Join Strat-Talk Today

Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by MrKrabs, Jun 9, 2018.

1. MrKrabs

MrKrabs Strat-Talker

I recently attended an extremely loud metal concert front row, very stupidly not wearing any ear protection. After the concert, I had the normal ringing and muffled hearing, but I assumed it would go away by the morning like it usually does. I’ve only had a ring once or twice, and it went away within a few hours. However, it has been about 36 hours since the concert, and the ringing is still there, only slightly better than before. So my question is, how long has ringing lasted for any of you, and will I have to deal with this for a much longer time? From now on, I’m wearing earplugs at every show too.

ocean and abnormaltoy like this.
  2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Tinnitus is completely unpredictable, it could go away in hours, days, weeks, months, years or never. It depends on the amount of damage that's been done. Hopefully yours will go away with time.

3. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Mine has never gone away...
    But
    It wasn't music that did it...
    I started racing open class motocross in an era before silencers were required...
    My first ride was a 70 TM400 115db x 4 hrs a day practice...
    However
    I did get quite smoked and stood in from of the speakers at a Leslie West concert...
    Functionally deaf 3+ days...
    Had a car battery detonate 12" from my face...
    2 weeks...

Tinnitus is mine to have and hold...o_O

RB522, ocean, abnormaltoy and 2 others like this.
  4. Tube ToneChaser

Tube ToneChaser Strat-O-Master

Tinnitus IS unpredictable. Hearing protection is the key. There are lots of good hearing protection products on the market. Many of them don't give you that 'stopped up' feeling like traditional foam earplugs do. Check 'em out; I'm sure you'll find some that work best for you.

5. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

MrKrabs, do start using plugs regularly. It gets more and more scary as the years go on.

The human ears produce extra wax in loud situations, in an attempt to protect themselves. You may find that some of what you're experiencing is from that. The correct use of an ear syringe and warm water could help if that's the case.

Interesting to learn that about you. My life involves motorcycling quite a bit.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    abnormaltoy, simoncroft and MrKrabs like this.
  6. Thrup'ny Bit

I blame mine starting on Lemmy and Co. in 1972, compounded over the next 15 years or so, until I started wearing plugs for playing and listening. It didn't really affect me badly until the mid nineties, now it drives me up the wall.

7. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

I had it for about 4 weeks fairly recently. So bad I went to a doctor. I blame it on cranking my headphones too loud. It slowly went away. I consider myself lucky, because it was not enjoyable.

Get an earwax removal kit and see if it helps.

8. MrKrabs

MrKrabs Strat-Talker

Thanks everybody for the advice. I will be using plugs in loud places for a while so my ears can heal. I’ll also check out the earwax removal to see if it helps.

rolandson, abnormaltoy and simoncroft like this.
  9. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Use them always if it's expected to get loud. You only get one set of ears.

10. newplayeroldguy

newplayeroldguy in the wind

Mine never goes away, sometimes it's worse, sometimes it's just background noise- but it never goes away.

I blame multiple things, 5" naval guns are VERY loud, so are power saws and the wind blast you get riding motorcycles. I've had major exposure to all of those, and without hearing protection.

11. RegularJim

RegularJim Strat-Talker

In a previous life, I spent a lot of time around rotating machinery. The big culprit was steam turbines in the Navy. I got a device from the VA that makes noise to mask it for bedtime or whenever you want. I particularly like the cricket sounds. It works for me. Also, it's a pretty good bluetoooth speaker. You can find them on Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MMPQAM8/?tag=strattalk05-20

12. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Senior Stratmaster

I think it would be rare to have permanent damage causing tinnitus from just one concert. I’ve been at several very loud concerts in my life and did not have protection, and never had tinnitus. What did cause permanent tinnitus, eventually, was nerve damage during ear surgery. It sucks, but I can live with it.

In your case, if it goes on, I’d go see a good ear doctor.

And yes, from now on plugs will be your good friends ;)

But I’m really hopeful that you’ll recover fully in no time.

13. radd

radd Strat-O-Master

I don’t notice mine during the day until I read a thread titled “tinnitus” ....thanks.

As others have said, unpredictable. It you still have it tonight when you try and sleep, leave a fan on in the room or something like that. I sleep with a fan on every night no matter what the temperature.

I hope yours goes away soon, if I was a beting man I would bet it does.

14. 808K

808K Senior Stratmaster

And wear ear protection for doing every day loud things, like mowing the lawn. It’s worth the effort, you’ll be happy you did when you get older.

15. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

I got it but I have a strange ability to ignore it... for the most part..

16. stratnutz

stratnutz Senior Stratmaster

When I was about 10 years old I found my grandfathers gun in a closet,
    I pulled the trigger. my right ear rang for a week, its still blown out to some degree.
    But ole lefty is much better.

abnormaltoy and simoncroft like this.
  17. MrYeats

MrYeats Senior Stratmaster

I fired a 357 magnum Colt revolver 90 times with no hearing protection. I got in my truck and closed the door, I did not hear it close. I started the engine, again, I did not hear it. I turned on the radio, no sound. Then it hit me. I had become deaf. I drove home and several hours later my hearing crept back in.. That was 25 years ago. I still hear the field full of crickets all the time.

18. MrKrabs

MrKrabs Strat-Talker

Ears still ringing... Getting a hearing test with an audiologist tomorrow.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  19. Thrup'ny Bit

It's the best thing to do. I hope it goes well and there's some good news for you. Good luck.

abnormaltoy and MrKrabs like this.
  20. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm sorry you've got this problem. I've 'Liked' a lot of posts in this thread because the more people discuss the problem, hopefully, the more people's hearing we can protect in the future. The number of us who have tinnitus on this forum is pretty scary.

More scary is the fact I was in a holiday camp recently, and the 'family entertainment' – much of which was aimed at small kids so their parent could get quietly off their faces – was at horrific volume levels with really heavy bass. Even past 11 o'clock, there were mothers rocking babies to sleep in their buggies in a hall where the SPL was so high I had ear protectors in! What chance have these kids got if they are half-way deaf before they even start school?

Short-term exposure to high volume levels doesn't normally cause permanent damage unless the sound levels are really extreme. However, if affects each one of us differently, so there are no guarantees. Continual exposure to high volume levels will almost undoubtedly cause you misery as you get older.

When I say 'misery', I know what I'm talking about. My tinnitus is almost constant now, and it means I won't play in a band situation, or listen to music for prolonged periods. I don't even take part in the Jams or Challenges on ST any more. Even a comedy gig I went to a few days ago got a bit loud and shouty towards the end, and it's increased the noise level I perceive most of the time.

Good luck. I hope your problems will die down over time. Whether they do or don't, please take care of your hearing. Not only is it a valuable connection to the outside world, and so many things you value, having some of it replaced by an imaginary 'hash' really is a life-changer.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.