Join Strat-Talk Today

The Woodshed

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by rocks, Jan 11, 2009.

1. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

Its time to hit the woodshed. We got plenty of cold weather and snow and it seems like the perfect time to really polish some skills. I'm assuming there are a few more people out here doing the same thing. I'm thinking we can use this thread to discuss what we are working on so we can motivate each other. The way I see it is this is the perfect time of the year to devote a few hours a day to improve our technique. My personal goal is to spend a minimum of 3 hours a day at solid practice. I need to work on my rhythm playing and I expect to see some serious improvement within a month. I'm planning on getting myself ready to start hitting some jam nights at a couple local clubs by spring. So I plan on really hitting the strings hard to get my chops down over the next few months. Who else is planning on taking advantage of the winter months and hitting the woodshed?

2. guitaradelic

guitaradelic Strat-Talk Member

My goal this year is to become a better reader. I am working through the book they use at Berklee, A Modern Method for Guitar. I will be happy if I can devote 45 minutes a day to it.

3. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

I played bass most of my life which is why I want to really work hard on rhythm. I need to learn more chords and work on my phrasing. My fingers are fairly quick for lead work, but I need to get some good rock and blues rhythm skills before I can get much further with my lead work.

4. patl

patl Strat-O-Master

I'm working on blues solos and solid rhythm work.

5. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

There is one solo I'm working on too, the main solo in a live version of "beautifully broken" by Gov't mule. It's about a three minute solo and its loaded with great riffs.

6. Dirt Rich

Dirt Rich Banned

Today I switched on and off between guitar and bass, basically the entire day. Even when I was sitting on the couch I was mindlessly playing runs while I was watching tv, disconnecting my mind from it and building my dexterity. Today was definitely blues day.

7. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Strat-Talker

I've been slacking as of late. No more of the mindless noodling for relaxation it is time to get after it. My guitar playing as of late is more like an after dinner glass of wine. Time to move forward instead of settling for just a comfortable place.

8. aznrambo481

aznrambo481 Strat-O-Master

More bass. More singing. Less sucking :D

9. Orbit

Orbit Senior Stratmaster

I'm experimenting with tone. My amp is hand-wired tube, and it has so many different sounds with just a slight tweak of a single control, it's sometimes hard to locate the killer settings.
    and
    since using the Jamman, I'm looking into how minimalistic (hence the pedals for sale) I can be and get the message across, if that makes sense.
    Instant playback at the tap of a toe is such a great self-teaching tool I find.

10. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

Last night I worked on some familiar songs from my past. I wanted to work on my rhythm playing but figured it would be easiest to start with songs I already knew on bass. I was also in the mood to play some heavier music so I did some black sabbath. It was great because since I already knew the bass lines I could easily pick apart the rhythm. It sure does make it easier when you can learn new songs quickly and it keeps the motivation level high when you can learn songs fast.

11. Jackie Treehorn

Tonight it is playing MAJ7 chord inversions. Playing Fmaj7 with the root, 3rd, 5th, and 7th ascending on the sixth string. Then moving in the cycle of fifths Cmaj7 with the 3rd, root, 7th, and 5th descending. Rinse and repeat moving thru the cycle of fifths.

Then playing a simple Gmaj7 to Cmaj7 vamp using these chord inversions and have fun.

Back to the shed.

12. dennyn23

dennyn23 Strat-Talker

My goal/resolution for the new year, if you will, is to play more at school. Whenever I'm on campus it seems that I just don't practice as much. When I'm off, however, I play more than 2 hours a day. I want to get some consistency in this area, as well as improve the blues rhythm skills.

13. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

Today I loaded up a bunch of old blues mp3's into winamp and set it to play them back at random. Then I sat there and did my best to play along with whatever song winamp threw at me next. I did that for about two hours and picked up a lot of new riffs and chord changes. After that I went to a set group of songs that I've been working on but have not perfected yet and worked on them, playing them each through three times. I'm going to spend about another half hour before bed working on bends and vibrato.

14. Carlsoti

Carlsoti Senior Stratmaster

I find that doing something similar to what rocks does, but playing a radio station I'm unfimiliar with, does great things for improving your improv skills. It really helps develop your ear, too.

15. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

I think the randomness really helps get your brain going in a different way. Anyone can play the same songs over and over again and sure they'll get better, but mostly only better on those songs. Another thing I find doing it this way is many times a riff will hit you from another song that you've heard many times but never played, next thing you know you're playing it and figuring out the cord changes with ease.

16. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

Last night I did a little over 4 hours of practice, didn't get to sell until after 3:00am. I'm really starting to see some major improvements coming fast and it's really helping me with my attitude and making me want to practice even more.

17. ArlenBucy

ArlenBucy Senior Stratmaster

I am working hard on this one too.

18. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

I got slowed down a bit thanks to cramping in my left hand. Hopefully a few muscle relaxers will fix it and I can get back to practicing tonight.

19. Jackie Treehorn

Today some practice with scales moving in intervals of thirds. Breaks up the old run up and down the scale routine. Good for the ear and more like the intervals a sax player might use.

20. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

Thankfully the hand cramps are gone for now so I'm back in the shed. I've been working on scales and patterns that I don't use much because I never got them to the point of being fluid. I'm also seriously considering moving to a heaver gauge of strings, the 10's just feel too flimsy to me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.