Join Strat-Talk Today

The Underestimation of Physical Graffiti

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by 33db, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Strat-Talker

In My Time of Dying and The Rover.

Yes, this is the best LZ album.

WhiteWabbit and mudshark60 like this.
  2. Antstrat

Antstrat Senior Stratmaster

Regardless it turned out to be a good thread :thumb:

Stonetone and Mansonienne like this.
  3. mudshark60

mudshark60 Strat-Talk Member

Custard Pie followed by The Rover.

4. JimiisGod

JimiisGod Strat-Talker

good doc on amazon

5. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

It's funny, I usually don't associate LZ songs with specific albums. To me, it's a big mix of songs, some of which I like very much, many of which I don't. Like, I don't know what album The Song Remains The Same is on, I just know I like it. Actually I associate it with the movie. Same with like Immigrant Song, couldn't tell you what album it's on, just like it.

Except for the Stairway album, I had that. Pretty good stuff.

I think I absorbed them more as ambient background music.

6. Stonetone

Stonetone Strat-Talker

We should all Remember that "Best" is a Matter Of taste and is Subjective, best to someone means its what they Prefer its something Personal its something that Speaks to them, makes them Move and groove or Brings back some form of Memory and holds a special place for them so really there is No best its all a matter of taste, some may prefer the acoustic work on LZ III some prefer the raw sound and drive of LZ I other may Prefer ITTOD or any other Wonderful Work that LZ has Done so...... :)

650Thunderbird likes this.
  7. Stonetone

Stonetone Strat-Talker

Man what Drumming @ 2:33 and On !!!!

8. Morf2540

Morf2540 Strat-O-Master

It's because the first 5 albums hog the spotlight. Those have the radio hits. Physical Graffiti is so much more dense. So much more, period. It's hard to digest it all. Kashmir is a radio song, true. But casual listeners don;t know Trampled Underfoot, etc. Maybe if it had been a single album. Double LPs are tough to take in. You could say some of the same things about the White Album, I suppose. Physical Graffiti is just a colossal achievement. And let's talk about that guitar tone. So huge.

9. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Weird thing about double albums. I typically loathe live albums compared to good studio work. But of all my double albums, the two that got the most spin time were Frampton Comes Alive and Lynyrd's One More From the Road

10. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Exactly my thoughts. During my HS years in the early 80's, everybody had LZ I, II, and IV and stuff from those albums was all over the radio. I bought PG from a friend who didn't like the album and I was blown away by it. There were so many great songs that nobody talked about or that I had heard before. I had a similar experience with Houses of the Holy, but I discovered that in 9th grade. It wasn't until 11th grade that I discovered Physical Graffiti.

I had heard Trampled Underfoot on the radio but had no idea what the name of the song was (nowhere in the song do they say "Trampled Underfoot"), so it was a pleasant surprise to hear that this song was on the album also!

I've read (forget where) that some consider PG to be bloated by extras and outtakes. That's the only bad rap I've heard this album get.

Trampled Underfoot was on a mix tape I had made of songs I liked off the radio. I can still hear in my head that "Flirtin With Disaster" came after "Trampled Underfoot". LOL.

11. Morf2540

Morf2540 Strat-O-Master

Most double albums are bloated, it's true. I mean, the Beatles basically wasted the whole 4th side of the White Album. Imagine if that was a single disc? It would be the greatest album in history. The only double album I am aware of that does't need to be pared down is Exile on Main Street, which actually is the greatest album in history.

12. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Senior Stratmaster

Cant pick a favourite , its all great not a massive fan of Kashmir it has to be said . But after 1 and 2 its my favourite zeppelin album.

13. WhiteWabbit

WhiteWabbit Senior Stratmaster

I have to correct the OP and say it was released in 75 not 74. Definitely my favourite Zeppelin album and it’s easy to see why, the more Zep the better! Ten Years Gone is always the first song to pop in my head when someone says favourite song of all time. That guitar solo is just amazing. This albums is also not overplayed on the radio, except Kashmir. Ten Years Gone, The Rover, Down By The Seaside, Night Flight, IN THE LIGHT, and The Wanton Song. 1969 Zeppelin is my favourite Zeppelin, young and hungry and Zeppelin 2 would be the most influential on me as a guitar player but Physical has the best songs.

14. WhiteWabbit

WhiteWabbit Senior Stratmaster

London Calling is a classic double album.

Morf2540 likes this.
  15. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

I see your point. In some cases it's a matter of overindulgence, like Yes' "Tales from Topographic Oceans" (I am a fan of the album though).

The Who's "Tommy" I think is a perfect double album. "Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" and "The Wall" are damn near perfect too. Yeah, I have always been a fan of concept albums.

rocknrollrich likes this.
  16. Bighump

Bighump Strat-Talker

One of my favorite Zepplin Tunes man

Stonetone and AncientAx like this.
  17. CigBurn

CigBurn Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Thats it, all you people giving Kashmir the stink-eye are getting cut right out of my will! :D

18. Bighump

Bighump Strat-Talker

Physical Grafitti has turned into my favorite LZ album followed closely by LZ3. When I was younger I always liked it but wasnt fully enamored by it as I am now that I am older and playing guitar again. PG is actually one of the best albums to come out of the 70's and I find is the pinnacle of their catalog. My dad bought me the cassette when i was 12 years old and obsessed with Led Zepplin. I used to absolutely hate Kashmir back then because they played it out on the radio so much and it just got old to me.
    A couple of months ago i was sitting at my computer at night doing some work and I was listening to Kashmir through some good quality headphones and I started to notice some of the nuances in Pages guitar tracking and it suddenly blew me away. Gong sounds and blares sounded like crazy Fuzz blooming underneath the main tracks I was stunned by how amazing it mixed and sounded. Opened me again to the track and how well done it is.

My favorite tracks on PG are 10 years Gone/ In The Light/ In my Time of Dying/ Custard Pie/ and Down By the Seaside. When I listen to this album it takes me back to my childhood and I fondly remember walking around the neighborhood with my walkman cassette player jamming out. Good memories.

Stonetone likes this.
  19. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

Here's the thing about LZ and why it appeals to me:

Every member of that band had the intangibles, the ability to convey their emotions through the music.

That is a common thread through all of my favorite musicians. They don't just play notes. You can actually hear their attitude in their playing.

Led zep has that quality. You almost get a window into the soul of the performer, though their performance.

That alone is worth the price of admission, to me.

20. Morf2540

Morf2540 Strat-O-Master

That drum roll crescendo near the end gives me chills every time I hear it, even to this day.

CB91710 and CigBurn like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.