Join Strat-Talk Today

The Ultra is Here!!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by aviamsi, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Dickey69

Dickey69 Strat-Talk Member

That's because the past is where the great music is; not much happening in THAT department nowadays.
    YAWN! Another 2-point trem & unfinished neck. I DO like the color & prefer the headstock-mounted TR adjustment, which is why I prefer 70s Strats. But new ones? No thanx.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  2. Class A Knob

Class A Knob Senior Stratmaster

Yawn....

abnormaltoy likes this.
  3. Bluestrat83

Bluestrat83 Senior Stratmaster

Wasn't a fan of the american deluxe/elite models or noisless pups till I heard this ones. Looks that they got it right this time... But still for the price I would save a little bit more and get an used Suhr or something like that.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    abnormaltoy likes this.
  4. Nerd

Nerd Strat-O-Master

Are you getting yourself a little something for a round number bday? :)

abnormaltoy likes this.
  5. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Strat-Talk Supporter

After a quick look-see, to me the Ultra's lower arm contour (left) seems to be angled weirdly for upper frets access (compared to the Silver Sky, right):

upload_2019-11-5_11-53-35.png

I guess I'd like to play one and see for myself how it feels, but visually I don't see how that helps given the angle of your arm/wrist when playing higher up on the neck.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  6. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

I had a 2014 Deluxe with a better spec - everything the Elite has plus S1 switching.

I bought a 2017 Deluxe neck that has a slim D profile, 10-14 compound radius. It's on my No.2.

So what's new, exactly?

I'm getting a bit fed up with guitar manufacturers renaming models and going round in circles spec-wise (not just Fender, Gibson do it too); we're not that stupid, surely.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  7. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

Looks they are starting round $1,900 US

I'm a little underwhelmed. I do like the Artic Pearl Tele, though. What color is Texas Tea? It looks black but not for sure. Anybody else know?

abnormaltoy likes this.
  8. Nerd

Nerd Strat-O-Master

It gets brown-ish under light

Boognish and abnormaltoy like this.
  9. IMuzzy

IMuzzy Strat-Talker

Anyone else finding the colour combination a little bit, meh ..?

Dougeryb, Ruscio, Bluestrat83 and 3 others like this.
  10. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth breathin' knuckle dragger Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm in love with my current Strat...BUT, I am interested in finding out if the tremolo block would swap onto a vintage plate so I could use the bar.

11. Belexes

Belexes Strat-Talker

I like the Blue, but bummed that only the HSS has the rosewood board. I like the Artic tele.

Personally, I am glad I got an Elite. It seems more modern than the Ultra, other than the body. I like the electronics on the Elite better at first glance after looking at the Ultra HSS. I don't need the single coil feature. It seems a step back from the Elite for my tastes.

They are great looking guitars. Wished they had better colors. Too many tort pickguards, I don't like those. :)

abnormaltoy likes this.
  12. Otisblove

Otisblove Senior Stratmaster

Thank God I don’t particularly like any of the colors! I can continue to look at less expensive guitars whose finishes I DO like.
    Otherwise the specs all sound right up my alley.

Numbercruncher and abnormaltoy like this.
  13. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

Different design - the Silver Sky mirrors PRS's typical beveled cutaway on the front of the guitar. The Fender is more like the Suhr design:

[​IMG]

bluejazzoid likes this.
  14. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

Thanks - I thought the Elites had the no-load pot. The American Professionals dropped it, so the Ultras are following along by dropping it as well.

15. Akolva1

Akolva1 New Member!

I'd rather buy a Suhr Classic S and call it a day.

nutball73, Dougeryb and Bluestrat83 like this.
  16. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Senior Stratmaster

Internet forums are funny because they seem to forget they aren't actually the target audience. There will be some people on here who will play one, dig it, and even buy it brand new, but not many. Most of us here are set in our ways and happily finding good used deals with out preferred specs. The new flashy thing with a new name that is actually very similar to the old thing with the old name is made to draw in new buyers. That's the job of new product: to make new players and hopefully hook them for the long haul.

The truss rod is a good example. How many new guitarists even know what a truss rod is? There are even veteran gigging guitarists that maybe change their strings and that's it. They all have a preferred tech they take guitars to for everything else. The placement of the truss rod does not even come close to factoring in for most people, unless it's purely aesthetic. There are lots and lots of necks with the truss rod adjustment at the headstock that are plenty stable and perform flawlessly.

For me, the new body contours look good. I'd get a kick out of playing one, but probably wouldn't lay down the cash. Good thing Fender still makes lots of other really nice guitars.

EC Strat-boy and Nick-O like this.
  17. Warlag

Warlag Strat-Talk Member

Can’t wait to try one of these! I had a American Deluxe a couple years ago and sold it.. I miss it and wish I still had it.. tried to buy it back a couple of times and no luck lol. I hope to replace it with another deluxe, elite, or a new ultra.

thxphotog likes this.
  18. Class A Knob

Class A Knob Senior Stratmaster

I feel like the Parallel Universe and Alternate Reality series are significantly more ground breaking than any of these models that are supposed to change the way I play guitar (according to the hyped ad). I feel like it was a build up for a small reveal. Elite is now Ultra just like MIM is now Player. Wow, Fender......mind blown :rolleyes:

19. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Senior Stratmaster

The colors are boring and ugly. Amazing, no Surf Green, no Daphne Blue, no Purple just the same old crap plus Metallic Baby Poop. Bleahhggghh. Even the Butterscotch Tele looks weird have the Fender color people gone blind? C'mon gimme some color man, Fiesta Red, I thought there would be more bold solids along the lines of the Cobalt Blue. Very disappointing. I hate that Metallic Mocha its ugly as all hell.

Erik_C, Ruscio and Numbercruncher like this.
  20. integra evan

integra evan Strat-O-Master

I played a Tele Ultra today in the store...here are my thoughts:
    The contoured heel and cutaway is nice ...its pretty much a direct copy from Suhr, as the heel is thinned out as well. Its comfortable.
    The neck is a little slimmer in hand than the Elites...too thin for me.
    The pickups were ok. Kind of sterile and anemic sounding.
    The particular color scheme I played was sweet...metallic black with white binding, a neat brushed steel pickguard and dark rosewood board looked awesome.

Nerd likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.