Thinking of getting a keyboard, opinions please.

MT Poteet

Strat-O-Master
Sep 10, 2021
Denco
There is an older YamahaPSR-295 for sale locally very inexpensive.
There is also a Yamaha PSR E343 that looks a little better.
Any thoughts or opinions on these.
Thanks in advance.

nickmsmith

Dr. Stratster
Jul 28, 2011
USA
There is an older YamahaPSR-295 for sale locally very inexpensive.
Any thoughts or opinions on this.
Thanks in advance.
For what use? As a beginner keyboard with different variety of sounds, go for it! You can do better if you’re looking for high quality sounds, but not for cheap.

nickmsmith

Dr. Stratster
Jul 28, 2011
USA
I bought a Yamaha M06 back in like 2006. I went to guitar center a few years ago, and to be honest, it seems like keyboard technology really hasn’t improved much since then.

I suppose most stuff is done via midi/controller on a computer now, professionally.

davidKOS

not posting these days
May 28, 2012
California
If the price is right and you wish to play or even begin to learn keys, that's fine.

I bought a Yamaha M06 back in like 2006. I went to guitar center a few years ago, and to be honest, it seems like keyboard technology really hasn’t improved much since then.

I suppose most stuff is done via midi/controller on a computer now, professionally.

And some of those VST's can be controlled by any USB or MIDI keyboard. It's a wonderful world we live in now.

My laptop has all the sounds that would have required a truck or trailer to carry them all back in the 70's. Now just give my a Macbook, controller keyboard and plug me into the PA.

Yamaha makes good stuff, usually better than the price might lead you to assume. Getting a keyboard is the best way to get a grip on music theory.

Honestly, a lot of music theory is somewhat easier to see on a keyboard, since there is one and only one place to play any particular pitch, unlike guitar.

Bowmap

I nose a thang or two.
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 23, 2017
3rd door down.
You need to play them so get a feel for the action. I have a small semi-weighted and also a fully weighted hammer action. I think I like the semi-weighted better but it a personal preference.

davidKOS

not posting these days
May 28, 2012
California
You need to play them so get a feel for the action. I have a small semi-weighted and also a fully weighted hammer action. I think I like the semi-weighted better but it a personal preference.
I'd rather play piano on an unweighted organ/synth keyboard than play organ and synth on a weighted hammer-action piano keyboard.

Bowmap

I nose a thang or two.
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 23, 2017
3rd door down.
I went and looked at the specs for the OP's two mentioned keyboards. I did not see a specific mention of MIDI. Are these MIDI capable?

EDIT: After downloading the user manual I did find that MIDI Level 1 is supported over USB.

Last edited:

ido1957

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 13, 2014
Canada
I have a Yamaha digital piano (can't find the model) but it has all the features I need and sounds pretty great for recording.

pazman6

Senior Stratmaster
May 28, 2014
Prairieville, Louisiana
I have a Yamaha PSR-410 (or something close) I bought in 1995. It has tons of sounds and midi in and out. I still use it as a midi keyboard into my interface with soft synths and it works well. I like the weighted keys on a keyboard, but that typically raises the price a bunch. You can't go wrong with Keystation if you have a computer - you can get a free DAW and soft synths and make lots of cool sounds.

Latest posts