Thoughts on the Acoustasonic?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by Joelski, May 18, 2020.

1. Frijole

Frijole Strat-Talk Member

That's my worry about this guitar too. It takes some serious craftsmanship to make a good sounding acoustic guitar and the acoustasonic's body is so shallow I can't imagine it making a good acoustic tone. If it can't make the acoustic tone, then why bother?

Stratoskater and Dreamdancer like this.
  2. tanta07

tanta07 Strat-O-Master

Those weird me out, because about 25 years ago, around 1994-ish, I contacted a local guitar maker about making me that EXACT electric/acoustic hybrid. Same body design, same neck, everything. I was young and impatient so I never saw the project through, but it freaks me out to see the guitar I had in my head a reality these days

3. JoeZeppy412

JoeZeppy412 New Member!

I bought the Strat a couple weeks ago. For me it was the right tool for the job. I'm in an acoustic duo playing in small bars where we're lucky to get a 10 x 6 area to set up in, so I bring my Taylor 314 and a strat. We play and sing through Fishman Loudboxes, and I have a small pedalboard. I only use the strat for about 3 or 4 songs, but I like having it. I'm also starting to use more alternate tunings, and some songs my partner insist on doing in Eb, so I'm tuning down.

So do I bring 2 acoustics and an electric? for $50 a gig? Lol, no, and nowhere to put them if I did. I havent had a chance to gig with it yet, but its fun to play. Its loud acoustically, but yeah it sounds like a cigar box, no low end at all. Through my Voicetone XT it sounds pretty good, and I'm now trying running it through an old Ashly parametric eq preamp I have from my bass playing days.

I cut the mids 6 db at 800 Hz, roll off the highs at 3k and the lows at arounf 40 hz, and it sounds pretty good, so I'll probably pick up a floor mounted parametric of some sort. I'm a little disappointed they didn't tune the sounds a little richer given that its basically a modeler, but out of the box its playable.

Does it sound as good as my Taylor? No, but its solid, way easier to shred jazzy blues runs on over Moondance, and easier on my hands after a couple hours playing. After a little while with the looper, I forget I'm not playing a real acoustic, so I'm betting it'll be perfect on the gig.

Just saying its stupid out of context is the same as saying an 8 string Ibanez super strat in drop tuning is stupid. Sure it is if you're in a blues band.

Scooter, Frijole and mapleglo like this.
  4. Joelski

Joelski Strat-Talk Member

That may have been the previous Acoustasonic. This model just came out falling winter NAMM 2019. I opted for the sonic gray model and I've been pleased with it. Sounds seem to be influenced by the brand of string and I've found that the D'Addario nickel plated phosphor bronze give it and electric feel without altering its acoustic sound, or overpowering the guitar. After trying several brands, these have settled as the best sounding.

5. mapleglo

mapleglo Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I have a set of EB Earthwood extra light gauge strings on mine.

earthwood strings.jpg

These sound pretty good on my Ovation, though I have a set of light gauge (11's) on an almost identical Ovation and it sounds better. They don't sound so good on the Acoustasonic. I'll have to try a set of the D'Addario's. What gauge are you using?

6. Joelski

Joelski Strat-Talk Member

11- 52's

7. Scooter

Scooter Strat-Talk Member

I have to add this. They are not meant or designed to sound anything like an actual acoustic guitar when played unplugged. I'm not a defender of the Acoustasonic (I'm a former owner, see my post above) but I'm astounded when I see posts here and elsewhere that complain about its unplugged sound. And I've seen several, and that leaves me really scratching my head. Look at the body, look at the depth, look at the construction. Really? How could anyone expect it to sound anything like other than what it is? The fact that you can sit on the sofa and hear any sort of acoustic volume is really just a convenience, and I think Fender admits as much.

8. SoulSurfer

SoulSurfer Strat-Talker

I used to have a Taylor T5z Custom Pro for a while. The finish was just so beautiful that I was always worried when playing live. The ONE thing I detested, was trying to control the howling feedback from the piezo, even when using the humbucker. I eventually sold it. I did play around in the store (before COVID19) with the "Acousticaster" and really liked it. Particularly the mini-USB charging port.

Does anyone know if the USB is also used for communicating with a pc for recording, etc? League of Rock 2017-2.jpeg

9. mapleglo

mapleglo Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I think the USB port is only for charging.

To reduce on-stage feedback with acoustics, I've used the TC Electronic BodyRes with good results.

miniboard copy.jpg