This has to be the best Strat solo of recent times (Post 2000s)

Discussion in 'Tab & Music Forum' started by AznCaster, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Buried alive in the blues Gold Supporting Member

Snarky Puppy is outta site. I’m with OP.

2. mapleglo

mapleglo Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I really liked the band - they are very tight. And I was impressed with the drummer. The solo - didn't like the start of it, but it got better once he left the whammy bar alone.

Nadnitram likes this.
  3. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

I am old AF and a bunch of you manage to seem 50 years older than I am.

Snarky Puppy is one of my favorite bands, their roots are deep in a semi local University that has an ass kicking jazz program. They are amazing and virtuosic on every instrument in the ensemble. This was misidentified as a "solo" starting at 2:40. At 2:40 begins a ****ing amazing DRUM SOLO with the guitarist supporting, then gradually the guitar is given space to work. Best thing I have ever heard? No. Song as a whole and guitars/drums contributing appropriate work? Absolutely.

This is fusion. This is a band that has been around for over 15 years and has won multiple Grammys and played all over the world. You are welcome to your own opinions but my gosh, I find myself feeling little kinship musically with many of you based on your odd and dismissive comments.

4. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-Talker

I don't know if this counts, as the whole thing is kind of a solo!

Plus – I'm only assuming it is a Strat!

Plus Plus – those of you who know 'Maggot Brain' by 'Funkadelic' might recognise this *somewhat.

Epic :) !

AznCaster likes this.
  5. GitGeek

GitGeek Livin' After Midnight Gold Supporting Member

I thought it was a joke post/thread as well but you need to be patient as his guitar skills become apparent later in the "solo".

Still odd as hell and not my cup of tea. Thx for sharing tho.

Reminds me of a similar start to a solo from my youth. Love it to this day. Prog rock is the closest I get to fusion.

Starts at the 2:35 mark

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    Baelzebub and AznCaster like this.
  6. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

It certainly is original sounding. But sithu aye, Plini, and others can do similar sounding solos, just much more impressively.

7. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

I am a Plini fan, but I doubt Plini could function in that kind of ensemble.

8. AznCaster

AznCaster Strat-Talk Member

Thank you for all the other recommendations, I'll check them out.

My bad If I accidentally click baited some of you, I genuinely think this is something that gets better after the second or third listen. I'm just fascinated how the notes that felt "wrong" fit in so well within the song, not to mention the insane drum fills near the end of the song as well.

9. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

I post Snarky Puppy and Vulfpeck and Cory Wong and fusion this or that all the time. If you like it, you like it and you don't need to apologize if other people don't. Snarky Puppy is great, I also watch vids of the Zildjian sponsored drummers doing amazing stuff and all kinds of old and new this and that. If I feel compelled to, I post.

Baelzebub, Bob Spumoni and AznCaster like this.
  10. sssstratsss

sssstratsss Strat-O-Master

Snarky Puppy is great, but I don't listen to them for the guitars. The musicians and compositions are amazing.

11. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Have seen this many times and during that extended period of keys and drums I almost cry. :D

Edit: One of the things I have always enjoyed about the vids they put up is that they do great camera work. It's great to see the expressions on the other player's faces while other band members are taking ludicrous and dangerous solos. And when the solos are hitting points of resolution and the other band member shake theirs like "aww ****..."

12. Bob Spumoni

Bob Spumoni Strat-O-Master

Me too, though pretty often I end up focusing more on Jaco Pastorius than on the guitar player, even if he's not on the record (?). Mike Stern doesn't get nearly enough props. I like Coryell a lot. I guess I'd put Metheny down a peg: not sure why. I should probably give him a good close listening. Some of my now-favorites I didn't appreciate at first either: Charlie Rouse, McCoy Tyner, Jimmy Giuffre, Tommy Flanagan, Brubeck, Lenny Tristano, Scriabin (piano music), Shostakovich (piano music). It took a lot of concentrated listening in high school to get Coltrane, and I lost Stan Getz in the process (not a huge loss tbh)! Some I liked a lot at first have faded: Sonny Rollins, Modern Jazz Quartet, Stan Getz, SRV, Jonny Lang, Cannonball Adderly, Paul Desmond, Beethoven, Schubert, Mahler. (Felt a little guilty writing that last sentence. I'm thinking not liking Beethoven is frowned upon.)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    montemerrick likes this.
  13. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Hi, @AznCaster

As someone who is very fumbly shy, I admire anyone who has chops and gigs on an instrument.

14. Stratimimus

Stratimimus Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

Saying it's "the best" would put it at #1 rather than just in the "top 10", no? So which one is it? :confused:

Very tight band. Don't care so much for the whammy intro to the solo, but the rest is cool.

Sorry. Disqualified because he isn't using a Strat per the OPs topic. :sneaky:

Cerb likes this.
  15. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Ain't that a grand quote. I feel the same.

16. Bob Spumoni

Bob Spumoni Strat-O-Master

Yep. It's hard living in an era when great guitar players are a dime a dozen. As a rule it's gratifying, but it can be discouraging as well.

Stratbats, Baelzebub and circles like this.
  17. montemerrick

montemerrick no earthly reason why

"but that aint nothin' but ten cent lovin'" - Otis Redding.

Stratbats likes this.
  18. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

Did she complain?:whistling:

19. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

Pre-2000. But cut the guy some slack. He was dead, after all. And always at least 20 years ahead of his time. If not more.

20. AznCaster

AznCaster Strat-Talk Member

I meant this was the best for recent times and is in my top 10 of my greatest strat solo list, I have a feeling it might be a controversial opinion here though :D.

Baelzebub and montemerrick like this.