*** ****** They Don't Work (PU Issues)

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Antstrat, Apr 27, 2021.

1. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

@Antstrat

Some continuity checking with a multimeter in the cavity is worth trying. In a nutshell, check positive is not shorting out with a ground. Hard to describe.

@CB91710 types this out better than I do. Along with most everything else. :p

2. Exhead

Exhead Senior Stratmaster

Some of you guys are very helpful. What a treasure trove of guitar experience and unbridled sarcasm in one place.

StratoMutt likes this.
  3. StratoMutt

I have one for that!

SarcasmL.gif

CB91710 likes this.
  4. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

@StratoMutt @CB91710

OK, here's where I'm at.

Don't know what I did but the bridge p/u works just fine with the toggle in the bridge position AND in the middle but if I tap on the neck p/u with the toggle in the middle no sound.

To make sure it's not the neck p/u I wired it to the bridge pot and the neck does indeed work. So at least I know it's not a bad p/u.

I'm thinking it's either the toggle switch and/or the neck volume pot with the 5 pounds of solder on it.

I called the local tech (no, not GC) and they quoted me $150 to rewire with current pots, $250 for all new pots. ACK! Btw the tech said in theory it should work fine because the humbuckers I replaced were the braided line just like the Phat Cats and he thinks there;s just a short somewhere.

Before I go that route should I just replace the pot and switch myself?

Again thanks all for your time and patience!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    StratoMutt likes this.
  5. StratoMutt

The pot I'd think. If the switch worked before the pup install it should now. Think about rewiring yourself. I'm pretty sure you can do a better job than Gibson did. Their wire routing was poor. You learned a few lessons and built upon your skill.

Not sure of your budget, but consider upgrading to better quality pots all around. You'll have a PM shortly ...

Think nothing of it! :)

elduderinoTF likes this.
  6. Antstrat

I know zip about what type of pot to order, are the pots for SG's different than Les Pauls? I know it's 500K but length, type if shaft, I'm lost.

7. StratoMutt

You have a PM. The source will know all. ;)

Antstrat likes this.
  8. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

Behold!
    IMG_20210428_161302183_kindlephoto-59220604.jpg

For an archtop.

okay.

StratoMutt likes this.
  9. StratoMutt

I like it!

I do not think the hammered bit is needed, just wire. Being able to improvise and think differently is a fine wiring attribute.

Don't use lead free solder. 60/40 or 63/37, electronic rosin core. Kester 44 is the best.

10. Antigua

Antigua Senior Stratmaster

If you hookup the neck pickup to the bridge pickups's position on the toggle, then it must be the switch, it's probably dirty and not making electrical contact on the neck side. That happens to me all the time.

If the neck pickup still doesn't work, that suggests it's the neck's volume pot. You could rule that out by connecting the pickup directly to the output side of the pot, so that they wiper and resistive strip are bypassed. If bypassing the pot fixes it, it's a bad pot.

The prices you were given are overkill, a tech should be able to find the issue in under a minute, if they're good at what they do, and not have to completely rewire it.

11. Antstrat

I didn't change any wires connected to the toggle, I just connected the pickup wire to the bride tone pot and the neck worked. Will give connecting the pickup directly to the output side of the pot a try.

UPDATE..........

Wasn't sure what the output side was but I put the end of the p/u wire on the middle lug and held down with my finger the braided part on the pot and the neck pickup worked! Is that what you meant by output side?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  12. StratAlchemist

StratAlchemist Strat-O-Master

StratoMutt and Antstrat like this.
  13. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

okay.
    Probably not, however I thought to increase the surface area to spread the physical stress over a greater portion of both the lug and the pot case.

StratoMutt likes this.
  14. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

My solution has always been to let someone who knows what they're doing handle this stuff for me. I don't have the touch for this stuff and have no problem admitting it

StratoMutt likes this.
  15. StratoMutt

I'd think hammering would weaken copper. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

16. Antigua

Antigua Senior Stratmaster

Yeah, sounds like the neck vol pot got cooked too long.

Antstrat likes this.
  17. StratoMutt

A lot to be said for that with many. OTOH...

It is fun and rewarding. I started soldering at 12 or 13.

I built a kit amp in 2019. THAT was really fun! Just at the outer edge of what I thought my ability was. Learned an awful lot.

18. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

@Antstrat ...
    Question, and...I am sorry I didn't think to mention this sooner...
    Have you tried turning the volume down to see what hapoens?

I had an issue with something similar, an archtop. For some reason, despite wiring per Gibson's and everyone else's diagrams, the pots worked backwards. Volume and tone both, ass backwards. Turning clockwise decreased instead of increased.

For the Gibson (linked*) ...Output from the pickup to lug#3 of the volume pot instead of lug #1. Lug #1 to ground.

Output to the switch is the same, as is output from the volume pot to the tone pot.

I don't know why this happened.

*Linked...the phenom where, when both pickups are in use, turning either volume down affects both.

If you are interested in pursuing an unlinked or "independent" control, it can be done, but I found I didn't care for the tone it generated for my archtop.

StratoMutt and Antstrat like this.
  19. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

perhaps, but it provides a wider surface to secure to the case. Given the contortions while feeding the leads through an archtop body, the increasing the contact area by ~3x over the diameter of the wire reduces the possibility the lug breaking free.

The malleability of copper being what it is, weakening would require substantially more thinning than being that achieved by a 3x increase in its surface.

StratoMutt likes this.
  20. Antstrat

Until I get a new pot at least I had a few minutes of play time! The Phat Cats sound pretty good :thumb:

rolandson and StratoMutt like this.