Thinking of buying a book.....

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by The-Kid, May 14, 2020.

1. Willmunny

Willmunny Strat-O-Master

Amazon.com: The Liberation Trilogy Boxed Set: An Army at Dawn, The Day of Battle, The Guns at Last Light (9781627790598): Atkinson, Rick: Books
    Sorry, wrong link first

The-Kid likes this.
  2. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Stratmaster

Silas Marner nearly killed my love of reading. Same teacher that assigned Marner was a Hemingway sycophant. His prose wasn't much better. I didn't read for pleasure again until about my second year in college when a philosophy prof turned me on to Aleister Crowley's Diary of a Drug Fiend and the old blatherskite tickled my joy of reading again. Lord, saves us all from Sophomore English teachers.(apologies to all you Sophomore English teachers)

davidKOS, Baelzebub and rgbedard like this.
  3. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

My wife bought me 'Stalling for Time' after we finished watching the Waco mini-series on Netflix. I just started it so too soon to tell if its going to be any good.

4. rgbedard

rgbedard non-compliant Strat-Talk Supporter

Current bedside stack:

20200514_094145.jpg

5. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Senior Stratmaster

That rounds out my top 3

6. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Senior Stratmaster

Over the past couple of years I have found out that I can be an avid reader when I want to be. I would pick up a novel for a work trip and be done with it over the course of the 2-3 day trip. Long flights help.

I got on a weird Indiana Jones kick recently and rewatched all the movies on netflix. I then found out there was a novel series in the 90's. I picked up on via Amazon and read it pretty quickly and knew it was definitely not quality material. So like any rational man, I contacted my local used book shop to support them during the shutdown and bought every Indiana Jones Novel they had. I am now 3 books into that stack that I picked up 2 weeks ago. They are NOT quality books. It's sort of like binge watching a show that you know isn't great, but it's still fun if you like the main character.

I SHOULD be reading the 3 or 4 other books that I know are really good, but haven't quite gotten to yet. I have two books by Erik Larsen that I just haven't gotten into, even though I absolutely loved "Thunderstruck" and "Devil in the White City."

7. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Most Honored Senior Member

davidKOS likes this.
  8. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

And they all have lots of pictures. :p

ukoldgit likes this.
  9. ChatNoir

ChatNoir Senior Stratmaster

This is the SAME book I tried reading recently. When I was in school, I loved it, but when I tried reading it a month ago, I just couldn't get through it. No idea why, but as I was trying to make it past chapter three, I remembered something my teacher wrote on the board: "A classic is something everyone wants to have read, but no one wants to read." Currently, I'm reading a mystery by P.D. James....

Biddlin and Willmunny like this.
  10. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

Haven't picked up a real book in a long time.

11. ukoldgit

I am surprised they taught you to read pictures in Yorkshireo_O

12. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

They haven't arrived here yet, that's why we learn to read words at a very young age.o_O

ukoldgit likes this.
  13. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Senior Stratmaster

My wife just got me , fender the sound heard around the world by Richard Smith so been reading that its a great book lots of history and cool photos I've not seen before .
    Next I wouldn't mind George Fullerton's book or the book Phyllis Fender has done any other recommendations ?.

14. ukoldgit

Thought this one wasn't worth looking at:oops:
    upload_2020-5-14_18-50-46.jpeg

brians, ChatNoir and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  15. ukoldgit

And one Mrs OG bought me:eek:
    [​IMG]

Stratwrangler and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  16. ukoldgit

One I have on my wish list...............
    [​IMG]

Stratwrangler likes this.
  17. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Senior Stratmaster

For an interesting and timely recommendation, I read "On the Beach" by Nevil Shute a while back. It's the most grounded post-apocalyptic story I've ever read. In short, it was written and set in 1957 Australia and some massive nuclear war occurred but details are fuzzy because of how quickly things hit the fan. The people on the island know the radioactive fallout will hit their shores and approximately when, but they try to carry on as normally as possible as some semblance of normal life so they don't just go insane. Very, very timely for people striving for "normal" in these crazy times.

18. Hydr0

Hydr0 Strat-Talker

Those books are great, but he's been working on the last two (book 6 and 7) for about 9 years now...hopefully by the time you are done "Winds of Winter" will be out...but i wouldn't hold my breath :D

One more thing...some people read "Feast for Crows" and "A Dance with Dragons" in real-time format...skipping back-and-forth between books...i tried it that way and hated the experience..very confusing...i say read one and then the other..the way it was written

CajunJ likes this.
  19. nungesser

nungesser Oh Bobby I'm sorry you got a head like a potato Strat-Talk Supporter

I mainly read Science Fiction and have been reading a UK writer named Adrian Tchaikovsky Children of Ruin second in a series where the aliens are spiders and octopi.
    I've read almost everything Herman Melville has written it all started a few years back when I thought I would read Moby Dick for fun cause the whole tearing apart thing in school didn't work for me, really enjoyed his short story well I think they were articles in a magazine when published called The Encantadas about the Galapagos Islands.
    Recently got a book about Stanley Woods an Irish motorcycle racer from the 1930's who won the isle of man TT many times

ukoldgit likes this.
  20. Samiad

Samiad Strat-Talk Member

Salem's Lot is awesome, I love that one. I've got The Stand on my shelf too, along with a bunch of other of his to read.

Chuck8436 likes this.