Thoughts/current value of this 83 JV Squier

JonnyBGood

Strat-Talker
Mar 16, 2019
Uk
Looking at buying this, after haggling seller will take £750. Seller says the pickup switch has been changed but all else is original. Detailed pics, not sure what those holes in the headstock would be caused by?

JonnyBGood

Strat-Talker
Mar 16, 2019
Uk
Well in the time it took me to post this the seller has withdrawn, as the guitar he was hoping to buy is no longer available (and was the only reason he was letting the JV go).
:(

Tsjackson

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 15, 2016
UK
For what it’s worth, while that’s not a bad price at all (I’m no expert on JV squiers but I do keep a beady eye on how much stuff is going for in the U.K.) I think if you were buying it as an investment the holes in the headstock would’ve held it back in that respect.

If you were buying it as a good guitar I personally think there are better guitars to be had for that money, although without the historical significance.

If you were buying it because it’s a cool piece of fenders history I feel for you. But then I’d be looking for a nice tokai springy sound, and then never look back haha

JonnyBGood

Strat-Talker
Mar 16, 2019
Uk
For what it’s worth, while that’s not a bad price at all (I’m no expert on JV squiers but I do keep a beady eye on how much stuff is going for in the U.K.) I think if you were buying it as an investment the holes in the headstock would’ve held it back in that respect.

If you were buying it as a good guitar I personally think there are better guitars to be had for that money, although without the historical significance.

If you were buying it because it’s a cool piece of fenders history I feel for you. But then I’d be looking for a nice tokai springy sound, and then never look back haha
Funnily enough, I am also on the look out for a reasonably priced Tokai of the same era. :)

Number of reasons really - build quality, reputation, I prefer older/played in guitars to shiny new ones...

somebodyelseuk

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 29, 2022
Birmingham UK
The original switch would have been a three position, so that being changed is faiir enough, the holes in the head would have been for some sort of locking device at the nut. If it were me, I would have walked away from it. £750's a fair price for it without the holes, but there sre enough of them around to leave this one.
For what it's worth, you could get a Tokai of the same year for less, and get a better guitar.

Last edited:

JonnyBGood

Strat-Talker
Mar 16, 2019
Uk
£750's a fair price for it without the holes, but there sre enough of them around to leave this one.
For what it's worth, you could get a Tokai of the same year for less, and get a better guitar.

Re the JV I see them on Ebay, Reverb and Facebook usually for £900+, £750 was the best I have seen for a long while. Where are you seeing better condition ones at this kind of price?

And yes I'm very open to the Tokai suggestion, but again I am not seeing much around that's in good condition for less than this - locally there's a Springy with corroded saddles for 750, a Goldstar with corrupted decal for 600 and 900 for a '78 Springy :(

3bolt79

Dr. Stratster
Oct 16, 2018
Oregon
It looks like somebody put a string clamp on it, or it came with one and it is missing. For that price I would rather have honest play wear and no extra holes.

Tsjackson

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 15, 2016
UK
£750 with that defaced headstock?

That is currently $912 USD.

I would have passed on that one.
Stuff like that is expensive in the U.K., asking is often well over £1k regardless of condition or originality… not to say that they ever get the asking price but £750 for that I wouldn’t have said at the moment was too bad.

Tsjackson

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 15, 2016
UK
Re the JV I see them on Ebay, Reverb and Facebook usually for £900+, £750 was the best I have seen for a long while. Where are you seeing better condition ones at this kind of price?

And yes I'm very open to the Tokai suggestion, but again I am not seeing much around that's in good condition for less than this - locally there's a Springy with corroded saddles for 750, a Goldstar with corrupted decal for 600 and 900 for a '78 Springy :(
Stuff like that is expensive in the U.K. at the moment, decent springy sounds could be had for £500-£700 a few years ago but they’ve shot up, as has everything else… I think £750 wasn’t too bad a price and if I’d been in your shoes I probably would’ve gone for it.

The old silver stars are sometimes for sale for not bad money, although theyve gone up too and obviously 70s style instead of 50s/60s

Ebidis

Providing the world with flat bends since 1985
Nov 14, 2013
Alabama
Stuff like that is expensive in the U.K., asking is often well over £1k regardless of condition or originality… not to say that they ever get the asking price but £750 for that I wouldn’t have said at the moment was too bad.
JV Strats are rare as hens teeth in the US, that doesn't mean I'm willing to pay that much for one. That's just me.

Anything is worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it.

gotzz

Strat-Talker
Aug 28, 2010
Croatia
If there weren't those holes on the headstock, 1000€ easily in europe.
I'd buy that over any AVRI anytime for example.
1000 gbp is too much for JV only to those who never tried any.

Stu78

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 20, 2019
Scotland

Get a Silver Star, there's more out there. Pricies are more reasonable.

JonnyBGood

Strat-Talker
Mar 16, 2019
Uk
Get a Silver Star, there's more out there. Pricies are more reasonable.
Well thats an interesting suggestion, yes I have seen a few of these about selling in the £4-500 range, and I had dismissed them as being inferior guitars (there seems to be a view that quality goes from Springy Sound>Goldstar>Silver Star) yet a quick bit of research casts doubt on that assumption and I see that at least some models had Alnico pickups, and higher spec Silver Stars had brass saddles.

Neck is the most important consideration for me - what is the neck profile of Silver Stars, say compared to the ubiquitous Fender modern C (which I dont like) and are the Springys/Goldstars any different?

Also radius and fret size, are the Silver Stars vintage frets and 7.25 radius like the Springys/Goldstars?

Stu78

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 20, 2019
Scotland
Well thats an interesting suggestion, yes I have seen a few of these about selling in the £4-500 range, and I had dismissed them as being inferior guitars (there seems to be a view that quality goes from Springy Sound>Goldstar>Silver Star) yet a quick bit of research casts doubt on that assumption and I see that at least some models had Alnico pickups, and higher spec Silver Stars had brass saddles.

Neck is the most important consideration for me - what is the neck profile of Silver Stars, say compared to the ubiquitous Fender modern C (which I dont like) and are the Springys/Goldstars any different?

Also radius and fret size, are the Silver Stars vintage frets and 7.25 radius like the Springys/Goldstars?
Now there's a question! The radius will be 7.25, not sure about the shape of the neck or frets though @felis may be able to answer that one. Probably depends on the model.