They're baaack - limited run reissue of the HM Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by John C, Jan 12, 2020.

1. CapCrunch

CapCrunch Strat-Talk Member

See... and I just wondering when we will see some "official" release or announcement and this pic shows up. I like it!

Numbercruncher likes this.
  2. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

I view these as nostalgia for the specific model - it was kind of unique with the 25.1" scale (and I remember the original necks being kind of wide - at least 1 11/16 but maybe that was the flat 17" radius making it "feel" wider). While there hasn't been an official release about them yet I've seen both 300 per color and 150 per color thrown around as the count for them - so no more than 1,200 anyway - and maybe it is going to be 150 for the USA and 150 for the rest of the world.

The NAMM show display floor opens at 10am Pacific time (they have some events starting at 8am as well) so I imagine we'll start seeing more details and official releases soon.

3. Williamwolka

Williamwolka Strat-Talker

Was the bridge spacing on the original spyder trem 2 1/8?

4. Numbercruncher

Numbercruncher Senior Stratmaster

I have been out of the loop the last two weeks but don't see these on Fenders site. Has anything official from Fender been announced?

NC

5. John C

Numbercruncher likes this.
  6. CapCrunch

I had no idea Graph tech made saddles for the Floyd. I am tempted to just get these for the Floyd Special and a brass block instead of replacing the whole thing with a Floyd original. How do you like the graph tech saddles sound wise? Any different than the originals?

7. Ruscio

Ruscio Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sounds like a good plan to me. I haven’t noticed any difference in the sound, but I also haven’t done a careful A/B test.

8. CapCrunch

I have a question: Is the body on the HM slightly smaller than a regular Stratocaster? I think I read that somewhere when they came out originally but, can't see that mentioned in anywhere.

Other than that, just here, sitting by the door waiting for the guitar to arrive... sometime in April.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  9. Lewbypls

Lewbypls Strat-Talker

No clue but I read that the scale length is slighty shorter than a normal strat

10. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunny Man Thing Strat-Talk Supporter

They were originally 25.1 inch scale. I think these new ones are too.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Andrew Wasson and Lewbypls like this.
  11. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

The new ones are too. I’ve been looking at them online and trying to convince myself that I don’t need one. Those pickups from Bootstrap for my Squier Series (modular pickguard system) better arrive soon or I’ll have no choice.

Lewbypls and Believer7713 like this.
  12. John C

Yes, the body is a little smaller, kind of similar to a Jackson/Charvel "Dinky" body but maybe not quite that small.

13. CapCrunch

You know what?! I'm just gonna keep this thread alive until my reissue HM Strat arrives.

Anyone else order one?

I got me an Ice Blue one. Of course, I am gonna get a DiMarzio ClipLock strap for it. I there anything that matches better with an 80's shred guitar?! Which color... pink will go well but, open to purple and whatever... I'll just get a few and switch them as I please. Great to have some disposable income, unlike when I was a teen! This will be my first brand new shred guitar although, I am an intermediate player at best.

Will probably upgrade the Floyd to an original one. Pickups can wait.

I kinda like the anticipation. Its like having a baby where I get to prep... ok, bad analogy but you guys get it.

Due date is April... and that's a maybe.

Thanks for listening!

Andrew Wasson and Believer7713 like this.
  14. _Bear

_Bear New Member!

I wanted to jump on this thread before anyone else wasted their money.

This guitar IS NOT a faithful recreation of the original. If I had to compare it to something, I would say it is more closely related to a Jackson JS22 than the HM Strat.

The neck is pretty terrible. I didn't take a micrometer to the neck but I can tell something isn't right. I'm guessing the string spacing is wrong, if the neck width isn't smaller.

The wood very soft. I have no doubt that it's maple BUT, it's unfinished (like a JS22) and it's too soft. Something isn't right. It doesn't even come close to the quality of the original.

The FR special trem is pretty chintzy. I know other people have said they like them and that's fine.. however, it isn't a fair replacement of the original Schaller.

The pickups, while not real Dimarzio, seem OK but just OK. They're hot.

The tone knob does not have the notch in the middle of the range like the original.

The new HM Strat is a $300 knock-off of a $1200 guitar.

Source: I compared a dual humbucker original, side by side with the new HSS Strat. I'll try to make a video before I ship the new HM Strat back to AMS.

Run away from this guitar! Your money is better used on an original if an HM Strat is your only desire.

15. John C

That's a shame. I thought maybe the neck was going to be narrower - they list these reissues as being 1.66 and I thought the originals were at least 1.6875", maybe even 1.70".

The originals had the TBX tone control (with that notch/detent in the middle); sounds like these just have a standard tone pot from your review.

16. johnsmith101

johnsmith101 New Member!

RetVet2018 likes this.
  17. RetVet2018

RetVet2018 Strat-Talk Member

18. Antonio77

Antonio77 Strat-Talk Member