good about it.

AxemanVR likes this.
  4. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

THIS +1

They don't pay retail.

5. Baelzebub

As you should. Plus you have the satisfaction of putting it together yourself, getting it the way you want it in the process and not having to buy it whole and then undo someone else's mistakes or bad craftmanship.

But the question was about their business model, and the answer as to how they can make a profit has to lie in their product cost. They put shipping on the buyer and their overhead is someone to disassemble and store the parts and marketing through a website. Volume and lower product cost has to be the answer.

I marvel at Harley Benton. How they can sell a guitar of the quality they do for $200 is beyond me. Not that it's up to Gibson standards but it's pretty damn good for $200. They'll sell you the same guitar as a kit for $189. So where are they finding someone to assemble these things for $11??

An oversimplification I know..but man...the ways people manage to turn a buck never cease to amaze me.

AxemanVR likes this.
  6. Baelzebub

Good analysis. I was surprised yesterday looking at a CL ad, ostensibly for an Am Pro but actually a Performer, but that's beside the point. He had included in his ad a screen capture of an Am Pro II offered by Sweetwater at $1599.

Hell, I can buy the same thing direct from fender for about $1349 and their list is $1499, which is the price I've seen just about everywhere. Don't know why it surprised me but it did..

(ps- I contacted the seller and gave him the straight dope on what he was selling. he'd listed it for his dad. He corrected his ad and dropped the price accordingly).

edro likes this.
  7. Deebs3

Deebs3 Strat-O-Master

I think they have a great business model, only I wish I had thought of it first. There is a company here who only sell guitar pedals, all of the main brands, also wish I had thought of that first too.

8. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Silver Member

I get that they don't pay retail, but my point was that they could sell a complete guitar for more than the separate parts.

In that case it must be the quantity that they sell, not the potential profit per "complete unit". So now I'm assuming their rationale is "Sell for less and get a whole lot more sales".

Anyway, I always found their prices to be reasonable (for things that may be fairly difficult to find otherwise) and that's why I keep going back...

`

`

9. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

They're almost certainly listed as a dealer and one I believe able to buy in quantity.

I wouldn't call their pricing awful but it pays to shop around. The best thing I've found is that if there is a very specific part, neck, or body you want they more than likely will have it or can get it.

10. Mahoot

Mahoot Strat-Talk Member

Could use one of these companies in the uk.

11. Baelzebub

Ah..I see what you're after then. I can only surmise that in order to get the price they do there must be some agreement, tacit or otherwise to not do so. Otherwise they would be undercutting the manufacturer's business, and it would make sense to give Stratosphere the price they that makes it doable for them.

12. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

And then complain about the lack of brick and mortar stores............................yep, great ethic

13. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Silver Member

Well, I’m pretty sure their inventory is mainly tied to the most current models available.

Back in late 2011 I bought a Fender AVRI ‘52 Hot Rod Telecaster neck, which was great since that’s what I was looking for at the time (it matched the look of my 2003 Fender AVRI ‘52 Telecaster body but came with modern frets and fingerboard radius).

Good thing I got it when I did because once Fender discontinued the “AVRI Hot Rod” line these necks dried up very quickly.

Point is, if you’re looking for a specific feature, better to decide sooner than later if you really want it or else it may all go up in smoke!

BTW, still have that guitar and still love it...

081F0FE5-A410-4643-9613-95447CCF5F2D.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  14. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I just remembered that I got the SCN pickups I have loaded in one of my Strat Plus's from Stratosphere. I got them off ebay individually..can't exactly remember if I won them all at auction or got one or two with BIN, but I paid about $110 total for the set.

15. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Senior Stratmaster

I completely forgot about this place. I may have to see what they have in the way of Gibson pickups for my Goldtop.

Nice deal on that SG! I'd love to have one myself.

AxemanVR likes this.
  16. provels

provels Strat-Talk Member

17. Richard McKay

Richard McKay Strat-Talk Member

I have a near perfect Partscaster where the body and neck came from Stratosphere. To do what I wanted, I would have had to buy two guitars and scavenge the parts to build one. So much cheaper to get exactly what I wanted. Also, check out 920D for loaded pick guards. That's how I got my combination of JB and Pearly Gates (neck) with 5 way (2 and 4 split inner or outer coils). Fender's never going to make that outside of the custom shop. BTW, it sounds immense!

18. ratdoc

ratdoc New Member!

Well no, it's advertised at Sweetwater for $729.99. Once you contact them, it's selling for less...

19. PaulHikeS2

PaulHikeS2 Strat-Talk Member

After playing an American Professional Strat, I decided to upgrade my Player Strat with V-Mod pickups. I was going to upgrade the rest of the electronics too - CTS POTS and CRL switch. The pickups were $199 wherever I looked. I went to the STRATosphere and found a loaded pickguard with the V-Mod pickups and all of the same electronics I was going to buy and wire myself for the same $199. Not sure how they do it, as they claim they wired it themselves.

BuddyHollywood likes this.
  20. Zippofan

Zippofan New Member!

I check Stratosphere from time to time to see what they have on offer. I bought my American Special Tele body from them, as I had a fat neck from Warmoth that I decided not to use on my standard Tele. I found a 60's Baja neck on Stratosphere for the standard.
    Both guitars are awesome, the standard with the Baja neck is my favorite, and the Special with the Warmoth neck is just as nice. I was able to build both guitars exactly how I wanted. I'm not concerned with resale, just making the guitars that I like and want to play.

BuddyHollywood likes this.