Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Third knob still pointless! Help!

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by TangerineDog, Nov 27, 2017.

1. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    I don't need a blender!

I thought I had it all when I found a split shaft rotary switch. It'd have been perfect - turn the second tone knob to switch between series and parallel operation in positions 2 and 4, don't ever have the knob sticking out..
    But it doesn't work. The switch seems to be of such abysmal quality that I had to scrap that approach (I've tried everything. Everything! To make it work. It just gulps 90% of the signal) and it's the only one of its kind with something that vaguely resembles a reasonable price tag, so I'm back to a push-pull pot with a pot part I don't have any use for.

I want master tine and volume, so what the hell is there to do for the third knob? Again, I don't need a blender and Mr Dan Armstrong had some good ideas, but his mod gives me more options than I want!

So yeah, I'm kinda out of ideas... :oops: please help me?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    abnormaltoy likes this.

2. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 9, 2015
    France
    Just do nothing and get a pickguard with 2 pot holes ?

I use master vol and tone too. I don't really need a blender, but I like to have one anyhow.

3. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Strat-O-Master

Feb 13, 2014
    AZ

4. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    Put a dummy pot and a dummy knob in there and rock on. Someday, you might change your mind and go back to stock wiring. Probably 95% of all guitars have stock wiring. I checked that statistic with simoncroft, who is a genius mathematician, as well as a brilliant musician!

Bodean likes this.

5. TangerineDog

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    I have thought about both options, but they wouldn't keep the stock appearance. Also, this PG with only 2 holes would need to be custom cut for me and that'd clock in at 8 to 10 hours worth of work for me, and that's not worth it.
    I actually only want the switch part of the push/ pull pot, sure, but that means I'd have a knob on there doing nothing and that bugs me.
    Yeeeah no.
    First off, I don't think that 95% of the people who wire their Strat bridge pickup to a tone control revert back to stock wiring, so some changes might just make some folks happy.
    Have you checked the rate of modded guitars being reverted back to stock state as well? Have you found that 95% of all modded guitars tend to get rewired in favor of stock wiring again?
    'cause otherwise, this really can't be compared to the problem in this thread.

Second, I have always liked master controls better and 'someday' might be some years ahead or might even never come. So no, I won't stick with a wiring I'm not happy with just because I might change my mind someday.

And even if I was to make my master tone the push/pull and plug a dummy in slot #3 - in what way would that differ from what I have now? I'd still have one pointless pot. :(

6. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Strat-Talker

Oct 25, 2017
    Nawth Alabama
    If I understand you correctly, you want a rotary "A - B" switch that replaces one of the tone knobs.

Caveat: I am not an EE. I am a taker-apart-er/put-er back together-er. However, I did work in the electronics industry and I remembered seeing a Mouser catalog once...

Mouser Electronics carries a wide variety of such stuff. I found one (P/N SR2512F, the second one) that is a rotary 2-position, 6 pole switch. It looks fairly close in size to a Strat pot, might be too big in dia, might have to hot-rod the knob to fit.

Looks like they're available as singles...$4.24. Shipping/lead time might be crazy. If it looks like what you need, a phone call couldn't hurt.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...=sGAEpiMZZMvNbjZ2WlReYnXCw5Ewy7NZRkZyrINYyuY=

[​IMG]

7. TangerineDog

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    I tried two switches that looked suspiciously like the one in the middle...
    Same wiring as with the p/p, so I'm sure that works, solder joints ok, then redone, then redone again.
    As soon as that switch was in the circuit, the sound fizzled out. Only the faintest of sizzles was left, not even tapping the pole pieces gave me more than a little tick.

Did you ever use these switches in a comparable circuit?

8. stratobiker

stratobiker Senior Stratmaster

Sep 16, 2011
    France

9. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Strat-Talker

Oct 25, 2017
    Nawth Alabama
    No, I just remembered that the Mouser catalog was huge and went looking for what you wanted. Like I said, I'm not an EE so I don't know if that switch would be suitable or not.

What about an S1 switch? The kind that come with the Fender HSS Deluxe. That gives you the switching you want and the form factor.

10. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Thread derailer Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson
    This is the last Strat I had, it's been a few years.
    I forget exactly how it was wired...but it was off the wall weird. It had different caps and a 1 meg volume pot. Also rather than rewire things...I swapped the middle and neck pickup positions n the pick guard and kept their wiring the same. That way I had the neck and bridge on in #2 and the bridge and middle on in #4.
    I hated the neck, it was a modern C, but it was a great sounding guitar.

[​IMG]

11. TangerineDog

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    I couldn't even remember which position gives me what on that guitar!
    Oh, but I love it! The color, the vintage trem, the rosewood neck, and I like C necks...

How have you lasted years without a Strat? You play a Tele instead, right?

12. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Thread derailer Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson

I did have the use of a Squier...but, then I got a great guitar, a Les Paulocaster. Gibson-ish guitars are my first choice...so it works out nicely.

I like C necks as well, but fatter mid-60's C necks.

It didn't take to long to remember everything.

Lord willing, I'll get another Strat someday, but for now...I'm grateful for what I have.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017

13. suncrush

suncrush Senior Stratmaster

Mar 25, 2014
    Pittsburgh
    I use these switches pretty regularly, and I don't think I've ever had your problem. You may have gotten the ultra-rare bad switch, or something is wired wrong. Use a continuity checker to make sure you haven't mistaken a pole for something it isn't, and if you're 100% sure you've wired it correctly, try another switch.

14. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

Feb 26, 2014
    LAS VEGAS , NV
    ^^^ suncrush makes an excellent point! ^^^
    Just Sayin'
    Gene

15. TangerineDog

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    I tried it with two switches - do you think I got two faulty ones?

Other than that, I know the wiring works 'cause I had it on a push/ pull before.
    Even now, there is sound. Just very little of it.

16. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

Put a kill switch in. Like Buckethead!
    This is on a Les Paul but it works just the same on a Strat. First use is around 1:55min in. It's the button just above the toggle switch put where the traditional layout tone pots where.

abnormaltoy likes this.

17. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

Feb 26, 2014
    LAS VEGAS , NV
    Not to "DIS" your skills, but it sure sounds like "operator error" and/or misunderstanding the lug layout/function/wiring of the switch. Been there, done that, got the Tee-Shirt!+
    Just Sayin'
    Gene

abnormaltoy likes this.

18. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Strat-O-Master

Feb 13, 2014
    AZ
    You could also put in an Artec AKA GFS boost kit. You could use A FENDER ONE, but that would need a cavity for the circuit board. the Artec kits replace a pot.

19. TangerineDog

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    Just got two more switches in the mail and lo and behold, now it works.

I checked if these new ones were any different.
    They are. Between the notches in the top and the washer, there's a little brass ball stuck in between that's conspicuously absent in the old ones.
    Also, I hear and feel a 'click' upon switching now.

Downside- that new switch is so hard to turn that I abandoned the Strat knob concept and stuck a rubber-lined barrel knob on there - it's always a pain to get these off the shafts 'cause they're so tight a fit...

Let's see if I'm happy now...

20. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Strat-Talker

Oct 25, 2017
    Nawth Alabama
    I gots one word: Chicken Head Knob. :rolleyes: Um, ok, three words: Chicken Head Knob. They gots lots of leverage...they're perfect for A/B applications and they give you that 'atomic café' look. :cool:

TangerineDog likes this.