Time to start today's Strat project

Danny D

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 2, 2019
The swampy desert.
Hi Everyone!

It's time to start a project I've put off since July. I'm replacing the stock pickups in this 2007 ASD with a prewired Mojotone pickguard ('58 Quiet Coil with Hot Bridge). Except for normal intonation and neck adjustments, I haven't worked under the hood of a guitar in twenty years. Nervous about diving in, I've just been staring at the guitar for about 30 minutes.

The wiring is super clean. I couldn't have done this in three lifetimes.

As luck would have it, I don't own a wire stripper to strip back the wires to the recommended 1/4". Time to head to Harbor Freight. It doesn't look hard to do at all but caution abounds right now.

Here are a few photos.

Strat 1.JPG Strat 2.JPG Strat 3.JPG Strat 3.JPG

Danny D

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 2, 2019
The swampy desert.
Those look like cloth wires? If so you can just slide the cloth back..

Yes! I didn't realize that at first. They have cloth wires pre-wired to the jack. I also didn't know how easy it was to manipulate the cloth.
The project came out fine except for one thing. The 4th position produces hardly any sound at all. Every position works as advertised except for the neck/middle combination. I plan to call Mojotone tomorrow for trouble shooting options or warranty service.

I was so stoked too. That's why I never work on guitars.

Siameser

Strat-Talker
Feb 27, 2021
Muskegon, Michigan
I definitely like the white pickguard better than the mother-of-toilet-seat that was on there.

Bummer that the 4th position isn't working right. I don't mind doing a job, but I HATE having to do it over.

Danny D

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 2, 2019
The swampy desert.
I definitely like the white pickguard better than the mother-of-toilet-seat that was on there.

Bummer that the 4th position isn't working right. I don't mind doing a job, but I HATE having to do it over.

Thank you. Yes, I like it so much more as well. I bought a multi-meter today and have narrowed the problem down to the switch. It has to be the switch. Everything works perfectly except that one position. Cold solder joint maybe? I'm just afraid to start soldering on this impeccably wired product for fear of invalidating the warranty.
The entire assembly will have to be send back I suppose.
Thank you for your reply!
Danny

Danny D

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 2, 2019
The swampy desert.
Is the green thing a quick connect to the jack wires?
Hi @Exhead. Yes it is. It's truly easy to install but the green thing also seems like the first part that could fail. After I get through to MojoTone I'm going to ask them if a drop of solder in there is a good or bad idea.

The pickups sound so much better than the ones I took out. Here's a picture of the rat's nest that was removed.
Thank you for the reply!

Strat.rat's.nest.JPG

Murdog

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
May 7, 2021
U.S.A.
Like the new pickguard. I've always liked the plain white ones best. I do have a Olympic white partscaster with a tortoise shell which I do like (kinda grows on you).

Danny D

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 2, 2019
The swampy desert.
Like the new pickguard. I've always liked the plain white ones best. I do have a Olympic white partscaster with a tortoise shell which I do like (kinda grows on you).
That's a good look. I recently saw a picture in a Fender ad of that combo. Agree about the white vs. mother of toilet seat.