Join Strat-Talk Today

They're baaack - limited run reissue of the HM Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by John C, Jan 12, 2020 at 1:00 PM.

1. Ruscio

Ruscio Strat-O-Master

Agreed.

If they're going to go 1/2 way to a nice Ibanez, Jackson, or Charvel, they should either be charging less or offering something comparable. No wonder they're making so few of these, I doubt they could sell many.

mshivy likes this.
  2. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Senior Stratmaster

I would never buy one but I think they are cool.I remember seeing them in magazine ads and thought they were nice.

Stratwrangler likes this.
  3. Stratoholic

Stratoholic Senior Stratmaster

First the Lead III reissue, and now this? What's next the '83 2 knob strat reissue?

usul1978, Lewbypls and Stratwrangler like this.
  4. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

I dig the design! Will it be an american model?

5. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

I support HSS, but not that.

Erik_C and Stratwrangler like this.
  6. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

No, it's MIJ like the originals were.

Fender never has come clean about the history of the originals - their first year of production they are clearly marked "Made in Japan" on the neck (although the neck plate said "Fender U.S.A.") and were made by FujiGen for Fender. After the first year the "Made in Japan" was removed from the neck but the body and neck were still stamped with FujiGen codes and the neck still used Gotoh tuners - plus they were listed as "U.S. HM Strat" on the price list. But the assumption is these were assembled in the USA from finished bodies and necks that were shipped over from Japan. They had a high USA content with the Kahler Spyder tremolo, DiMarzio bridge pickup and American Standard single coils (and the HS model had a Lace Sensor neck pickup) so I suppose Fender thought it would be okay under the late 1980s product labeling laws to drop the "Made in Japan" as long as the bulk of the assembly was done with USA labor. But they also didn't put a "Made in USA" decal on them either; just that "Fender U.S.A." neck plate which could also be found on some 100% MIJ Fenders in that era.

Note that Kramer was doing the same thing at that time - assembling in the USA from MIJ (from ESP) or Canadian (from La-Si-Do) bodies and neck and using a neck plate that said "Kramer Neptune NJ".

albala and diogoguitar like this.
  7. Otisblove

Otisblove Senior Stratmaster

The line to buy the HM Strat.

B66CE5F7-3A4D-4EC4-9C22-0A13DFC6D62A.jpeg

RobZ69, Erik_C, Believer7713 and 3 others like this.
  8. luthier1664

luthier1664 New Member!

That's my "local music shop" that is responsible for the leak.. I can actually picture the guy doing that because he just couldn't wait to dust off the old tiger striped spandex leotard once more.

We love you dark continent, goodnight.

9. mshivy

mshivy Most Honored Senior Member

Just wait 2 years Sam and they’ll probably be blowing ‘em out at a steep discount.
    I wonder if young kids will buy them or just us middle-aged Metal Maniacs-

sam_in_cali likes this.
  10. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

11. diogoguitar

Who said there weren't MIJ Charvels anymore? :D

12. CapCrunch

CapCrunch New Member!

Im glad they are back! I might get one. Almost everybody that had one back in the day remembers them fondly and regret selling them. Seems like a good move by Fender. Numbers will tell.

Believer7713 likes this.
  13. Keithwhite

Keithwhite New Member!

These guitars are amazing. I was working at a music store when they originally came out and I purchased the Raspberry (hot pink) from the 1st batch that arrived. I then purchased a second in light blue. I still have both today but the raspberry is signed by Jeff Cook from Alabama so its retired. The original spider tremolo is so amazing. Once new strings settle. You literally only have to tune the guitars once a month. Even with heavy dive bombing. The sustain is amazing even with the tremolo. And these guitars play themselves. The flat radius neck and 25.1 scale is a lead players dream come true. No other guitar has this feel
    As soon as I saw this thread and saw these in limited edition yellow I immediately reserved one thanks to a buddy of mine at the music store. He was the one that initially told me about these new reissues. I'm supposed to receive it in mid Feb. Will post pics of all 3 when it arrives

I have 2 1988 fender hm strats Gibson les paul custom. Fender stratocaster and line 6 James Tyler variax jtv89f and the fender hm strats are by far the best playing and sounding guitars I own

Williamwolka and duzie like this.
  14. johnsmith101

johnsmith101 New Member!

I dig the design! Will it be an american model?

15. RetVet2018

RetVet2018 Strat-Talk Member

My understanding is that they’ll be made in Japan.

diogoguitar likes this.
  16. diogoguitar

At this $1200 MSRP/MAP, it's hard to compete with the Korean and Mexican superstrats.
    And they offer better pickups...
    But this one has more attention to detail esp. on fretwork- which is very important to me

IDK, my only thing is that this bridge isn't an original floyd and these pickups could be generic... if they had chosen flagship components, I can't see why this guitar wouldn't sell for $1500-1800+

17. CapCrunch

CapCrunch New Member!

They definitely priced them to be accessible. If you have the money to buy a "premium" equipped guitar, I guess you can buy this and upgrade it. I want one, and mostly for the 25.1 scale, but not exclusively. I like the look and the nostalgia factor does play a role. This model was a great guitar that never got its due props in the era that it was supposed to compete in. It's like the dark horse, the underdog of shreddy superstrats.

18. Keithwhite

Keithwhite New Member!

CapCrunch likes this.
  19. Keithwhite

Keithwhite New Member!

But before you mock it you should try it

CapCrunch likes this.
  20. Keithwhite

Keithwhite New Member!

When the originals came out there was both american and japanese models. When I talked to the fender sales rep he said the only difference between the american and japanese models was the finish. Everything else parts and wood was 100% the same

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.