Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

The Studio One facebook page is overrun with Sonar Refugees

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by Dadocaster, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

They are all quite upset to lose their home DAW and are clamoring for assistance in finding a new home. I would assume the poor folks are probably overrunning all the other DAW pages as well. :D

circles likes this.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Stratmaster

Dec 4, 2009
    POWDERVILLE, UTAH
    i'm one.

used sonar since 2008,
    right now i have an old machine with sonar 6 on it, running win xp,
    and it has run flawlessly.
    off the web, no updates, it works as good today as it did in 2010 when i built it.

i was going to build a new DAW starting dec 1......

now i'll have to start completely over.

i'm looking at new software now,
    and regretting the time i will have to spend for the learning curve for new software,
    when right now, i'm so fluid with my system, i can record almost anything immediately.

3. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 4, 2015
    New Jersey
    When they tried that dumb Adobe model monthly payment thing, I knew the end was near.

Too bad. I had Cakewalk software since the early 90s when I was in grammar school and the only kid with a sound card.

CigBurn likes this.

4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

I still have Pro Audio 9 somewhere. It refused to work with Windows 7. o_O I tried Sonar but it seemed to lack most of the bits that I used most. I didn't realise who had bought the company until I read about it this morning.

5. TheDuck

TheDuck Senior Stratmaster

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    I did a stint with one of the early versions of Cakewalk. It was ok, and got the job done, but I moved to Pro Tools shortly after.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017

6. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Oh no. Sorry to hear about someone who works prolifically and well being impacted. Hope you sort it out soon.

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Stratmaster

Dec 4, 2009
    POWDERVILLE, UTAH
    well, thanks for that thought, dadocaster,
    but looks like i'll just have to decide on a new DAW,
    and take the time (the one thing i do NOT have!) to learn a new system.

my current DAW is too old for crossgrade,
    and i cannot purchase a new version of Sonar now,
    so i'm stuck.

8. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Did SONAR cease to exist?

@gonzo - If you're in a pinch and need a DAW asap, give Reaper a look. Its actually a really good DAW, and the price cant be beat.
    Pro Tools | FIRST is free, with a few limitations, despite that, its a really powerful DAW.

It sucks being forced to learn new software. Hopefully the transition goes as smooth as possible for you.

9. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    TheDuck likes this.

10. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2017

11. pazman6

pazman6 Strat-O-Master

I started using Cakewalk in 2004 with Guitar Tracks Pro. Moved to Sonar in 2007 and have been on a new or close to new version ever since. Currently using Platinum with 2 or 3 months left for my updates. I hated the subscription model they moved to. As far as a DAW it is the only one I have used. It has awesome features and includes everything you need to produce music. I went to a ProTools seminar back around Sonar rev8 and ProTools was praising stuff Sonar had years earlier. Also - all the plugins they used at the ProTools session were extra. I will continue to use Sonar as long as it works - I have disks/install files for every version plus install codes for the older versions.

My laptop runs X1, X2, and Platinum. My live room computer uses X1 and X2 and my main mix machine has X1, X2, X3, and Platinum on it.

I downloaded Reaper a month or so ago. I also have Cubase and Studio One. Nothing I have tried compare to Sonar. Sad to see it may end, but I am getting tired of paying to have new software. Looks like I will have to stay in the past and keep some Windows XP and 7 machines running.

12. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Not necessarily a bad thing.

13. amagras

amagras Strat-Talker

Oct 26, 2016
    Ontario
    I haven't heard of a single one in the Pro Tools forums, I guess that speaks about the way people is looking at Avid lately.

14. Gilmourfan75

Gilmourfan75 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 28, 2013
    myrtle beach via ny
    I have sonar pro and just re upped 2 weeks ago. What happened?

15. Gilmourfan75

Jan 28, 2013
    myrtle beach via ny
    This really sucks. I don’t get much playing/recording time , so using my time to learn new programs blows. I always found my way around sonar the easiest. Pro tools always gave me problems with errors etc. I tried Cubase with the free disc that came with my synth , that was the closest to the ease of sonar for me. Since I just renewed my sub for sonar pro just 2 weeks ago I guess I’ll just wait and see if hopefully someone one picks it up and continues it, or use it til it doesn’t work any more. Before I renewed, there was a lapse for about 6 months where I was outdated and noticed it was all laggy and didn’t work right. Hopefully that doesn’t happen

16. Gilmourfan75

Jan 28, 2013
    myrtle beach via ny
    Anyone have any recommendations for a good inexpensive daw for when this ship finally hits the bottom? I don’t need all the plug ins and fancy stuff... I just either usb my axe,Scarlett or synth into the computer so it’s mostly just audio tracks. Just don’t want to spend the 3-500 on the ones I’ve seen that probably come with the bells and whistles. Also need to be easy to use for the technologically challenged.