Join Strat-Talk Today

Thoughts on my first pedal board before I commit to it

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by ozshadow, Dec 3, 2019.

1. ozshadow

ozshadow Strat-Talk Member

This would be my first pedal board.

It would mostly be for a Tele and Strat (single coils) going into a PRRI for home use only - just me.

Playing Country (everything from classic Alabama to current music), 90s Alternative, Classic Rock (Skynyrd, AC/DC), and would like to try more SRV/Hendrix/Mayer although that is brand new for me - I really like the boosted clean sound. Not into metal or shredding at all.

Considering one of the Pedaltrain Classic boards with a Pedal Power X4 mounted under it – thoughts on this power supply?

Pedals and order:

Polytone 3 (to be purchased)

Wampler Tumnus (buying today – deciding between regular and deluxe)

Tubescreamer (own – have the old Soundtank to get by with)

May add a BD2 variation, a Fuzz Face Hendrix mini, and/or Catalinbread DLS at some point

Ego Compressor (to be purchased soon – deciding between regular and mini)

Boss DD7 (have)

May add an analog delay at some point

Boss RC1 (have – may add a switch)

Nick-O likes this.
  2. chrose1201

chrose1201 Strat-Talk Member

I looked at several boards to replace my monster that I made... After looking at all the boards available I decided on a https://www.templeaudio.com/ Duo 24. I had my own power supply so I just needed to get the AC mains micro module and I was ready to go. Takes a little work to set up and the pieces and parts ain't cheap, but it works for me.

Tone Deaf likes this.
  3. Nick-O

Nick-O Strat-O-Master

In power supply, assuming you are in it for the long haul, get a decent sized brick. In the future if you expand your board, you don't need to be having to replace big ticket items. You want a couple of outlets at 500mA or better, something along those lines.
    Sounds like the beginning of a great adventure. I love building pedalboards!

4. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

I’d put the conpressor earlier. That’s my personal taste. Do you want to compress and overdriven (already compressed somewhat) tone or overdrive a compressed signal?

Tone Deaf likes this.
  5. ozshadow

ozshadow Strat-Talk Member

I was flip flopping on this more than anything else. Likely that decision will be made after I buy the compressor and can experiment.

6. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Unless the name PedalTrain means something to you, I bought a Donner board on Amazon: exactly like a pedal train, just half the price.

Also, take a look at the Cioks power supplies. I found one in their line that suited me better than any else, and it's stupid quiet.

7. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Senior Stratmaster

This week, I bought a Temple Duo 24 ( with all trimmings ) and a Cioks-7 PS, and a Peterson Strobostomp HD tuner.
    I like the Temple method of securing pedals over the Pedaltrain with velcro as I have a LOT of pets that shed all over. The Velcro is a dirt and hair magnet.
    Got to start the build and transfer some pedals.

I think you will end up with your Compressor as your first in chain just after your tuner.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.