Join Strat-Talk Today

The ultimate, super-killer buck-banging thread

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by tbp0701, Jul 30, 2006.

1. tbp0701

tbp0701 Strat-Talker

All right, in an effort to get some things rolling, I thought I'd see if this kind of thread generates much interest. I've always been interested the really great products that happen to be fairly affordable. I'll leave "affordable" up to you. However, I'm not really thinking of "pretty good for the price" stuff, but gear that is truly inspiring and just happens to be reasonably priced.

Also, it's nice if you bought an original Tweed Deluxe for $30 and a case of Bud from a cousin with some issues, but I think we should keep it in the range of what people can reasonably expect to find.

I see this as having some catagories:

Instruments
    Amps
    Signal Chain
    Accessories
    Learning Materials/Other things

2. AZMike

AZMike Strat-Talk Member

Hmm...I like the idea of this thread, so I will weigh in on a couple of things. For instruments, I think the Fender Classic series MIM guitars are great instruments at reasonable prices. All the ones I have played felt good, although some were in music stores and needed a setup. I am the proud owner of a 60s Classic strat and I like it more and more as I have set it up to suit me. I'm sure the AVs are wonderful, and my brother-in-law has a Custom Shop strat that is very nice, but the Classic Series represent quality to me at a price I can afford, especially used.

Also in the instrument category, I have to put in a plug for a couple of Epiphones I feel lucky to own. One is a '99 Sheraton made in the Samick factory. Beautiful guitar, plays like a dream, the pickups are fine, and it suits my semi-hollow needs at a fraction of the cost of a 335. The other is a G400 Vintage, Epi's "worn finish" version of the SG. Looks great, plays great, and it has that SG bite. These things currently go for $300 new at our favorite catalog stores, and they are actually have a few features that the more expensive Epi SGs don't have like one-piece necks and neck binding. Great little guitar.

Nothing particular to add about Amps, Signal Chain, or Accessories, but someone on one of these forums mentioned the Amazing Slow Downer yesterday. I have a laptop laying around that wasn't doing much, so I bought ASD for $40 (now $45 I hear), installed it, and got an adapter at Radio Shack so I could hook it up to an amp. Great learning tool! For years I have read that the way to learn new stuff is to start slowly and work your way up to speed. This allows you to do that, stay on key, and isolate various parts, repeating those tough sections until you get it down.

Mike

3. Strat-Talk

Strat-Talk Administrator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I'd say the MIM Classics are a great deal. And, the new Highway 1 Strats look like a good deal too. But the new MIM Classic Player Strats are awfully fine too.

For amps, I'd say that you just can't beat an old Fender Champ. Simple, and great at the same time. And there are plenty of them out there.

For signel/accessories I'd vote for a POD. These are great for headphone practice. Plus, they are loads of fun to use with your amp and if you get into recording they come in handy all over again.

4. Chuck Backus

Chuck Backus Strat-Talk Member

This is a terrific thread! Let me chime in with some cheap stuff:

Accessories
    Third Hand Capo. A capo cut into six rotating segments allowing you to depress selected strings at the fret of your choice. It's a cool way to get an altered tuning effect and still utilize standard chord shapes. You'll immediately start playing fresh stuff and it costs less than $10.

Guitar Stand. I leaned my guitar against my amp for almost 20 years. Result? One broken headstock, a couple bent tuning machines, countless dings, dents, cracks, splits, holes, and that sickening sound when you hear it fall over. I finally broke down and bought a $20 stand. What was I waiting for?

Guitar Slide. I know...you've already got one. Go get another one. If you've got a glass one, get a brass one. Got a steel one? Get a porcelain one. Got a thick one? Go get a thin one. Spend $8 and be inspired by the tonal varieties created by different types of slides.

Flatwound Strings. Put 'em on your Strat, crank the reverb and remind yourself why you loved surf music when you were younger. $16.

Signal Chain
    ART Tube MP Preamp. I use this little critter all the time. It makes a nice direct box for my bass, works as a vocal preamp for shoestring budget demos, and you can even dirty up your guitar signal with it. I think I paid $90 or something close to that.

Sometimes cheap is good!

5. hans-jürgen

hans-jürgen Strat-Talk Member

As for underrated guitars I'd like to mention MIJ Tokai Strats and Telecasters, because they still are cheaper than their Les Paul copies, especially the ones after 1984 with the slightly altered headstock. And if you're interested in a "Super Strat" with HSS pickup configuration and Floyd Rose-style vibrato, a Tokai from the mid to late '80s is cheap as dirt, but has the same exceptional build quality as their normal Strats.

And for amps I would recommend Fender Bassman heads from the '60s that are still underrated in my opinion compared to what they deliver.

6. tbp0701

tbp0701 Strat-Talker

Great responses.

I have a few things in mind, but for now I'll put the one farily inexpensive thing that's lasted the longest (and probably survived a little abuse in my younger days) and really helped my playing, no matter the instrument. It's this annoying little thing:

[​IMG]

The Wittner Taktell Super-Mini. No batteries, just wind the sucker up and have it make you painfully aware of any slight fumbles in your playing. I used to have a teacher who liked to say you don't know a piece until you can play it with a metronome. By the way, mine is marked "W.Germany," which should give an idea of how long I've had it.

7. bek

bek Strat-Talk Member

Without a doubt, the best I've encountered are the Deaf-Eddie switches for Strats and Teles. Cheap, invisible, easily reversible, gives GREAT sounds not normally available. I could live without ANY other accessories, but the Fat-O-Caster is a must-have. http://www.deaf-eddie.net/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.