Thinking of deleting my profile. Weigh in!!

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by SIngles Forever, Jun 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SIngles Forever

SIngles Forever Strat-Talker

I love the tone of strats and to talk about them. I posted a couple of threads that attempt to talk about things that I feel influence tone. And as soon as I did that, I received a massive influx of dismissive mocking and insults. I maintained my composure but eventually I kinda had to assert by striking back a little.

We're talking about fifty, sixty year old men behaving like little children in a schoolyard. And when one starts, the rest just follow the flow like ...again...children.

I always thought these guitar forums were full of mature people who like to talk about tone, builds, models, repairs, deals, parts etc. Man was I ever shocked at this.

Who thinks I should I just just leave?

Who thinks I should just ignore these geri-childs and associate with theore mature people... who in a twist of irony seem to be the younger ones?

Joey

2. heltershelton

heltershelton Vivamus libero Vivamus duris Silver Member

just ignore it.
    i would have fired back harder.

Wound_Up, JJ119, fattboyzz and 11 others like this.
  3. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox

Strat talk is actually pretty mild compared with some of the other guitar sites. Ignore the D-bags and make the best of it.

Almost every one, myself included, can be an arrogant poo head by times. Take a deep breath, forgive the negativity, rise above, suck it up, and then forget about it.

Danny D, Wound_Up, McJack and 4 others like this.
  4. Boubou

Boubou Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

That’s why I come here!

Danny D, Elvie, abnormaltoy and 2 others like this.
  5. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Most Honored Senior Member

I'm not familiar with your profile or the threads you mentioned, but I think most people who post here are fairly friendly.
    There are for sure some people who can be jerks, and even nice people have moments when they can be jerks.
    But we're only human after all.

Quick edit:
    It's only the internet. Don't take any of it too seriously

6. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

A lot of times the answers or replies are banter, here on this forum we have a lot of joking around which makes this Forum a lot of fun, maybe you took things the wrong way ?
    I would take replies which do not please you with a grain of salt

Danny D, AznCaster, BigNorm and 3 others like this.
  7. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

I just did a quick read of the first two pages, and I sorta get how things got sidetracked. And you as OP kind of do bear some of the responsibility, sure people went in hard on you and some seemed to enjoy it but that's forums for ya.

Creating a thread with a very subjective subject and when people object you respond with "I heard what I heard" then things are bound to go in a direction that's ugly.

If you want to leave, just leave. There's no way of deleting your account here. And I don't know what exactly you hope to achieve with this thread which is about your former thread.

At this point I'd take my loss and take a break. Further pounding a dead horse won't do any good.

Take care

8. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

I dunno Joey. Maybe you're a bit too thin-skinned for the place.

I find this place to be mostly as what you describe you thought it to be, "mature people who like to talk about tone, builds, models, repairs, deals, parts etc.".

But discussions of some things, "tone" in particular get regularly mocked because anything and everything that could possibly have been said about tone has been hashed and rehashed hundreds on times. (search tone and any other feature of a guitar and see how many threads come up,)

Everyone has an opinion. Same goes for anything that's just basically a subjective opinion. Even Eric Johnson gets mocked for his silliness about being able to tell tonal differences by the type of screws in his guitar. Maybe he can. But if no one else can, what difference can it really make?

Now there are folks who do little but comment on what other people say but offer nothing in in the way of substance. And there are some abusive, types..some stupid ones...they same general mix you get in any group. But that's why you're given the ability to block the people and stuff you don't find useful. You have to take a hand in shaping your own experience here.

Or just laugh them off if you're one of those people who think blocking others is some sort of value judgment, rather than just shaping your own experience, and don't want to do it.

But we've all been locked up for over year and nerves area bit frayed...so there's that too.

Which is all to say, you can probably get what you want out of this place if you just lighten up a little, cut people some slack, and take some control.

And by the way..you can't delete content, but I think you can inactivate you account by requesting it from one of the mods.

I hope you don't. Since I haven't blocked you, you must have added something useful...to me anyway.:D

PS - I'm not sure the younger ones are any more mature. They just don't have 30+years under their belt listening to subjective banter about tone.

9. stratnutz

stratnutz Senior Stratmaster

You can check out any time you like
    but you can never leave.

10. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

Threads about differences in tone due to changes in the design of parts on an electric guitar - those subjects will never end well on a forum like this, or any other one on the internet. Ask 100 people, get 100 different answers. Nobody attacked you personally, let's have a good time and maybe talk about other things like what color you like, what headstock shape (for aesthetics, not tone), or what pickups etc or setup you like.....

@SIngles Forever

Danny D, ukoldgit, Elvie and 10 others like this.
  11. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

True dat. Head on over to ..what was it...Gear Talk(?) and see what a circus it can be.

Danny D and abnormaltoy like this.
  12. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-O-Master

13. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Most Honored Senior Member

Choice is yours really. There’s lots of great info here and some very knowledgeable people. You just have to sort out the chaff and keep the wheat...
    The key is this is the internet and everyone ultimately is a faceless entity albeit some here have become good friends.
    There’s some jokers who who poke fun for fun a and thats balanced with rabble rousers.
    Personally I have learned more about Strats versus fake ones here, great info on Amps etc...

14. PonyB

PonyB Strat-Talker

So it's everybody else, then?
    Any insight into why you're getting these responses?

15. Oldboy

Oldboy Senior Stratmaster

"I always thought these guitar forums were full of mature people who like to talk about tone, builds, models, repairs, deals, parts etc. Man was I ever shocked at this."

The membership of internet forums of any type, be it guitars, cars, guns, whatever, just reflect the same makeup of personalities as society itself, including those who are going to offend and those who are going to feel offended. To expect anything different is pretty naïve.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  16. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

We'll, don't ..., Oh nvm. :whistling:

Ibtl!!

abnormaltoy and s5tuart like this.
  17. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

See. We are really very tame.

Danny D, fattboyzz and abnormaltoy like this.
  18. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Platinum Supporting Member

I hope you don't stay away long if at all. There is interesting and though provoking comments on here. More importantly, there is a huge knowledge base about guitars that you are unlikely to find any places else. Most are willing to share. Some subjects do tend to go downhill after a general consensus has been posted. There has been a lot of threads on music theory. I enjoy those a lot.

Danny D, TheDireStrat and abnormaltoy like this.
  19. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

Haysoos Christo.

Need attention much?

Why not post how you saved a litter of kittens from being eaten by a rabid wolf.

Whatever the responses you got you asked for then didn’t like it.

Don’t blame the forum for picking on you, take responsibility for your own actions.

749A1BDA-7AA2-47E8-90C3-7029A6E489CE.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
  20. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

That's about the size of it. Add to it a lot of irrelevant attention-seeking responses that don't contribute a thing.

I call it "daytime internet". Like old-school tv, it's generally better nights and weekends.

Plus, there's some cool cats in here, too.

JJ119 and Stonetone like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.