Join Strat-Talk Today

Thinking of Retiring From Chasing Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by SurfsUp, Jan 30, 2020.

1. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

I guess I am in a weird mood this morning...
    but I read the thread title and immediately pictured some exhausted person chasing a pickup... truck. o_Oo_Oo_O

2. nmoc strat

nmoc strat Strat-O-Master

I can relate to that.

On my Strats, I mostly Change the pups too, because I'm after "that" sound, although on my case, its mostly because, I prefer Humbuckers.

But nowadays, I have my Gibson Les Paul Goldtop Standart, still with its original pups, the Burstbuckers, which are great btw, but still, I have a spare pair Of Duncans JB / 59, which I'm wondering how good would They sound on there.

3. s5tuart

s5tuart Perfecting time travel since 2525 Strat-Talk Supporter

It’s funny because I will buy I guitar that I like the sound and feel of and continue to play it as bought :whistling:

Ones I occasionally “steal” on eBay do sometimes have their pups changed, if there’s a desirable set in it that I can flip separately from the guitar. :D

4. Bladesg

Bladesg Senior Stratmaster

I prefer the Burstbuckers. IMO the best pickup humbucker Gibson makes/made.

5. addisj

addisj Strat-Talker

I really like the sound of the new Gibson Slashbuckers. But I get all my buckers from radioshop

6. SurfsUp

SurfsUp Senior Stratmaster

I had Burstbuckers in a Studio I once had, and they were AWESOME.

That said, the '57 Classics in my Trad are a slight, ever sooooo slight, hair behind them. Not enough to swap them however. But good enough that I'll never need to.

EC Strat-boy likes this.
  7. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I’ve been trying to like the Lace Golds that came in my ‘90 Strat Plus since 1991. I just tried them out the other day and I really bonded with the bridge pup but in the neck position, it was lifeless.

I’ve got Duncan classics stacks, Dimarzio Areas, Dimarzio Virtuals, Fender ‘57/62s, ‘89 Am Std., and Lace Hot Golds that I would choose over the 666 Lace Golds. I also ditched the stock lifeless p100s in my LP Special Double cutaway for Duncan p90s. In my LP Dc Studio, I thought the stock pups 498/490...I don’t remember...were lifeless so I put a Duncan Custom Custom in the B and a Pearly Gates in the neck. Now it can do it all from low output sweetness to high output intensity.

I never chased tone to sound like another player but I’ve always always looked for pickups that simply sound more ‘awake’ than their stock OE counterparts

Andrew Wasson and EC Strat-boy like this.
  8. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

Never swapped pickups.

9. Brillig

Brillig Strat-Talker

I totally agree. Along the lines of the Trey quote in my sig, you have to spend time with what you have and let it settle, evolve, and come together over time.

There are so many variables in guitar sound. If you're changing all the variables all the time you're going to be all over the place. And I think so often people end up changing the wrong thing for the wrong reason.

Given a guitar and set of pickups, it will effect what amp you buy (and speaker replacement?), how you set every single knob on that amp, what pedals you buy, how you order those pedals, how you set the each and every knob on those pedals. All of those tiny adjustments will effect the sound and are all built around that base.

You need time to let that all grow together and evolve. I don't see how anyone can do that if you're constantly swapping guitars and pickups.

I was honestly just yesterday considering (seriously but not entirely seriously) getting a second amp and starting to build a whole second rig around my second favorite guitar so I could leave the one I have now set up for my favorite guitar, as it's evolved over the years into exactly what I like.

albala and fattboyzz like this.
  10. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

I've chased some tones buying pickups and loaded guards over the past couple years. It's been some good fun . I'm like others who have likened it to their hotrods. ;)

I've settled in to what I've got now though and am enjoying them.

My partscaster Tele & Strat have Fender pickups. My Ibanez has Dimarzios and my Epi. lpjr is currently under construction with a JB going in it. I've also got another partscaster under construction using Lace gold's ;)

Plenty of tones to be had amongst all those options !

11. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

Things that helped me from endlessly swapping:

1. If I swap em out, there better be a reason. What does the instrument need that the current pickups aren't doing?
    2. Don't just look for 'better'. Have definable goals to achieve.
    3. The overall goal is to get to playing/writing/recording, so I apply these same ideas to a swap of any of my gear. If *this* thing won't do it, that what will? I'd rather be playing than endless research and swapping.

BuddyHollywood and fattboyzz like this.
  12. Morf2540

Morf2540 Strat-O-Master

Just sayin,' I have the same guitar, with the same Lace Sensors, and I have to say I love those pickups. I know some guys don't like them, but I think they are very warm, full, and rich sounding, which I love. Glad you were able to find them again.

SurfsUp, Brillig and SAguitar like this.
  13. Brillig

Brillig Strat-Talker

I have a 91 Strat Deluxe. Those LS are wildly underrated. Mine was unusual that it came with Blue/Gold/Red (Dually). Red dually was way too hot for the stuff I play so I replaced with a Gold dualy which I love. I ended up with all golds all across but they are all really nice pickups. Love the tone and love the flexibility to adjust height to get different sounds without worrying about string drag.

By the way, I could be wrong but I've become convinced over the years that the reason a lot of people don't like Lace Sensors is because they didn't understand the TBX tone control on those first Strats and dimed it like they do with normal tone controls (instead of starting at 5 at the detente) and didn't like the sound *that* produced.

Edit: I have a 91 Strat Ultra, not a Deluxe.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    SurfsUp likes this.
  14. wrvond

wrvond Senior Stratmaster

I thought the Ultra was the only model with dual sensors at the bridge...

15. ThebiggestJerk

ThebiggestJerk Strat-Talker

The pursuit of guitar tone is the literal proverbial chasing of the dragon.... just like smack.

16. Brillig

Brillig Strat-Talker

Sorry, the unusual part I was referring to was the gold in the middle. My understanding is that most Ultras had a silver in the middle.

But I could very well be wrong about that, thirty year old memories...

17. Brillig

Brillig Strat-Talker

Sorry, just reread. Right, I meant to say I have a 91 Ultra. :)

Weird brain fart there....

wrvond likes this.
  18. SAguitar

SAguitar Senior Stratmaster

Heck, I've got plenty of solder I haven't melted yet! Plus a good size box of pickups, and I enjoy trying out different combinations in different guitars. I have discovered some great combinations over the years and plan to keep experimenting. Some of my guitars have settled into a "keeper" state and those probably won't face the soldering station again. For example, I have two Strats I wired with Gold Lace Sensors that sound excellent to my ears. But I have numerous others that seem to still be evolving, and I am enjoying the tone pursuit.

I do have a few axes that are still wearing their factory pickups, but those are few and coincidentally all Gibsons. I can't seem to find a good reason to tear into them. I don't do this to the detriment of my playing time, I still spend many hours a week toiling on fretboards.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  19. wrvond

wrvond Senior Stratmaster

My 91 Ultra is also Blue - Gold - Red|Red.
    I've never really paid it much mind. Maybe it's just a '91 thing. I'll have to make time to visit xhefri's and see if he has any information posted concerning that.

Brillig likes this.
  20. Brillig

Brillig Strat-Talker

That got me curious. I just checked his site, which is I'm guessing how I got the idea about that in the first place some time long ago.

MIDDLE pickup is a Silver Lace Sensor which delivers a fat 70's single coil sound with increased output and more midrange. Great for those out of phase sound when combined with the neck or bridge pickups. Some ealry Ultras came with a Gold Lace in the middle position.

http://xhefriguitars.com/page4.html

wrvond likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.