Join Strat-Talk Today

Those dingy yellow headlight lenses/What could I have to lose by trying?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by LPBlue, Sep 11, 2019.

1. LPBlue

LPBlue "That Guy", again...dammit! Strat-Talk Supporter

You know, that foggy yellow tinge that headlights take on over the years? Through equal parts boredom and beer of an afternoon, I was able to fix them much to my own surprise with things I had on hand...and by hand! The tools/supplies used were a spray bottle full of water, micro fiber towels, degreaser/cleaner for the initial clean followed by a scouring with rubbing compound followed by polishing compound and those lenses came up just like new! A few simple ingredients with just the right amount of elbow grease and...

No, I did not take pics as it was a "hey, what if?" moment and I just went to it to get it done but the result looks like new headlights. I may repeat the process tomorrow with the cordless support team and then coat them in "Nu Finish" sealer polish.

If your car has yellow eyes this could be for you!:sneaky:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  2. circles

circles humaniod life form Strat-Talk Supporter

Cool.

3bolt79 likes this.
  3. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

I've done that and will do it again, but it seems that once you have to, you have to repeat it regularly. Maybe a UV blocking coating is worn off, so the plastic ages faster once you remove it.

thxphotog, LPBlue, 3bolt79 and 2 others like this.
  4. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Senior Stratmaster

Just my opinion but I happen to like the yellow effect, easier on the eye, doese'nt blind oncoming traffic and from the driving position you never know whether they are switched on or not, always good when trying to evade the local constabulary, well I found it that wayo_O

LPBlue, 3bolt79 and Boognish like this.
  5. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

images.jpeg

LPBlue and 3bolt79 like this.
  6. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I use regular car wax on mine. It gets a bunch of the hazy stuff off

T Bone Slort and 3bolt79 like this.
  7. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Senior Stratmaster

The kits they sell have a sealer to put on when you're done. A friend of mine got into paint and body stuff and did his headlights and cleared them afterward. They hold much better that way.

3bolt79, Sarnodude and Triple Jim like this.
  8. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Interesting... I could see putting a coat of Spraymax 2K on them next time I'm using it for something else and have some left over. Good idea!

3bolt79 likes this.
  9. Edbso

Edbso Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

3M rubbing compound works well too.

10. roadhog96

roadhog96 Strat-O-Master

I like the old style headlights better, you know the ones that were made from glass not plastic. Never had to buff them to keep them looking clear and they didn’t cost a fortune to replace. Go price what replacement lens cost for a newer car.

LPBlue, 3bolt79 and Triple Jim like this.
  11. GuitarMechanic

GuitarMechanic Most Honored Senior Member

It does look good when done but sadly, it doesn't last long until the dull uglyness comes back.

12. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    When my wife wrecked our Acura years ago the body shop replaced the broken passenger side lens but left the yellowed driver side for some reason. After procrastinating for a few years I finally got a cheap electric drill and a polishing kit and got it cleared right up. Had to use the same polishing kit when my wife backed her new Infiniti into the garage entrance a couple of weeks ago.

13. clydethecat

clydethecat Strat-Talker

Yeah, those are all nice features. But I think being able to see in the dark outweighs them.

Sealed beam headlights were awful.

thxphotog, LPBlue and 3bolt79 like this.
  14. roadhog96

roadhog96 Strat-O-Master

Thats what high beam was for. They also had glass headlights with bulbs that you could change to brighter whiter bulbs that lit up the road further ahead than sealed beams, same as the lights used today only glass lens.

3bolt79 and duzie like this.
  15. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

I agree that once I polish them clear, they seem to yellow faster next time. Never put any type of sealer on them. But on that truck, I'll probably just eventually buy new lamps anyway. Or not (it has 307,000 miles and I only use it occassionally to haul scrap, lumber and dirtbikes).
    It is amazing what a difference 10 minutes work can make.

16. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

I see those yellow headlights all the time and if it were me it would bug the crap out of me. But I thought that yellowish haze was on the inside of the lens and not the outside and that's why nobody ever cleaned them.

Guess you learn something new every day.

17. LPBlue

LPBlue "That Guy", again...dammit! Strat-Talk Supporter

Rinse and repeat! They call it "maintaining your vehicle" or some such nonsense.:whistling:

18. Phat-O-Caster

Phat-O-Caster Strat-O-Master

For a quick fix, like when selling/trading a vehicle, some Off bug spray or WD-40 will make weathered lenses look good for a few days before they haze over again. Polishing works a bit longer but not much.

19. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Strat-Talker

my brother did the same thing with the nephew's car using baking soda and water on a microcloth. I thought he had bought new headlights

LPBlue likes this.
  20. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

One time I bought a used car that had some body repair work done. Apparently the previous owner had put aftermarket headlights on it, but the shop had to replace one of the headlights due to the repair work. They only replaced one headlight with a stock-looking headlight and left the other aftermarket headlight in there. Seemed a little weird to have mismatching headlights.. Eventually I bought a pair of matching headlights to put in it. I went with halo headlights - The car was a 2001 Volkswagen GTI. The headlights looked like this on it, except the car was green:
    [​IMG]

I also thought the yellowing was on the inside. Many times, along with the yellow (or not), I also see moisture buildup inside the headlight unit. I figured headlights sometimes get a leak somewhere that lets moisture in, which contributes to yellowing inside.

Boognish likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.