Join Strat-Talk Today

Tired of Copycat Players

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by antisinglecoil, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Kind of along the same lines as Willie's post, this song is about just getting the catchy "hook" and not writing a fully-fledged original song. Listen to the melody and tell me what it's based on:D:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdz5kCaCRFM

2. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

Pachalbell's Cannon in D?

3. bblooz

bblooz Senior Stratmaster

We all want to emulate the guitarists we idolize. SRV took elements from Hendrix, Albert King, Tbone, etc. in making his style. The thing is, that we put our own "twist" on what we play and that way, make it our own. If not, you're just a "wannabe".

4. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

Good point. Lots of players get caught up playing guitar riffs and guitar licks instead of just musical riffs and licks.

5. Willie D

Willie D Pentatonic Hack Strat-Talk Supporter

What Stevie Ray had in terms of originality really boils down to attitude and approach.

6. Bad Monkey

Bad Monkey Senior Stratmaster Gold Member

Every time I hear someone say "he's not original" or "he's a wannabe" or "he's just trying to sound like so-and-so" it always makes me chuckle. There's only so many notes...so many chords...and so many ways to manipulate those notes and chords with your fretting hand and your attack. Sooner or later themes are going to repeat themselves. We identify most with things that we like...and those things find a way of creeping into our playing. Most of the time people who think they are blazing their own trail...creating their own sound if you will...often sound like someone else...either that or they just aren't very good...there's very few true originals out there...and those who are don't always resonate with the vast majority of listeners. When you go around trying to reinvent the wheel often times you're stuck with a rock that just won't roll :D

7. echoes71

echoes71 Senior Stratmaster

When I am doing solos, I just go by sound and feel, have I been influenced, I am sure, but my solos sound like me, every time. Now, what of course worries me and I am sure others, and why they end up copying more than they should is... does anyone actually like MY sound? Will they listen to it and enjoy it? Hard to say.

8. ccalda

ccalda Strat-O-Master

9. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

We have a winner. :D

I don't consider myself a BT fan, but the way they use it here is actually kind of clever.

10. Mr. Lumbergh

Good god that was truly terrible. But then again, it is Fred Durst.

11. stratman in va

stratman in va Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

That is a very good point ! If you are serving the song then its about the music.

12. stealthycactus

stealthycactus Strat-Talker

Honestly every time i hear someone complaining that someone is a copycat i cant hep but laugh. Its music. I mean, so what if someone really loves SRV, or any other artist for that matter and learns their licks and tries to sound like them.

In the end it really boils down to an individual doing what they enjoy, so what if them copying an artist is what they enjoy. If they like it and love what they play, and share that love of music with others, thats great in my book. I see no reason to discount someone simply because they enjoy playing in an artists musical style, not everyone HAS to be original.

13. No457 Snowy

No457 Snowy Strat-Talk Member

Also, so many guitarists just listen to other guitarists and that's it. I think Guitarists who listen to other instruments and not just guitar sound fresher, Robben Ford is an example, a killer Blues Guitarist, he cites Horn and keyboard players as major influences, they phrase differently and choose their notes differently than guitarists. As a result, he has an ability to use basic tools like a Blues scale and sound down-home or very sophisticated doing it, without quoting the standard SRV licks.

14. supershifter2

supershifter2 Strat-Talker

i dont try to play like others. i take my guitar and play what i'm thinking. my 2 favorite geetarist are Blackmore and Winter but i would never want to play like them, never. i like having my own style.

15. michplayer

michplayer Senior Stratmaster

Hell, one of the best compliments I ever received on my playing was a girl asking me, "You listen to a lot of electric violin, don't you?" and we discussed Ponty and L. Shankar.
    I'm very pleased when people recognize my influences.

16. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Yeah I respectfully disagree. I think we all build on what came before. Im not a fan of being an srv clone but..he is great influence. Look at the guys he has influenced. Mayer, Shepherd to name a couple. Probably Sayce too.

I agree that one should try to have multiple influences but, I cant fault a guy for being inspired by srv.

About the writing thing. Im not very good at it so I literally think ," how would so and so do this". Im so bad it usually comes out unrecognisable anyway. At that point I can claim it as mine. :)

17. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth breathin' knuckle dragger Strat-Talk Supporter

The general tone of this thread seems like a race to fulfill as many these steps as can be done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ECgsfBzO6w

Some of the posts sound a lot like what might have been heard from wagon makers once cars started becoming popular. Pop music, now as always, is mostly crap...Frankie Avalon, Bobby Sherman, Beyoncé...easily digestible air sandwiches to fill time between phone calls at work.

Great point. The kiss of death to almost any thing is the "He's the next..." Lang, KWS and a few others came out of the chute with a pig iron albatross around their necks. Luckily most of them shed that yoke.

One of these days, when I rebuild my financial empire :))) and can record some stuff to put on here...you'll hear (hopefully) that even the stuff I copy sounds like me. Me playing a Clapton, Knopfler or whatever song. A little like them, but a lot like me and everyone I've built on. Believe me Duane Allman and Buck Dharma are an odd pairing.

Right on so many counts. I wasn't a student of the old guys, but I listened to an awful lot of the old blues guys while I was young. I couldn't tell you, this particular run can from this player from that album...I just stole that lick and used it when the time was right.

Bingo. I was watching a lesson from Guthrie Govan, talking about teaching blues players scales and crap. He said something to this effect...they play the scales as fast as the can and they become very unmusical scale players.

Triplets and other weedly deedlys have their place, but no one walks around (maybe no one is the wrong term) humming triplets...even with a Metallica song one would hum the...melody.

And in the end, I'll do it my way :) I don't care if at some point "hip" players are all in Zither and Tuba ensembles...I will play what I want...even if it's just me and a few friends (other dinosaurs) in the garage. The folks in the "if it ain't original, it's McMusic" camp are fooling themselves...unless, they have reams and reams of publish, produced and released songs.

18. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

PS Im in a tribute band and its fun and its been a great learning experience too!

19. T Bone Slort

T Bone Slort "Was you ever stung by a dead bee?" Strat-Talk Supporter

What a great thread. Well done guys!

20. Hoob

Hoob Senior Stratmaster

What? What are you even saying? I can't even disagree more with you buddy. I mean for real. Guitar music ain;t gone no where. Granted Hendrix is not alive and there really is not someone who is innovating like he did.

But, our music ain't over. I have been in Michigan long enough to see some good players. Unless you are talking about the radio...but who cares about that?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.