Tips for sanding the back of a neck?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by tanta07, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Dudeman7

Dudeman7 Strat-Talker

That's the stuff! Funny thing, I just used one of those on the gloss finish on a Strat neck moments ago.

Worked great and only took a few passes. Not messy and the neck looks like it did before I started. Feels much nicer, though.

tanta07 likes this.
  2. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

Um.....be really cautious and very gentle or you'll be wearing nothing but shirts without a collar for a couple of weeks. :whistling:

telepraise likes this.
  3. sadmoodyfrazier

sadmoodyfrazier Senior Stratmaster

Best tip is not to do that. Try something wax based to clean the back of the neck and you will discover that it will not be sticky anymore. If you will polish also the body of the guitar it will slip everywhere when you play in sitting position.

brians likes this.
  4. tanta07

tanta07 Senior Stratmaster

LOL Whut?

nuculer terrist and soulman969 like this.
  5. tanta07

What's something wax-baed I should try?

6. soulman969

The topic was sanding a neck. Just being my usual off the wall self.

I admit to having a strange sense of humor. :D

nuculer terrist and tanta07 like this.
  7. tanta07

LOL okay, now I'm picking up what you're putting down!

soulman969 likes this.
  8. soulman969

I'm sure it's the altitude out here......trust me. ;) LOL

tanta07 likes this.
  9. sadmoodyfrazier

sadmoodyfrazier Senior Stratmaster

I use this one:

[​IMG]

10. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

cleaning and waxing the neck and starting with clean hands when playing may solve your problem. any car wax without silicone is good since the guitars finish is basically the same as a cars.

i use a white scotchbrite which is the finest "grit" of scotchbrite, it barely dulls the finish because it is so fine but it works for me.

the green version will for sure smooth and slickify the back of the neck but it will be a lot duller than it is now.

but since the finish is only being scuffed it can still be brought back to a full polish if you wanted.

11. TomH8

TomH8 Senior Stratmaster

What exactly do the pads do? I have used them before and I like them, but I am just curious. Because the gloss absolutely comes back, but it looks and feels like it is taking off finish

12. TheGASIsReal

TheGASIsReal Strat-Talk Member

I removed the nitro from my neck via steel wool, and then fine grit sand paper (3000, 5000, 7000.) I applied some ColorTone vintage amber stain, and refinished it with tung oil, and gunstock wax.. Looks and feels great! The steel wool is indeed messy.

The_Whale likes this.
  13. Rbert0005

Rbert0005 Strat-Talker

I use burgundy scotchbrite pads to start with then grey scotchbrite, and then a coat of car polish.

Works great!

Bob

tanta07 likes this.
  14. cpk313

cpk313 Strat-Talk Member

Well I guess I'll put out a different route to go. I was never 100% happy with the results I got from scotch brite'ng a neck so I end up taking the finish off the back off a neck and refinishing it with tru-oil like Ernie Ball necks. I would only do it with a guitar that you don't plan on selling or with the realization that it will almost surely devalue the guitar. With a guitar I know is a keeper I make them feel how I like them to feel. Like with anything go slow, and take your time if you want to do it and there are a number of threads on the application process of tru-oil finish for a guitar neck which varies from the directions on the bottle a bit.

tanta07 likes this.
  15. Richard McKay

Richard McKay Strat-Talker

The green pads remove finish and they dull the gloss on the neck. I just give mine a rub down each time I change strings. Nothing too aggressive. You can buff it back up to gloss if you don't like it.

At the other extreme, I have a MIM Strat where I removed the finish from the back of the neck completely. It was getting sticky from the oils in my hands. The guys at the custom shop (Thanks, Dale!) gave me the tip of using a piece of burlap to rub down the unfinished neck. That works great and you get a finish like your great grandfather's axe handle. Perfect.

16. telepraise

telepraise Strat-O-Master

The pads are putting fine scratches in the surface of the finish just like sandpaper. A gloss finish allows a suction vacuum (poor wording) when wet. Really fine grit is just abrading the surface of the finish without cutting through a layer. The courser the grit, the deeper the scratches and more of the finish removed. Your hand stroking the neck polishes it back up over time. A partial solution is putting on a satin finish that gets really hard (2 part catalyzed finish) and won't be as quick to get polished smooth with hand wear.

17. telepraise

telepraise Strat-O-Master

This is common practice with violins and mandolins. In the mandolin world it's called "speed necking"

cpk313 likes this.
  18. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Take the neck off and get a small dish of warm soapy water. Put a half of piece of OOOO steel wool in the water, then lightly scrub the neck lengthwise with the wet steel wool. This will de gloss the neck in seconds giving a smooth wood feel without removing all the finish. Scotch Brite is a lot slower and leaves a more inconsistent sheen without being extra meticulous when de glossing the neck.

19. lutzy54

lutzy54 New Member!

I use a fairly well worn Scotch Brite pad, as opposed to a brand new one.

20. gguitar55

gguitar55 Strat-Talk Member

I discovered the Scotch Brite method myself and I see it's very popular. Go gentle and see if you like it. If you want to go back to gloss or you think it was too sanded you can try polishing the neck with Virtuoso Polish. I took a satin finish Gibson 333 body to a nice aged shine with that stuff. Works great.