Thoughts on this 2012 50s Classic Player

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by JonnyBGood, Sep 5, 2021.

1. JonnyBGood

JonnyBGood Strat-Talker

I just nabbed this for what is a good price in the UK:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-C...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Features look correct to me - pickguard, truss rod access, neckplate etc. Obviously no shots of the guts. Owner says he bought it new and states no mods have been made. Serial no. submitted to Fender support to check. Looks unplayed for a while, grubby and needs a clean.

-My first question is about the plastics, I thought the Classic Players always had aged white/cream coloured pickup covers and knobs?

-Second question is about those tuners, zoom in and they look wonky/misaligned in places, some of those screws look worn to em also. Is there an issue with these?

-Would have preferred a better shot of the bridge, can't tell whether things are a little wonky?

Chmason85 likes this.
  2. davidrf

davidrf Strat-O-Master

The listing has ended so you can't see any of the photos!

3. Kester

Kester Senior Stratmaster

I can see them. I think you're right about the plastics, someone else will confirm I'm sure. Everything else looks fine, the tuners are wonky but the previous owner probably just fiddled for some reason and didn't get them straight. The intonation could be out as well looking at the saddles, but an easy fix. It's a nice burst and even if someone has changed the electrics you got it for a good price so I don't think you can lose.

JonnyBGood likes this.
  4. JonnyBGood

JonnyBGood Strat-Talker

Sure you can. You can review any ended listing on Ebay, might have to click a link that says 'see original listing' but its all there.

Thanks Kester, that's reassuring. If the pickups have been changed it will be returned as that's not the way it was described and I want those nice vintage voiced pickups! 57/62 I believe.

Kester likes this.
  5. Skinny Nitro

Skinny Nitro Senior Stratmaster

JonnyBGood likes this.
  6. JonnyBGood

JonnyBGood Strat-Talker

As I thought then, thats odd.

7. JonnyBGood

JonnyBGood Strat-Talker

OK the guitar has arrived, Fender confirmed the serial number. having a look inside the body cavity there's a few things I want to check out though:

-Could someone please verify these are indeed 57/62 pickups and the electrics look as they should?
    -Why the round hole in the body towards top right?? Looks like a cavity to house a switch of some sort.

cavity.jpg cavity.jpg pick1.jpg pick2.jpg pick3.jpg pick4.jpg

8. totost

totost Strat-Talker

everything on the pics is ok, i had one cp 50, can you post some pics of the neck

9. JonnyBGood

JonnyBGood Strat-Talker

Thanks the original listing below has more pics of the neck but the serial no. checks out with Fender and there's nothing that concerns me. I just wanted to check the pickups hadn't been changed and wondered what that round hole was for?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-C...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

10. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

The round hole is a tooling or locator hole for when the body was being manufactured. It's of no consequence.

Just loosen the tuner screws, line up the tuners with a straight edge, the tighten the screws. They're probably all wonky and beat up at the "slots" because they're those terrible lockers that Gotoh made for a while. They're easy to string, but require pliers, screwdriver, and a colorful vocabulary to get the strings out of them. I couldn't get rid of them fast enough on my CP50s. Fender vintage split-shafts fit perfectly and work well if you string them correctly.

"Hardly ever used" may be questionable, although it doesn't truely matter. There's enough fret wear that it may have been played more than stated, or it was played with very little relief in the neck.

In any case, these are fine guitars and everything that a Strat should be and sound like.

11. JonnyBGood

JonnyBGood Strat-Talker

Ah! *forehead slap*

Yes, I am already hating them having just restrung the guitar. Most awkward tuners I've come across. Thanks for your input and for answering my next question, which was going to be 'what decent tuners can I put in here that won't look a mess by leaving holes everywhere'. :)

12. archetype

Whack!

You need Fender branded Ping tuners, used on a bazillion Fender Strat and Tele models. Be sure to measure your tuner shafts, but I'm sure these are the ones I used with my CP 50s. They should fit your existing bushings that are already pressed into the headstock. They're findable for one or two Dollars less, but I like to deal with Darren Riley for his/their excellent customer service:

https://darrenriley.com/store/fender-ping-nickel-vintage-tuners-with-bushings-0047912049/

JonnyBGood likes this.
  13. archetype

Ah... you're not in the USA. There are UK/EU sources.

JonnyBGood likes this.
  14. JonnyBGood

JonnyBGood Strat-Talker

15. Chmason85

Chmason85 Strat-Talker

Awesome gui
    awesome guitar! I had a shoreline gold 50s classic player. The pickups and knobs are lightly yellowed but the pickguard on those is a stark white single ply 8 hole version. The tuner posts are significantly shorter because they are locking. They look exactly like the vintage ones but they lock… and they’re awesome. The neck shape on those is one of the best I’ve played, I regret parting mine out and giving the neck to some dude. It’s a nice mildly thick soft V with a 9.5” radius, probably my favorite radius.

JonnyBGood likes this.
  16. archetype

I've got a 2012 in Shorline Gold and it's a fine, fine guitar.

If it matters to you, the stark white pickguard is correct with a typical 50s Strat, even though the other plastics aged to darker colors.

Chmason85 and JonnyBGood like this.