The Who Isle of Wight Blu Ray

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Stratoman10, May 4, 2021 at 7:17 PM.

1. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

I was pretty amazed at how well they could bring out both sound and video from 1970. They were definitely a force to see live. I'm just glad those weren't my ears in front of all those Hiatt cabs coupled with Keith Moon too.

2. simoncroft

simoncroft Oh, wait. Why did I come in here? Silver Member

Although I really love The Who, their back catalogue has been somewhat sanitised. They were one of the best bands in the world, and unique musicians, but I'm seeing live footage on YT where Townsend's SG Special can magically sound like an electro-acoustic. I'm not trying to take anything away from one of my all-time favourite bands; I just think the original performances were so special, thy don't need to be enhanced.

As for standing in front of Hiwatt cabs, I'm awash with tinnitus every day and the devastating output of my Hiwatt 100 head back in the 1970s and 80s is undoubtedly one of the major suspects... that and a pneumatic hammer. :(

StratoMutt, circles and fretlessart like this.
  3. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

On this disc he's standing in front of four of them

Im thinking that the Isle of Wight double CD that I've had for ages is from the same show. I saw them at big stadium back in the mid 80s with Kenny Jones on drums and a good sized backing band as well. Pretty great show, then a few years later at a local amphitheater. Scaled back quite a bit but a great show nontheless

simoncroft likes this.
  4. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

That was the '83 Farewell Tour. I saw that show at the Oakland Colliseum. Still have the t-shirt somewhere.

simoncroft likes this.