Thoughts on the Acoustasonic?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by Joelski, May 18, 2020.

1. Joelski

Joelski Strat-Talk Member

I gave in to the hype; I shouldn't be locked down, unattended, with the means to shop! Anyway, I've been looking at this since it came out. Read a hundred reviews, watched for sales that will never happen with the popularity of the guitar. I pulled the trigger and am waiting on it to get here and noticed the name doesn't come up on a general topic search here. I have a decent acoustic, so it's not taking the place of a fundamental piece of any guitar player's tool set. I'm genuinely intrigued by the capabilities and potential this presents and was just wondering if anybody had experience, good or bad to share. Let'r rip!

fos1, Bcorig and guitarchaeologist like this.
  2. bsman

bsman Strat-O-Master

I'd love to check one out. I had a Godin Acousticaster, which is similar, but would really like to check out one of the Fenders. I personally like the tele-shaped one best. For some reason, that shape - at least to me - engenders less cognitive dissonance than a strat-shaped acoustic...

3. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Papa Americano Silver Member

I remain intrigued.

4. Dougeryb

Dougeryb Strat-O-Master

Ive heard nothing but really good things. Cant wait to try one.

fos1 likes this.
  5. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

What i dont get with this model is that it doesnt have a specialty....you get neither a great acoustic or a great electric sound...i understand the jack of all trades master of none kinda thing but if thats the case,a strat with a piezo system is way better cause you have the great electric sound +the decent acoustic sound whenever you need it.

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  6. Malurkey

Malurkey Senior Stratmaster

I’ve played one in the store and it feels really nice and light.

I think @mapleglo has one and uses it to gig with.

mapleglo likes this.
  7. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Strat-O-Master

I was very surprised by the price.

I just assumed they were a MIM offering around the £700 mark for some reason?!

What colour did you get?

8. mapleglo

mapleglo Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

giggingacousta.jpg

Gigging with my Acoustisonic this past Halloween. I like the guitar. @Dreamdancer is right - it's not a great acoustic or a great electric, but instead, a guitar that spans the two. It plays like an electric, but fills the sound of an acoustic and can switch to an electric sound with the flick of a switch.

There are only two things I don't like about it. Since it's an active system, it uses a battery. But it's not replaceable - instead, you charge it via a USB cable. So no last minute 9v battery changes if it goes dead. You have to plug it in. Personally, I'd prefer a battery. And second, it came with a gig bag. Granted, it's a nice gig bag, but at an MRP of 2 grand, it should have a hard case. They make one now specifically for this line. It does NOT fit in a standard Elite style hard case. It's slightly oversized. But it does just fit into a wood style case. I use this one:

case.jpg

Here's a pic of the charging port:

AcoustasonicTele03.jpg

And the guitar:

AcoustasonicTele01.jpg

Scooter and fos1 like this.
  9. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

I have no interest in them whatsoever. Totally not my thing.

Doug B likes this.
  10. Bcorig

Bcorig Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I had a chance to play one - crouched down and unplugged - at 2019 NAMM. The neck reminds me of the one on my Ovation thin bodY Legend. Easy to play, good action, for a guitar I took off the wall in the Fender booth. BTW, I think they tuned the entire wall. Good for them

11. mattocaster

mattocaster Strat-Talker Silver Member

I had one a few years ago. It was kinda like a 12 string for me. Really fun when you first get it but after a few weeks it just sits on a stand.

12. Scooter

Scooter Strat-Talk Member

Actually, no you didn't :)

You had the older version. These just came out last year, based on completely different tech.

Stratoskater likes this.
  13. Scooter

Scooter Strat-Talk Member

I got one not long after they came out, despite all of the *****ing and moaning about how ugly and overpriced they are. The short story is that I went back to a real acoustic. I don't think they're bad guitars and they were fairly well executed, but as with any instrument they're a tool to meet a certain need. I bought it as a gigging instrument and I did about 20-30 gigs with it if I recall correctly.

The pros:
    • It sounded pretty good to good plugged in. For acoustic tones, that is.
    • It was very comfortable to wear and play for a three hour gig.

The cons, and these are just from my own perspective and needs:
    • The "Tele" sounds were very lacking compared to an actual Tele. While I expected that to some degree, I could never get it to sound right. I tried various solutions with strings, pedals, and EQ, and even plugged into a Deluxe Reverb it didn't come close. And everything I tried to make the electric tones sound better caused the acoustic tones to suffer.
    • I never got along with the .11 gauge strings. I like .12s or .13s on my acoustics and they just never felt right for acoustic music.
    • All the tonal variations and the blend knob were cool, but in a real world gigging situations a lot of those subtleties were lost.
    • As a gigging instrument, the need to charge it is a bit of a drawback. More than once I'd realize just a few hours before a gig that I needed to charge it. I never ran into the situation where I completely forgot to charge it but I could see where it could happen.
    • It sounded terrible through a traditional guitar amp. It needs to go direct or into an acoustic amp to get the most out of the acoustic tones.

In the end I realized it was a guitar of many compromises, all of which were necessary to its intended design to make it "a little of this and a little of that". However, for me it was neither a great acoustic or a great (or even good) electric. I could see where it could work for some people and for some projects. It didn't work for me. And yeah, given that it isn't really stellar at executing either, I have to agree with the perspective that it's a bit too expensive. For $2k I expected it to be better. I wouldn't mind paying the price if it delivered the goods but it fell short.

When I went back to acoustic I was struck by how much better it sounded. I think the Acoustasonic's acoustic tones are solid and interesting, but they don't compare to the real thing. Nor should I or anyone else expect them to be.

14. mapleglo

I should add that it's extremely light weight. Very comfortable to wear.

And yeah, I've been playing my Ovation acoustic more and more - it's does sound better if you are looking for that true acoustic sound.

fos1 likes this.
  15. fos1

fos1 Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Has anyone been able to play the Strat version? According to the ads, it has been enhanced. (?)

16. mapleglo

I have not played the Strat version, but from the demos I've seen, it's pretty close to the Tele version. Another plus to this guitar, is that it sounds surprising good unplugged.

17. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

Ive played both the Tele and the Strat versions. I see 0 point in these things. As others stated it’s not a great acoustic sound (actually to me it’s sounds like a toy unplugged) and is only a half decent electric sound. Add to this that you have to charge the thing and to me it’s a fad guitar that will likely leave the lineup in a couple years. My GC has had the Tele on the wall for 6+ months and couldn’t sell it. The manager there even offered me $300 off if I wanted to buy it and I just smiled and said no thanks.

18. CigBurn

CigBurn Total Hack

Tried the tele version at GC in feb. Didn't bond with it at all so put it back.

Edit: Might have been January... don't hate me

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    Stratoskater likes this.
  19. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Senior Stratmaster

First saw them at the last NAMM show and I thought they were interesting..but not for that price. There was an Italian maker there who had a solidbody that had a dial on it with an LED display which allowed you to dial select the specific make and model of guitar you wanted to sound like..acoustic or electric with about 100 different ones if I remember correctly... As I remember it was about half the cost of the Acoustasonic.

20. Jason D

Jason D Senior Stratmaster

I’d love to try one...then put it back on the rack, because there’s no way I’m spending 2 Grand on one.