The Stratosphere's curious business model...

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by AxemanVR, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Zeekrider

Zeekrider Strat-Talker

I have found the same is true with Telecasters, at Stratosphere. I don't use the same exact components that were originally in the guitar, though, as I pick and choose from Fender-made bodies and necks, and usually acquire pickups, pick guards, tuners, bridges, and electronic parts elsewhere.

All in all, I have bought only Fender branded necks and bodies and the resulting instruments are much more desirable to me than one off the rack, as each component was cherry picked to my specification. And the total cost has always been less than buying a complete Fender off the rack at a music store.

Stratosphere has been a godsend to me; I love their business model... I've put together well over a dozen awesome Fenders with Fender-brand bodies and necks from them.

Pandamasque and AxemanVR like this.
  2. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Strat-Talker

The downside being, you'll never know if you'll love the guitar you bought without playing it first.

3. PaulHikeS2

PaulHikeS2 Strat-Talk Member

Just received a loaded Fender V-Mod strat pickguard from STRATosphere for my Player Strat. Fender V-Mod pups, CTS pots, and CRL switch. All good, but here's the bad: The pickguard, and aged white pearloid is not Fender. I suspected as much by the listing, but my inquiry to customer service to confirm went unanswered. Not a deal breaker, as the price - $199 - was the same as purchasing the pups alone most anywhere. But the part that made be a bit upset was that the pup covers, knobs, switch tip and trem bar tip were horribly cheap import bright white. They just look wrong. I've since ordered a full authentic Fender trim kit in parchment from Amazon for less than $20. So STRATosphere is selling individually all of those trim parts and making a good bit of money. That should help explain their business model. I'm not unhappy overall with my purchase, and I like the pickguard, but I wish I knew in advance that I was going to need to replace all of the trim parts as I would have been prepared.