Join Strat-Talk Today

Thinking about starting another build.

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by axejock, Oct 2, 2019.

1. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster

I have built 10 Strats since I came to this site and have really created some nice ones, all with different features like color, neck, pups, and such. I am now thinking of doing another, perhaps more difficult and different than those that I have already built. I was thinking about doing a hardtail version with unusual pup usage, but realize that I actually have that in my Yamaha Pac 611 HFM, and it would be difficult to improve on that one.

CIMG1021.JPG

So, if I want to make an actual Fender Strat hardtail, it appears that I would have to get a Robert Cray body and the parts that would fit it (pretty much what I already have in the Yamaha). So, what would be more fun and a bigger challenge would be to build an authentic Strat with a Floyd Rose Tremolo and 3 metal covered hot humbuckers between the bridge and the neck, with some wild control mechanism for the pups. I would like it to all fit in a standard Strat body and use a standard Strat neck so that it can use as many real Fender parts as possible. The big question on this one will be to find a body in the "right" color with swimming pool route and a Fender neck that will accept the string stop up at the nut. Anybody got any ideas about the feasibility of this and where I might find a good body for it?

2. Believer7713

Believer7713 Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Check out Eden guitars for the body. In order to get the swimming pool you may have to route the wings out of it. Here is one that i built using a MIJ Fender Strat neck with the Eden body equipped with a Floyd and an HSS configuration. As far as the string lock goes you can either use a behind the nut lock like the Kahlers used to use or like this one just let the locking nut overhang the headstock a bit like so.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    axejock likes this.
  3. axejock

I see these Eden bodies on Epay for very low prices, like $85 OBO. Are they any good? I'm not against going with a non-Fender body, but I would like that body to be routed for the basic pickup/electronics installation and to have the neck socket fit a standard Fender neck. Any comment on these matters? Oh, and are the woods and finishes used any good? Maybe I'll try the "low-cost" approach!

4. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

You have built 10? in 15 months? Have you thought about making the body yourself?

axejock likes this.
  5. axejock

I've certainly thought about it, but really don't have the skills, equipment, or facilities to take on such a project. I've always been good mechanically, but working with building or shaping wood was never one of my strengths. I certainly admire those who can do it and have seen some gorgeous results.

Bowmap likes this.
  6. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

If you do, you could start simply with an un-routed body already shaped. I do understand space limitations. And consider the source, as when I was single living in a ground level apartment I had a contractors table saw sitting in the corner that I wheeled out.

axejock likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.