Thinking of getting a Strat - now what?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by gilmourstrat, Sep 24, 2021.

1. mn2422

mn2422 New Member!

Another vote for an American Standard…2014 HSS here…great guitar…

2. dbluesmi

dbluesmi Strat-Talk Member

Used Fender Am Pro II Strat… or wait for one of those $1650 used Silver Sky’s to show up.

GitGeek likes this.
  3. SIngles Forever

SIngles Forever Strat-O-Master

Get a good condition used standard or special. It will sound more stratty and look way better. The PRS headstock on a strat doesn't quite rock imo.

You can find standards and specials for great deals in great colours.

4. gilmourstrat

gilmourstrat Senior Stratmaster

I can get a brand new NOS AM Standard "10 for 15 Limited Edition" Oiled Ash for around 1100 EUR...

I played the guitar, it's great. It haves the Fat 50's but that bridge pickup I just can't like... And I recall I already sold a '14 AM Standard Ash with the same pickups...

The guitar I'm talking about is the same as this one:

hrstrat57 likes this.
  5. uncle daddy

uncle daddy Strat-O-Master

I'd build one. Like this. I have about £500 in this- all Fender metalwork, Bootstrap pickups, Allparts neck, alder body etc.

P1130182.JPG

BuddyHollywood likes this.
  6. gilmourstrat

If it helps the "tone" in my head is a bit like Lady Writer from Dire Straits...

7. Dain Bramage

Dain Bramage Strat-Talker

Play as many as you can and listen for what you need as well as pleasant surprises.

8. gilmourstrat

Oh and yes I have the luck to have a '79 Music Man RP-65 212... man this amp is sweeeeeeeeeeet!

9. bluebeard

bluebeard Strat-Talk Member

A PRS is not a Strat and a Strat is not a PRS
    Life is short get both
    I have a black CS Robin Trower signature Strat
    I love it
    I have 3 PRS I love them as well
    I have 22 guitars
    They are all unique and individual
    I love them all
    Buy what you want and enjoy it

10. GitGeek

GitGeek Livin' After Midnight Silver Member

When I read your thread title, I thought you meant a Fender guitar since you took the time to capitalize Strat.

Others in this thread have suggested the Fender Stratocaster American Professional II and Ultra Luxe. Those would be my suggestions as well.

They are made in America, they're high quality, have all the switching/pickup options you'll need, and the neck and fret finish along with the contoured neck heel are spot on.

11. Slartybartfast

Slartybartfast Strat-Talker

Okay now, this is a rare opportunity. A very cool, very unusual guitar at a good price. If it's at a real store, play it next to a Strat first. But I'm veering toward the PRS. Listen and play, feel the weight - You know, all that stuff we used to do before online buying.

12. 0utputXfmr

0utputXfmr Strat-Talk Member

Good post! I actually had to look up the 1979 Music Man Saber guitars (I was already aware of the Saber bass, whose body shape - I'm 99% certain - got resurrected for the G&L LB100 bass) after reading this. The new Cutlass and Saber models definitely use that same body shape, but, yeah, that's about it. The humbuckers in the original appear to be very similar to the big-magnet, 3-point-mount humbuckers also used in the original Stingray guitar. A 1978 Saber Guitar shown below:

[​IMG]

Speaking of the Stingray guitar, one of my criticisms of EBMM is that (IMHO) they went way too conservative with the new Stingray guitar-- the original, shown below, had interesting pickups and interesting controls, along with a big, honking chrome control plate. The new one has... well.. nothing really interesting or unique at all. I think I wrote a post somewhere on this forum (or was it TDPRI?) about what would have made an interesting Stingray guitar...

[​IMG]

CB91710 and John C like this.
  13. Tremdaddy

Tremdaddy Strat-Talk Member

Not trying to be a cork sniffer here but whatever the model PRS "strat" that Paul Jackson Jr.'s been playing the last few times on TV sure sounds good to my ear. (of course he pays his ass off too, which is part of it, lol.} I've got 4 Fender Strats - 2 custom shops ('65 Relic and a '54 R.I.), an '83 Fullerton '57 R.I. and a 2010 60's Roadworn - all are great. But I've got a G&L Legacy and a Suhr Classic Pro and a custom made Sammy Sanchez that are great too. I think you'll find the PRS plenty "stratty" and the build quality will likely be tip top. Just my 2 cents.

14. siegeld

siegeld Strat-Talk Member

I prefer my PRS 305 over any fender strat I have played (and I played two custom shops and other $$$ fenders). It cures my strat itch. Also prefer it ocer the DC-3 or Silver Sky. The 305 feels more organic to me with it's neck through body construction and the pickups are incredibly versatile. It's a great weight and plays effortlessly. Next up is my 87/88 Strat Plus. Sometimes you can find a beat-up used one in the price range and with some effort bring it to life.

15. ZZDoc

ZZDoc Strat-Talker

I've been playing Strats since '58. I've owned two Smith's. A '94 CE 24, and their Johnny Hiland model. Both were swapped out for Strats. I didn't care for the neck carves. They were meticulously crafted instruments and possessed a panache that even the Custom Shop Strat I had built did not have. Fender has yet to beat the quality, fit and finish of the hard shell cases Smith supplies with his high end guitars. But now, Smith is supplying a gig bag with their new $2400 signature issue. The hardshell is an upgrade.
    3 Guitars.jpg Go figure. My Gilmour is a great guitar but still lacks that 'je ne sasi quoi of the Smiths, yet the Strat feels like 'home'. My Claptons are my go to axes. The best neck carve in the lineup.. It's what rings your chimes, mate.

16. systolsys

systolsys Strat-O-Master

I dunno. The only consideration is that there will always be more Strats. The DC-3 is discontinued, meaning it may appreciate in value. Or it may not. Either way, if you pay a fair price for it, you'll probably be able to get a fair price for it.

You do pay a premium for the Fender name, but you also pay premium for the PRS name... so I think those will cancel in this case.

If I had that money to buy a Strat off the shelf, I'd be looking for a run-out deal on a Roadhouse or Deluxe HSS before the Player Plus completely takes over.

Actually... what I'd actually do would be to pick-up a Deluxe body (with the shaped neck heel - they list for US$250 and are available in limited colours, a 12" radius rolled-edge Player Plus neck (probably maple) with locking tuners (you'll need a small drill bit, some patience and very care depth measurement for the extra screw hole in the neck), and set of traditional (non-noiseless) pickups to my particular taste (right now, probably an Alnico III set). But I have played Strats for a while and I know what I like.

17. gilmourstrat

Decisions, decisions.... I play both at the store and they're both great guitars. The "oiled ash" is just amazing, is very well setup'd from factory, plays very well... the DC3 haves that "PRS" quality feel and it's not bias, you can really "feel" the quality at this grade... it was a guitar that retailed for a whopping $3000 USD when released. But... it's not the "typical" Strat.

18. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

American Performer is a great guitar. Very much a Strat, Yosemite pickups sound really good (to me, anyhow).

19. Grandfunkfan

Grandfunkfan Strat-Talk Member

20. Grandfunkfan

Grandfunkfan Strat-Talk Member

Definitely an American standard, preferably pre 2012 before they changed to fat 50s pickups. If you can't find one you like, the Vintera 50s non modified is really good too. Both options are better than the bland tone of the American pro strats.