Tim Shaw vs the Custom Shop

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by hardwired, Jul 4, 2019.

1. cornbread

cornbread Strat-Talker

this video made me buy an elite with shawbucker

Brian H likes this.
  2. JP68

JP68 Strat-Talker

I liked the Shawbucker in the bridge of the Am Pro Strat I played, but ultimately get more use of of the single coil of my Am Std.

I was super excited at the demos of the Am Pro Tele Deluxe I heard, and got to play one yesterday and was very disappointed. The whole guitar seemed stiff. It was used and the previous owner had the pickups set funny and I couldn't adjust them, so maybe that accounts for my displeasure, but the guitar was lifeless. I was really surprised.

3. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

I did try one of the Shawbucker Strats when they came out. I was a bit underwhelmed. It wasn't terrible by any means but it didn't really inspire me either

4. JP68

JP68 Strat-Talker

I feel a little bad saying this, but of all the Am Pros I've tried, Tele or Strat, only one felt, played, and sounded like a top of the line guitar. If I compare them to my Am Stds there's no competition. My MIM Deluxe Roadhouse was half the $ as an Am Pro, and feels as nice, if not better. On the other hand, I've saved a lot of money!

5. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

I enjoy his comparison videos.
    You absolutely can't use Youtube, even with headphones, to know what something will sound like in your home/studio/stage. There's just too much compression and frequency limitation to preserve bandwidth.
    But his comparison videos are a good "back and forth" and do allow for a pretty good evaluation of the differences between the two (or more) compared items. It was his video that made me more comfortable with my selection of Vintage Noiseless for a couple of Partscaster builds.

6. hardwired

hardwired Strat-Talker

I haven't watched every video but I don't see him peddling gear. He does sell some tabs on Etsy and I believe he teaches music lessons. The YouTube ad dollars probably makes him a few bucks up in the cold tundra of Canada.

Just seems like a guitar gear head. His amp is discontinued, mods guitars, has gas like the rest of us and able to balance and dispel the marketing myths for viewers.

I'd say he's a bad salesman except his 5 guitars every one has to have led me to buy a Tele and a Strat.

7. jwj1701

jwj1701 Strat-O-Master Silver Member

I’m not saying I don’t like the humbucker, I do I’m fact like it better than the single coil bridge pick up. I’m still getting used to the sound compared to a standard single bridge pup. PS. You may already know but The elite has what fender refers to as a passing lane button that cuts off the other electronics and all you get is the raw shawbucker, and it does have some gas. It’s just taking Me longer than I thought it would to get used to it.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  8. StratorTrle

StratorTrle Strat-Talk Member

I'm obsessed with the Pickups in my Vintera Modified 50s stratocaster. The shaw hot 56 pickups they call them.. They sound magical. I have them set lower and omg they are amazing. They are everything a strat pickup should be. Bridge handles gain like a champ. I literally use every position and the S-1 switch positions. I will never swap these. I'm addicted to this strat. These are perfect for me. I'm not a huge fan of most of his pickups but the hot pickups in the Vintera modified 50s are a home run. IMO not everybody's cup of tea.

9. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Strat-O-Master

I owned two Gibson ES-335 Studios (no f-holes) - early 80's vintage. I bought and sold/traded one and a year later bought another. They both had the "factory" pickups that were supposed to be Tim Shaw's recreation of a PAF.

They were dull and uninspiring. Changing pickups in a Gibson semi-hollow body guitar is a chore. The factory wiring was so well done, I chose not to mess with it and wound up selling the second. If I was serious about playing that guitar, I would have changed the pickups to a Rio Grande Texas/BBQ set, but that's all behind me now.

My current HH guitar is a Fender Custom Telecaster FMT HH (made in Korea). It specs more like a LP than a tele - set neck, full binding, two HB's. The pickups are special order SD's, a RWRP SH-1 at the neck and a "Pearly Gates Plus" at the bridge. The PGP is just an overwound SH-1 (alnico 2 mags) vs the standard Pearly Gates that uses alnico 5 mags. The push-pull tone control taps the inner coils of the HB's and I find myself playing them as much as the HB's straight.

10. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Guitar Player

I find him to be completely unwatchable in general.

I do like Shaw pickups, though. I have them in SSS, HSS, and HH Strats.

RonV66 and CB91710 like this.