The Ultra is Here!!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by aviamsi, Nov 5, 2019.

1. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

Yes - but a Suhr Classic S is now $2,799 MAP. When the Elites first came out in 2016 they were only $200 less than a Suhr Pro Series (as the Classic S was called that year), but now we're talking $800-$900 difference. And of course the Suhr comes with a gig bag instead of a hard case.

Bluestrat83 likes this.
  2. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

`
    Ya see, that's the main stickler for me. I want to hear how the pickups sound "amazing". "The pickups were ok" misses the mark completely for me. "Kind of sterile and anemic sounding" is the death knell as far as I'm concerned.

Comfort is good, looks are good, but if tone is lacking then what's the freakin' point?!?...

`

dbolt likes this.
  3. integra evan

integra evan Strat-O-Master

Yeah, I wouldn't get it either.

AxemanVR likes this.
  4. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member

I just saw a Fender ad on Facebook, and it seems Fender now has some information about their new Ultra series on their web site:
    https://www.fender.com/pages/american-ultra-guitars

I find the progression of names funny (Deluxe -> Elite -> Ultra). I was just thinking, what's next? Maybe they'll pull a Spaceballs and the next version will be the "American Ludicrous"?

fos1 and circles like this.
  5. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member

I like the colors they're offering for these Ultra Strats. I'd also be interested in seeing what exactly the S-1 switch does with this version. It seems they changed the S-1 options slightly with each previous version. Their site says the S-1 switch "adds the neck pickup in to any switch position" - Generally I like that when it's in parallel. I imagine it probably does more than just that though, since with the previous generations, it added different pickup combinations in series..

Darnit Fender. There's already other guitars I've thought about buying, and now this..

6. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

They've gone plaid!

index.jpg

7. Bluestrat83

Bluestrat83 Senior Stratmaster

I've seen Suhr guitars used for $2,200 with nitro finish and everything and from time to time even at $2,000 so that may close the price gap. Difficult to compete with that in the modern meets vintage ballpark. Let's see how the ultras hit the used market in a year or so...

8. Hydr0

Hydr0 Strat-O-Master

If there ever make a Ludicrous Strat, I’ll have to buy it haha

Numbercruncher and CalicoSkies like this.
  9. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

Agreed; you can't compare used prices of one item to new prices of another. Seems like it's ambitious for a used Elite to be much over $1,400, and I would imagine a used Ultra will be about the same (since the MAP is the same as the Elite was for most of its lifespan).

Bluestrat83 likes this.
  10. ChrisD

ChrisD Senior Stratmaster

11. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Strat-O-Master

Reviews on the noiseless pups are not always good. Anyone have a positive experience with them?

12. GarrettM

GarrettM Strat-Talk Member

I'm not gonna buy one, but I disagree with some about the colours.

The mocha burst in particular I think is very nice.

As an aside I can't for the life of me understand why 2-colour sunburst isn't a standard option at all price levels, given it's the original production option.

AxemanVR and circles like this.
  13. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Fender N3 are good.

Kinman are over the top good

gjohnson441496 likes this.
  14. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Looks like the P-bass has no upgrade at all.

Ultra price fell -$100 from the Elite

But no more tinkertoy truss wheel (they changed to the worst of all truss adjustments):

canvsadfgadsfas.png

and no cool rear horn contouring either:
    asdrf.png

No new controls or switching, so the only difference is all D neck (C to D on the Elite).

Again, only the lamest old man colors are available:

canvqas.png
    canfvas.png
    canvgas.png

15. Numbercruncher

Numbercruncher Senior Stratmaster

You mean this color? I cannot imagine a color that does a more effective job of making a guitar look like a cheap piece of plastic other than this one.

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/electric-guitars/telecaster/player-telecaster/0145212550.html

And on the outgoing Elite models, I really liked the blue burst with ebony fretboard. That was a real looker for me.

NC

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    gjohnson441496 and vid1900 like this.
  16. Class A Knob

Class A Knob Senior Stratmaster

Turdburst?

vid1900 and Dick Blackmore like this.
  17. Strattygoat

Strattygoat New Member!

I have a 2013 Strat Deluxe, and recently upgraded the stock N3 noiseless to the N4's fitted to the Elite series. There was a notable difference in terms of the tone (quack/responsiveness) being more like standard Strat pickups. But they still sound more 'compressed' than the alnicos in my 1985 MIJ Strat, which is far Strattier! Not worse. Just different. Fuller, warmer, slightly hotter.

These new generation Ultra-noiseless certainly sound the strattiest yet (listening to the Andertons demo). But I think I'd rather have the 10 truly different tones with the S1 switch on my Deluxe than effectively just simply adding the neck pickup in 3 of the positions (as I understand is the case with the Ultra).

The range of tones available with the S1 switch are all usable to my ears (unlike pre 2013 Deluxe models with different S1 switch functions).

Point is (if there is one) is that the reason I have three Strats is that they all sound different. I don't want my Deluxe to sound like the others! I don't suffer from excessive single coil noise (even stacking a couple of overdrive pedals) but enjoy the difference in tone.

And the 9.5-12 compound radius fingerboard on the Deluxe is great... the new 10-15 will feel too flat to me (I'm not getting on with my Gibson)

...phew, think I just talked myself out of getting another Strat... but that texas-tea coloured tele is another matter... :whistling:

18. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Senior Stratmaster

Metallic Turdburst is starting to grow on me. That's the power of YouTube also the Mystic Brown Telecaster/HSS Stratocaster and the Natural Stratocaster look incredible. Still... THAT'S A LOT OF ****ING BROWNS FENDER!

They should have put me in charge there would have been Purple Burst, Metallic Purple, Purple Haze, Deep Purple...Barney Signature...\m/:mad:\m/

[​IMG]

valvestate likes this.
  19. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Senior Stratmaster

The product manager who decided blue should only be paired with maple needs to be punished.

Belexes likes this.
  20. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

So Sienna Sunburst is now Plasma Burst. Oh boy!