Thinking about buying this Tele

Tylerlayne

Strat-O-Master
Jul 18, 2021
St Augustine, Florida
I have been wanting a Telecaster for quite some time. Was looking at this used Player series one at guitar center. They are asking $485. for it and I wanted to get some opinions on it as I know nothing about Tele's. I own 3 Strat's but never owned a Telecaster. I believe its a 2020 model and has Alnico 5 single coil pickups. Is the asking price fair and as far as Tele sound will I be happy with this guitar? 000000118083888-00-720x720.jpg

dreamingstrat

Strat-O-Master
Oct 13, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Yup. Get the pickups low enough.

If you want a vintage experience without forking too much out of pocket,

Just look for a used MIC Squier Classic Vibe teles. Those are fine out of the box without too much tinkering. Since you’re just trying out Teles for now, id advise to get the cheapest and closest to the original recipe (3 barrel bridge, alnico pickups, etc etc)

BuffaloHound

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 25, 2018
S
Yup. Get the pickups low enough.

If you want a vintage experience without forking too much out of pocket,

Just look for a used MIC Squier Classic Vibe teles. Those are fine out of the box without too much tinkering. Since you’re just trying out Teles for now, id advise to get the cheapest and closest to the original recipe (3 barrel bridge, alnico pickups, etc etc)

Normally I’d agree, but $475 sounds like a steal without doing any price research.

hornpiper

Most Honored Senior Member
Apr 23, 2014
Anytown,USA
Looks like it has all the typical Tele appointments. Nice, classic looking, stock Tele, the way I like them. Do the guitar a favor, and don’t whore it up with a dumb looking pick guard. Probably sounds very Telecaster-like. I’d plug it in and play it before buying. Make sure you like the tones, and the feel of the neck, etc..and if you feel like you’re bonding to guitar. Then offer them $75.00 less. Have the salesperson ask the manager if necessary. I never pay asking on used gear, I can always get something off. Old family saying: ”What you don’t earn with your mouth, you pay for with your hands”.

Last edited:

soulman969

Jan 5, 2016
Fort Collins, CO
Is the asking price fair and as far as Tele sound will I be happy with this guitar?
Here's a similar one listed on Reverb for $650. https://reverb.com/item/54100999-fender-player-series-telecaster-polar-white and here's a recent transaction history.

Transaction History​

New
Used
$
DateConditionSold Price
7/1/2022Mint$516.42
6/23/2022Excellent$599
6/23/2022Excellent$600
6/17/2022Poor$444.73
6/16/2022Very Good$550
5/31/2022Excellent$520
5/31/2022Mint$625
5/23/2022Very Good$457.04
5/23/2022Excellent$552.49
5/21/2022Very Good$580

The average selling price w/o shipping or sales tax seems to be around $550 so that may answer your question about value at $485.

As for how it will sound in comparison to a Strat to me a Tele will sound more full when both pickups are played in parallel and if you also wire them in series it will sound almost like you're playing a lower output humbucker. Louder and thicker.

The neck pickup can be very mellow and jazzy sounding and the bridge pickup soloed will give you that legendary Tele twang. I find it far more useful than a soloed Strat bridge pickup. At any rate I think you should give one a try and the one you're looking at is a good basic model. For that price if you find you don't like it you can probably sell it for what you paid for it.

Tylerlayne

Strat-O-Master
Jul 18, 2021
St Augustine, Florida
Well I went ahead and bought it. They would only come down to $450. I bought it online from guitar centers website. The guitar is in Ocala and I am in St Augustine. I have relatives in Ocala and my cousin went to look at it for me. He said it looks in very good condition. Of course anytime I make an online purchase its a holiday weekend so the guitar will not ship until Tuesday. If I get time tomorrow I might take a ride down to Ocala to pick it up. Its only a 2 hour ride there.

soulman969

Jan 5, 2016
Fort Collins, CO
Well I went ahead and bought it. They would only come down to $450. I bought it online from guitar centers website. The guitar is in Ocala and I am in St Augustine. I have relatives in Ocala and my cousin went to look at it for me. He said it looks in very good condition. Of course anytime I make an online purchase its a holiday weekend so the guitar will not ship until Tuesday. If I get time tomorrow I might take a ride down to Ocala to pick it up. Its only a 2 hour ride there.
Haha, spending gas money because GAS is too overwhelming eh?

I think you made a very nice buy. I'm somewhat surprised GC budged at all on the price but if it's in very good condition you bought it for roughly $100 under what they're selling for nationally. No way to lose money doing that.

Congrats from one Tele player to a newbie Tele player. :thumb:

Tylerlayne

Strat-O-Master
Jul 18, 2021
St Augustine, Florida
Haha, spending gas money because GAS is too overwhelming eh?

I think you made a very nice buy. I'm somewhat surprised GC budged at all on the price but if it's in very good condition you bought it for roughly $100 under what they're selling for nationally. No way to lose money doing that.

Congrats from one Tele player to a newbie Tele player. :thumb:
Thanks, I am really looking forward to getting it. Yeah GAS overwhelmed me. Was not looking to buy another guitar when I went looking at them. I saw that one and thought I would like a Tele and the price isn't bad. When my cousin told me it was very nice my mind was made up.

StratUp

Sep 5, 2020
Altered States
Thanks, I am really looking forward to getting it. Yeah GAS overwhelmed me. Was not looking to buy another guitar when I went looking at them. I saw that one and thought I would like a Tele and the price isn't bad. When my cousin told me it was very nice my mind was made up.

Long drive, but I'd probably do it.

Inconsiderate of GC to put all their Florida stores in the center of the state. If they'd put them on the shore, at least you could tie it into a new beach day.

Bob the builder

Dr. Stratster
May 2, 2016
Cranston, Rhode Island
This is only $649 new:

I'd still get a new CV myself, but that's a helluva price for something that is no better than the CV but with "Fender" on the headstock.
really ?
Kid gets a new git and ya gotta knock it ?

Tylerlayne

Strat-O-Master
Jul 18, 2021
St Augustine, Florida
Long drive, but I'd probably do it.

Inconsiderate of GC to put all their Florida stores in the center of the state. If they'd put them on the shore, at least you could tie it into a new beach day.
They have 2 in Jacksonville. One of them says its the Orange Park store but is actually in Jacksonville near Orange Park. Orange Park is in Clay county but the store is in Duval county.

Jimbo99

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 5, 2021
Palm Coast, FL
They have 2 in Jacksonville. One of them says its the Orange Park store but is actually in Jacksonville near Orange Park. Orange Park is in Clay county but the store is in Duval county.
I usually frequent the GC in Daytona Beach, I'm at FL-100 pretty much in Flagler Palm Coast. Total Entertainment is the local go to music store for me there. Last Saturday, I ended up buying a Jackson Bass for $ 100, seller was in downtown St Augustine about 30 miles away. Glad I have a car that gets 40 mpg.

Jacksonville had a lot of good Music stores, just not familiar enough with all the townships that comprise Jax. Years ago, I purged a lot of Jax out of my head after 4 years of living there. When I lived there, I knew the area well, then I moved to Miami. I've even started that Miami-Dade memory dump, I've been rural FL since 2016. Don't miss gridlock traffic one bit.

AngelDeVille

Senior Stratmaster
Jul 25, 2017
ABQ
In the time you took to post this thread you could have bought the guitar, and then posted a “look what I just got” thread…