Things that bother us about Strats....

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Guitarmageddon, Jul 9, 2021.

1. gazzie

gazzie Strat-Talk Member

Just putting a humbucker on a Strat is terrible to me. Doesn't matter what the scratchplate looks like!

Matt1979, Roca81 and jtoomuch like this.
  2. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Strat-O-Master

Bridge pup.

I HATE that tone! Especially when the neck pup is so damn good!!!!!

BuddyHollywood and Roca81 like this.
  3. The Tortoise

The Tortoise Strat-Talk Member

Single-coil sized humbuckers have existed for a long time. Are people still hacking up their strat bodies and putting on generic custom pickguards in order to put in full-sized buckers? What is this, 1978?

Matt1979 and The_Whale like this.
  4. Joe R

Joe R Strat-Talk Member

Very good observation. Soooooo many objections, like the lead entry in this thread, are for cosmetic issues. Good grief, we should all give that a rest. There is no good or bad about pickup cutouts, pickguard colors, headstock size, etc. etc. You either love or hate a "relic." I would like to hear REAL objections as to the sound or playability of a Strat. For me, I have trouble with the pickup layout. The middle pickup gets in the way of my finger picking (I use a plastic thumb pick and brass National finger picks) For that reason I have an HH setup using Duncan Phat Cat P90s. I absolutely love that sound on a Strat (I know some of you are absolutely gonna hate it.) That's why they make cars in different colors. There is really so little NOT to like about a Strat. I've got guitars with six different tremolo systems (2 different Bigsbys, 2 different Les Trems, a Hagstrom Tremar Viking, and a Strat) The Strat wins hands down. It has my favorite neck, tuners, and the ergonomics feel like the guitar is a part of me, by far the most comfortable instrument I own. Sure, there are minor peeves. I wired the bridge pickup on one Strat to the tone pot, don't know why Fender didn't do that. In my opinion, the Stratocaster is the most successful electric guitar EVER made.

BuddyHollywood, Roca81 and Cyberi4n like this.
  5. gazzie

gazzie Strat-Talk Member

Totally agree! i have 14 Strats and the only one with a bridge pickup I like is a Jimmie Vaughan signature model. That has great pickups (Tex Mex), very balanced, and the bridge is closer to a 50s style Tele so has more bite and fatness to it. They are my favourite Strat pickups by far and I have all sorts in my Strats including Custom Shop. Having said that when I gig I just play the middle pickup on Strats, I used to gig with them all the time for about 10 years, and only ever used the middle pickup.

6. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

The tone is different. One can't truly replicate the tone of the other. It's physics.

7. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

That's my favorite Strat bridge pickup. It's wound to have a bit more midrange and to reduce that Strat snap on the top end, so for me it's usable for a lot of styles. With the JLV Strat wired with the tone control on the bridge pickup, I can dial the tone back a bit and get a punchy tone from it.

BuddyHollywood and gazzie like this.
  8. Ace38

Ace38 Senior Stratmaster

Not to mention these days most, if not all, non reissue style Strats are HSH routed. No one needs to "hack" up anything. Welcome to 2021.

archetype likes this.
  9. Hanson

Hanson Senior Stratmaster

I was wondering how long it would take for Gibson to get dragged into a Stratocaster issues/ dislikes thred. :)

StratoMutt likes this.
  10. gmann

gmann Strat-Talk Member

Biggest complaint? Not enough Hardtails!

11. Hanson

Hanson Senior Stratmaster

I love my Strats, especially my new EJ. However, an ES 335 would be my deserted island choice if I could only have one.

Andrew Wasson and BuddyHollywood like this.
  12. Roca81

Roca81 Strat-Talker

My only complaint is the neck heel. They could do something better like schecter. Subtle but looks and feels good. 20210710_133547.jpg 20210710_133617.jpg

Andrew Wasson and BuddyHollywood like this.
  13. MoHump

MoHump Strat-Talk Member

I had a hard time liking strats, at first. My fingers would scrape across the screw heads and all sorts of things that I wasn't used to after playing a tele for 20 years. Now? I like them both but for different reasons. Strats are more comfortable, then the tele slabs. Otherwise the pickups have different voices, and I never used the second tone pot. And, each guitar, tele or strat, is different from any of the others.

14. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

Too curvy, too sexy, too sleek.... Too plasticy

StratoMutt likes this.
  15. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

Indeed! :thumb:

16. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

Plastic pickguard drives me nuts. There. I said it. Working on a carved 1/8inch.

17. elduderinoTF

elduderinoTF Sweatin' Bullets

I was just joshin' around. I love Strats. That's why I have three.

18. Afishman9

Afishman9 Strat-Talk Member Gold Supporting Member

I’m surprised the guard doesn’t affect the tremolo if it is against the bridge.

19. rmackowsky

rmackowsky Strat-Talker

The thing that bothers me about Stratocasters is that I am not talented enough to play it to its potential.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  20. bmikultyak

bmikultyak Strat-Talk Member

I'm amazed at the number of peole with Strats only because everybody has them or plays them. They're not the only good guitar out there and the new ones aren't as good as the pre-CBS versons (been there done that). I now have a 1995 Ibanez Talman with SD Hot rodded jazz pickups. with five positions, it gets Strat sounds, SG sounds, and many other popular guitars. Didn't cost a fortune has great action and it's a one year model so it's rare. The weakest part other than the player is the amp and speakers used for "real" sound. Remember Danelectro was hardboard and plywood but has a great following with lipstick tubes . . .