Thinking of Retiring From Chasing Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by SurfsUp, Jan 30, 2020.

1. wrvond

wrvond Senior Stratmaster

At one point all my Strats had locking tuners (Schaller, of course), LSR nut, trem lock, deluxe bridges with snap in trem arm, and Lace Sensors. Wiring included, Grease Bucket, EC 25db boost, TBX, S1 switching and many other circuits I can't begin to remember.
    Trem locks have been removed, pups are either American Series or '57/'62s, and circuits are returned to Delta Tone.

Less is more.

brians likes this.
  2. brians

brians Senior Stratmaster

I do change strings quite a lot.
    Never changed a pickup in my life.
    I don't even understand all the lingo around pickups, reverse wound etc. If it sounds crap, then it's a crap guitar to me and I leave it.
    I must be one of the only members on this forum that has never spent a zack on pickups in 30 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

s5tuart, SurfsUp and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  3. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

Do it.

4. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

Well, at some point all this changing keeps you from playing and making music. I'd rather get on to that part.

5. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I changed out the pickups on my Strat because I let myself listen to internet BS. Went with some DiMarzio Areas, they weren't bad. I left them in for a year or so just to make sure I gave them a fair shot. Went back to stock. That's what I liked in the first place, as many others have said. And there really are so many other ways to tweak your sound if you have to that a pickup swap should be the option of last resort

6. SurfsUp

SurfsUp Senior Stratmaster

And I'm the pimp.....shame on me. Hahaha

Man if spent half the time playing I have chasing I'd be pro.

Believer7713 likes this.
  7. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Strat-Talker

That said (the Morello bit) my black MIM is loaded with SSL6s (which I love) and Sienna is about to receive SSL2 for neck and middle and SSL6 for bridge, so we’ll see.

I’m also sorely tempted with a set of Toneriders (the TRS3s) as I heard a YouTube video with them in and they sounded awesome!

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  8. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

I Only swapped PUP's on my strat for Noiseless (Neck & Middle) and a Single Humbucker (Dimarzio Super Distortion S) In the Bridge, Not really for Tone Just went With Good old classics and I Wont ever change PU again

SurfsUp likes this.
  9. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Most Honored Senior Member

Sounds like a path to tread and quit chasing that elusive sound. Like many IMHO we are all guilty of getting the pups that our current hero has etc.... Never seems to work out 100% and the chase begins again.
    I tend to replace at least the bridge pickup on a Strat with a Humbucker cause thats the sound I like.

I spent a lot of time very early 90s chasing a Heavy metal sound I called “Vorpal sucking” ( be nice now...) It was a huge distorted sound, not crunch that was overwhelming. The internet wasn’t what it is today and eventually discovered after pickup swaps, stacking gain etc... it was dropped tuning and the bass playing the same lines as the guitar player. No one I talked to knew how the bands achieved this and it started a series of”Tone” chasing. Evil rabbit hole to fall onto.

I’m healed now.....lol

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Stratmaster

once i discovered bill lawrence wilde pickups,
    i DID retire from chasing pickups.

that was in 2006.

11. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member

Several years ago, I got into Strat modding and it just about became a regular hobby for me to swap out pickups on my Strats so I could try different ones. That can be an expensive hobby, so I pretty much stopped for now.

I know someone who has a 1993 Strat Plus with the Gold Lace Sensors, and I think it's a great guitar, and I like those pickups. One thing I wish the Strat Plus had was 7-way pickup switching, but overall those were some of my favorite Strats that Fender made.

12. stratmatt777

stratmatt777 Strat-Talker

Based on my understanding that Lincoln Brewster uses the DiMarzio Areas, I think the only reason to switch from conventional single coils (that you like!) to Dimarzio Areas or Duncan Vintage Rails or whatever is if you are dealing with noise issues while playing live from not having humbucking.

Your comment proves to me that, in spite of Lincoln having great recorded tone with the DM Areas, they won't sound exactly like a single coil.

And it just occurred to me that Lincoln very well may record with a strat with normal single coils to get that beautiful tone on his records... and then tour with the Areas to eliminate interference/buzz.

You are guaranteed to get one kind of opinion on internet forums...
    an opinion that is not yours!

SurfsUp likes this.
  13. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I was trying to get away from a noisy bridge pickup. The Areas weren't terrible but they to me it was like they just didnt quite get to the top of the hill. Close, but not quite. Like when you have a cold you just cant shake. You're allllmost over it but not quite there

I decided I could live with the noise better

14. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Strat-Talk Supporter

I'll continue to encourage people to do what pleases you.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  15. stratmatt777

stratmatt777 Strat-Talker

I haven't tried the DM Areas. I'm very happy with the Fender Original '57/'62 single coils in neck and middle and a Duncan Custom Custom humbucker in the bridge.
    I tried a Duncan Cool Rails when they were new... it was pretty "blah".

The Dimarzio HS-3 single coil sized stacked humbucker is SUPER low output and sounds pretty sweet. I was using that in the neck until 2010 when I got the Fender 57/62.

Single coils are the things that sound like single coils!

16. xhefri

xhefri Strat-Talk Member

I have a bout 3 "go to" guitars...well at least when I am talking Fender. A 87 Surf Green Strat plus with Gold Lace, a 1990 Ultra with Blue, Silver, Red Dually, and a 87 Vintage white with Silver/Silver/Blue lace..... I have some cool custom stuff but I have these tuned in for the sounds i like... and one can do a lot with an amp these days too....

SurfsUp likes this.
  17. SurfsUp

SurfsUp Senior Stratmaster

Lace pickups are by far my favorite. In my avatar you'll see my two Plus Deluxes (yellow and the burst). Can't be beat. Mayyyyyybe I'll drop my Hot Golds back in my Surf Green Strat someday. I ain't dead yet lol....

SAguitar, fattboyzz and EC Strat-boy like this.
  18. EC Strat-boy

EC Strat-boy Senior Stratmaster

I definitely have done my share of tone chasing and laid down some dough I think the trick for me was recognizing what I have is achieving what I’m after

Seth Lovers in my Semi hollow - bliss
    SD STK 4 in my Strat - vintage Noiseless tones that I’m after late 50’s
    Gibson 57 classics in my LP - that vintage classic LP rocking growl - thick tones and aggressive

but I’ve found I’ve gotten more mileage out of speaker upgrades and rolling tubes in my amps.

PRRI - Eminence GA 59 12”
    Marshall DSL 40- G 65 Creamback

so I did tinker quite a bit but I’m pretty well set with how I have things. I try to focus on high quality of components vs quantity of guitars amps and pedals.

SurfsUp likes this.
  19. Wayfinder

Wayfinder Strat-Talker

I agree with the OP. Modding a guitar is fine (if one doesn't care about vintage / original / etc)... but there comes a time when one has to say, "This sounds great. What's better than great?" I have a whole drawer full of pickups I'll never use. I bought them intending to "build something with them some day"... then never got around to it.

Same holds true for guitars. There's only so many guitars a person can play. At one time in my life I thought, "Why would anyone need more than one or two guitars?" Then later on in life I thought, "Can't have too many guitars". Some time later I learned you definitely can have too many guitars (same holds true for amps)... and I'm in the process of emptying an entire back room on Craigslist. (Sorry folks, nothing special in there, just odds and ends I picked up cheap over the years. Some new players are going to get some good deals.)

So yeah, what I've learned over (mumblety mumble) decades: wisdom is realizing when you have what you need, and being satisfied with that. Because there is no end to collecting guitars and associated gear. : )

EC Strat-boy and SurfsUp like this.
  20. Jason D

Jason D Senior Stratmaster

I’ve always swapped out humbuckers if it’s an HSS Strat. It seems like current stock HBs are way better than the stock ones fender install when I started playing though. A buddy just bought a Meteora a couple months ago and is really happy with the stock PUs, and he’s been a SD Pearly Gates guy for the last 20 years.