Join Strat-Talk Today

The Ultra is Here!!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by aviamsi, Nov 5, 2019.

1. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

The Elites were almost that contoured; the Ultras have the extra "scooping out" in the lower horn like a Surh or a Charvel. The Silver Sky is a bit different; the neck heel was used earlier this decade on PRS's NF3, DC3, and the Brent Mason signature. All of them had 25 1/4" scale and a body shape that was a bit less "Strat" and more "PRS" than the Silver Sky's shape.

2. Tboneous

Tboneous New Member!

I played an Ultra! My suggestion is to swoop up the Elite Strats that are being blown out at a major discount to make room for the Ultra on the showroom floor.

IMO the Ultra is an Ultra load of overpriced meh! I just got my 3rd Select series Strat. These guitars rival Suhr and Tom Anderson in playability. By far the best playing guitars Fender has made in a long time. The wood selection is better than the Ultra, the pups are better than the Ultra, the playability is better than the Ultra and they are WAY cheaper than the Ultra. If you can find a Select series Strat, I highly recommend you get it!

It’s not enough to add some fancy new contour cuts. If Fender is going to announce something new and exciting, it needs to be new and exciting!

The Ultra is a real disappointment!

Niall and coolidge like this.
  3. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dang...

Cant argue with the Fender Select....

Those guitars are fantastic and worth every penny.

4. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Strat-O-Master

The ultra is here...yes..the Ultra instinct to avoid overpriced logos.....;).

5. John C

Fender definitely over-marketed/over-hyped the Ultras. They're nice, but just an evolution from the Elites, not "Above. Beyond. Ultra" (as luck would have it there is a Fender ad with that tag line right below the the box where you write your post at this moment).

Selects were nice, I had a Tele from the first run but I eventually found it somewhat lacking what I wanted in a Tele - it came off as being somewhat of a Tele-Rickenbacker mix due to the pickups and probably also due to the chambering they were using on that model.

6. Sybo

Sybo Strat-Talk Member

I have one in Cobra Blue, really nice, I’m not sure I would pay full pop for one, luckily I didn’t have to. I will keep it!

https://imgur.com/a/Tq3n484

KCModernVIntage likes this.
  7. KCModernVIntage

KCModernVIntage New Member!

Thanks for the feedback, I used it for practice this week and have 3 shows this month that I plan to use it for. I have very similar observations to your buddy, the neck is a super great fit for me and I do think the HSS provides some great diversity/flexibility with the HB. I have been taking my LP to my last few shows and plan to leave it home for a show I have today and take the Ultra with my Variax and possibly one more guitar. The pickups are a bit fuller sounding and I am enjoying the bottom end punch, interestingly enough, they sound very somewhat similar to my 93 strat. The Vintage mods in the American Pro where a much larger difference when compared to my 93 strat in terms of db output... I am finding that I am adding a little bit more treble with the pickups to bring out the "straty" type of sound. This guitar just seems to be a very playable and flexible guitar for the working musician or home enthusiast that is looking for an extremely versatile and playable guitar.Oh.. and I should note, the Arctic Pearl finish is beautiful and metallic flake looks really great under various lighting conditions. I will loop back with feedback.

Trnrbrnt likes this.
  8. Tboneous

Tboneous New Member!

Funny you should mention the Select Tele. I didn’t like the arched top chambered Select Tele either! It really didn’t translate well at all! I have yet to play the non arched top Select Tele. Though I believe that the non arched top Select Tele is also chambered.
    The chambered Jazzmaster is a dream and the strats are simply amazingly made guitars! The best I’ve ever played/owned by Fender.

Here they are in all of their glory!

Attached Files:

9. John C

The Select Tele I had was the flat-top version, and it was chambered. Fender did both versions for the first year of the Selects, and I think they used the same pickups on both versions. I think it was the voicing of the pickups - milder & chimier than a standard Tele pickups.

10. rlongnt

rlongnt Strat-Talker

I finally got to play one today. I absolutely LOVE it. There is nothing other than maybe the pickguard I'd change. Fender does a terrible job of showing how cool this paint color is. I'm not sure how to describe the paint but it has the same zing my 2014 Mystic Red American Standard has. A tricoat or something?

An Arctic Pearl Ultra will be my next guitar. Right after I pay for Christmas lol

upload_2019-12-16_16-5-35.png

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  11. valvestate

valvestate Strat-Talker

One of the best and detailed review I've ever read with American Pro and Ultra.

This is very helpful! Thanks a lot!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.