Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Thinking of starting to play Open Mic nights

Discussion in 'Bands on the Run' started by Ravenmore, Dec 7, 2017 at 5:12 PM.

1. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-Talker

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    Hey all - I've been wanting to get into playing live music but was having a hard time figuring out where to start. So I was thinking of hitting up some open mic nights to get my feet wet. There's one place that I've been to a couple of times. I have to admit they've had some stellar talent there when I've gone. Young lady by the name of Jackie Venson was playing there the last time I went (google her - think she's been featured in a guitar magazine since).

Anyway, any suggestions appreciated. Any song/set ideas especially. :)

ocean likes this.

2. apm1991

apm1991 Strat-Talker

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    do it!.. I did my first ever open mic a few weeks ago... the band before me was phenomenal a blue grass band with a fiddle player, guitar, and banjo, all sang.... I did 3 originals, people applauded and seemed to like it... one guy got up and made a scene as soon as I got on stage, but his friends (1 guy and 4 girls) stayed and he ended up coming back inside the bar to hear the last song.. I loved it, so much fun... I'm playing a party with the full band next week, I'm stoked to play loud for people.. our full ten song set, all originals

as for suggestions... I'd probably do a cover to start, if you forget words just kind of hum/mumble what you can and get back to it... try not to stress but no matter what you will.. you'll get that feeling in your stomach, adrenaline/fear, but I absolutely love that feeling.. I had a beer or two before

Paperback Rocker and Ravenmore like this.

3. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

Jul 13, 2015
    Cascadia
    Bring your own stuff, use the sign-up sheet, be polite even everyone else is rude and park the ego at the door. If you're not familiar with it, learn the stage language... how the songs are called out; it'll be something like:

'slow blues - two-five, come in on the four, in A'

If that made sense to you, then you're all set... Break a leg!

4. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Senior Stratmaster

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
    Have a great time - I did a lot of open mics in the past and occasionally get up and do one now. One thing about doing originals, nobody knows the words so if you forget something just pull a different line from a verse and keep going - no one is going to notice.

That said, watch what other people are doing and if you notice a trend in some songs, you can learn similar songs and jam with people quite easily.

apm1991 and Ravenmore like this.

5. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-Talker

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    I know my nerves will be through the roof lol. I played 1 'gig' which is where some of us from work played a company picnic. I somehow got thrown into playing on the first two songs and on the 3rd someone thought it would be good to have me sing lead vocals. First time singing outside the shower and I had about a 100 people staring at me lol. But yeah I want to try it some more. :)

6. Mississippi_Kid

Mississippi_Kid Senior Stratmaster

Man...if you did that in front of coworkers, strangers should be no problem.

BallisticSquid and Ravenmore like this.

7. Seth McCormick

Seth McCormick Strat-Talk Member

Nov 30, 2017
    Broussard, Louisiana
    Go for it!!

Ravenmore likes this.

8. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-Talker

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    Hmmm - thinking of doing 'House is a Rockin' by SRV if I can get my bro in law to sit in on keys with me.

9. stratman in va

stratman in va Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 27, 2012
    Virginia
    Open mic can be a lot of fun. You might consider doing an original tune and a cover if you have enough time. Sounds like you have already hung out there and watched a few times, which is always a good idea.

10. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-Talker

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    I've only been one other time. I'm going to go tomorrow just to listen.

I guess I could try to write something original. Probably a good idea to keep me from accidentally doing something someone else is doing in their set.

11. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world

Have at least one more song than you need for your time slot ready to go, just in case the reverse happens. ;)

12. moullineaux

moullineaux Strat-O-Master

Jul 11, 2009
    ATLANTA, GA
    Go for it and the above advice about signing in and being polite serve you well

13. fezz parka

fezz parka The Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

Nothing gets your shizz together better than doing it in front of people. Either open mics where you perform solo, or open jams where you sit in and learn to have that musical conversation with other musicians. :D

rolandson and Dick Blackmore like this.

14. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    Always remember that the audience wants you to succeed.

And also don't be offended by the people who talk right over your playing. Don't let it psyche you out.

Record it. Watch it if you dare and look for areas to improve. And save it, because someday you'll enjoy watching it.

Good luck!

dueducs likes this.

15. nederemer

nederemer Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    I have to applaud you for it. Even though I have been playing the guitar for almost 20 years since I was 12 I could count the number of times I have played for an audience on one hand lol.

Great job for having the balls to do it!

16. shovelmike

shovelmike Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2013
    Missouri
    Go for it! If you want to ease into it do as I am, play in nursing homes, or the local veteran's hospital.
    Those fine people sincerely appreciate it. Some have been forgotten and abandoned by their family members.